-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Buying a 2003 Impreza Automatic?

sbgoreesbgoree Member Posts: 1
edited May 2013 in Subaru
I'm a brand new driver. I bought a 2002 Impreza 2.5TS Manual. Got in an accident two days later, and the damage was enough to total the car even tho it was drivable. I bought it through a private sale.

I'm thinking of buying a 2003 Impreza 2.5TS Automatic that is at a Subaru dealership here. But I know my Mom and Aunt who had 90's Subaru's w/ automatic transmissions had nothing but problems.

I'm thinking an automatic may be safer for me. I like that I could share the car on road trips with friends, and it may be more logical for a new driver who wants to live in a downtown area of Denver.

My concerns:

I want it to do well in the snow. I've heard manual means better control but Subaru's are AWD so maybe it doesn't matter.

I want it looked over by a reputable mechanic since they have some negative service reviews, but I don't know how to go about that with a massive dealership.

I'm also paying for it with savings. It has 118,883 miles, the one I bought before had 169,524 miles on it.

So any advice?

Comments

• Options
    jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    Transmission should be fine. I have a 2001 Outback wagon with over 210,000. Tranny has been fine. Have the mechanic check the head gaskets. Those are more likely to fail.