Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Chevy Equinox engine problem/stalling/rough idle . . . Yikes!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    kindaobsessedkindaobsessed Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox that started stalling for no reason at or around 48K miles. It did not happen enough to really concern me and I hate dealing with dealerships when needing warranty work so I dealt. Got my oil change at 49K miles and they stated the oil was very dirty almost looked like diesl oil so I paid them to flush the system out. I got the oil changed again at 55k miles, over the last 7k miles it would stall randomly but was usually in a parking lot when i was going very slow. This week it started sounding very rough, shaking at idle, stalling out and the last day it was stalling out every stop light. On Wed. night I got off at 9pm, went to Target, it would not start. I was stuck in the Target parking lot, with no cell phone (I had forgotten my phone that day). I had to walk about a mile to the iHop so I could get on wifi because I did have my laptop with me. I texted my daughter to pick me up, having to wait until she got off work at 2am. So I was stuck at the iHop until 2:30am in a rough area of town. I took that time to get a rental set up for the next morning. Chevy roadside assistance had my car picked up the next day and the dealership called the next day asking for my oil change receipts. WOW! All of these same complaints and they are trying to blame me for the issue. We are working on getting the receipts together but I am amazed that with these exact same stories they can sleep at night trying to get out of fixing my car. My brother in law is a certified mechanic and changes his own oil, what if he was in my situation? I have always swore by Chevrolet, making sure my kids alway got a chevelort car but now they are losing my loyalty. I used to say I will never buy anything but Chevy, my rental car is a Toyota Camry and it is looking better and better with every interaction I am having with the dealership.
  • Options
    armstrong817armstrong817 Member Posts: 1
    Oh not good I see similar issues I am having! I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox and today as I was pulling into my parking space everything just shut off as I was coming to park, scared me so much. I was 45 min away from home and called my husband to come and follow me home as it was 110 degrees out and did not want to be stranded on the side of the road. SCARY!  Made appt with the dearlership tomorrow am hope they can figure out, but from previous posts I am skeptical :( 
  • Options
    donntanyadonntanya Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2011 Chevy Traverse. We keep having problems with it sputtering and stalling out. We have had it in the dealer several times and everytime we take it in they tell us that their are no codes and they cannot duplicate the problem. The last time it was in was about 9 months ago and the tightened up a fuse panel under the hood and said that it was loose so the ground may not be grounded all the way. They said they have had that problem before. He showed me how to tighten it if it happens in the future. LOL Now i am pretty mechanically inclined and that is a simple task to do but why would i want to have to do this. Thats just silly. My wife does not feel comfortable driving her car as it has stalled out in the middle of an intersection before. We only have a few months left paying on this car, we love the way it drives and are pretty happy with it other than this problem. Not sure what to do as the dealer cannot find the problem. Anyone have this problem or know what i should do to resolve this ? HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE. HELP ME. LOL
  • Options
    grace215grace215 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2016
    I'm having similar issues with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. Bought used from Chevy dealership and it now has about 93,000 miles. The most persistent issue has been the jerking forward when we are in Drive and stopped at a light (for example). At first we thought it was oil consumption - we found the oil was unexpectedly low, refilled it and the jerking went away. But it came back when the oil was totally full. It's now sitting at PepBoys with them saying the oil has gotten into places it should not be and damaged the engine (not confident in their diagnosis though). At this point it has turned into a money pit.
  • Options
    papouno51papouno51 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 equinox. I was very happy with it for over a year when I suddenly started to hear a noise from the motor. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a normal noise for this vehicle. About a year later the car would slow down to under 25 miles per hour it also consumed a lot of oil. I took it to the dealer and they corrected the problem by putting in a new part. Then my A/C had problems and they fixed that. 5 years and 5 months later with only 88,000 miles the transmission blew. I had to take it to a certified trans. repair shop because the dealer wanted 4250.00 to rebuild. I had it done for 2600.00. Before all this I asked GM about this and they said I was out of warranty. Now I get a message that my power steering has a problem. Is there anyway to get financial help through GM because of all these problems.
  • Options
    CrelytCrelyt Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2011 Chevy Equinox with the same issue had to have half the engine rebuilt and we are still having stalling issues and extreme oil consumption. This will literally be the last Chevy we ever own, the dealership jerked us around until our warranty ran out and then they magically found multiple problems a month after our warranty was out. Never again Chevy!
  • Options
    Chanty_chan666Chanty_chan666 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2019
    Why is there no recalls yet, this is ridiculous what we have to go through with this vehicle...
    ANY BODY KNOW OF A LAW SUIT GOING ON WE CAN ALL JOIN IN ON...FRIGG MAN SO FRUSTRATING AS A SINGLE MOM
  • Options
    ch3no2ch3no2 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2011 Equinox has had the engine replace due to coolant in the oil, That engine has had pistons & rings due to oil consumption, still consumes oil like crazy. Now oil is leaking from under vehicle due to PCV system plugging & blowing out rear main seal. All are well known problems but GM does not want to take care of them. This has to be the worst vehicle GM has ever built. Lifetime customer but don't know if we will ever buy another one!!!
  • Options
    RedcarRedcar Member Posts: 1
    2011 Equinox, 4 cyl, 155,000 miles. Owned since new. Tip-in stall or sag off idle. Engine stalls occasionally when accelerating from idle at red light, for example. This has been occurring only recently. I suspect fuel injectors may need to be cleaned. I've read all the problems but mine may be different because the "tip-in" stall or "sag" has only shown up within that last 1000 miles. Yes, my check engine light is on and oil consumption is 1 qt/1000 miles.
    I'm not planning any major repairs due to high miles but wonder if any one has found that having the injectors serviced has helped. Thanks