Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

no backup lights

ramone899ramone899 Member Posts: 3
Hi all. The backup lights on my '97 Outback (151K miles) stopped working one night. I figure it's the backup light switch since new bulbs didn't work either. Is the switch hard to replace? Can I trust online providers to sell me the correct replacement switch, and help me avoid paying the dealer's price? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    If you use a reputable source, I'm sure you'll have no problem. For example, I've found Rock Auto to be reliable and fast. I have also used Amazon Auto, but you have to be a little more careful with them (especially with small accessory items like bulbs), as they sometimes don't get their fitment lists correct. Be sure to read the reviews there, as if something doesn't fit, somebody else has probably already discovered that for you!

As for the switch, it's not a common thing to stop working, so there likely aren't many owners who have dealt with it! Make sure you check fuses and whatnot before you start throwing parts at it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250