Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

F-150 Owners

Comments

• Options
    BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    The new style seems to have grown on most people. If it truly is an ugly truck, and they still have so many people buying it over the Dodge, that sure wouldn't say much for the Dodge once you get past it's appearance.

Personally, I think the new Superduties are the toughest, best looking trucks out there now. You can talk about copy cat, but when you really look at the design, the similarity between the Dodge and the SD comes down to the fact that Ford raised the hood a little to accomodate the larger V-10 engine. Set a Dodge and a Superduty side by side, and it's pretty obvious that the two trucks share very little in common, appearance-wise.
  • Options
    darrincdarrinc Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody know if the "Piston Slap" problem
    with the 1998 5.4L engine has been fixed in the
    new 1999 5.4L Engine.
  • Options
    saintjohnsaintjohn Member Posts: 10
    I hear ya Brutus. I think you're right on all counts but one. It must be just my taste in pickup trucks because as hideous as I think the F-150's look there sure is a lot of people buying them??????
    Also I suppose most people use some intelligence when making a pickup purchase and put quality and reliablility ahead of looks. BUT while the superduties are actually not a bad lookin truck they still got a ways to go Brutus!!! Eh??? But at least they look like a truck and not a car with a box bolted on the back :)
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    A lot of people accuse Ford of ripping off Dodge's styling on their new Supper Dutys. Frankly, I think there is also a lot of influence from the recently redesigned Ford AeroMax/Louisville Class 8 (now Sterling) trucks. The grille, in particular, has similar "raging-bull-nostrils" that the big trucks have.

Bob
  • Options
    TexasAggieTexasAggie Member Posts: 9
    I had an Ford up til a couple of months ago. Personally I always found that those who bash other's trucks (i.e., the Calvin window stickers) are obviously trying to make up for any personal shortcomings or to try to reassure themselves of their purchase. If I recall correctly from my marketing classes, it's called buyer remorse. Don't feel bad, dodge trucks are too bad I guess.
  • Options
    TexasAggieTexasAggie Member Posts: 9
    that should be are NOT too bad
  • Options
    dja1dja1 Member Posts: 5
    dja here again just got my truck back from ford.
    Lost 1 & 2 gear. They replaced the forks thats all
    still have a little grinding going in to 3rd. Does
    any one know where to start if i don't want to keep this lemon? what's a girl to do.
  • Options
    AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    Bogieman,
    Thanks for the reply. I understand how busy a week can be. I'm still in the market for my new F250 SD, and I didn't even think to look in Tampa. I'm in Naples, about 157 miles (two hours) south of Tampa. I'll give Bill Currie Ford a call today to see what they have or what kind of deal they can work me. Thanks for the tip!
    Ryan
  • Options
    magic13magic13 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have prices for the 99's yet? I'm deciding on whether to get a 98 or 99 XLT V8 4.6L. I'd appreciate any response
  • Options
    jjsonjjson Member Posts: 42
    magic13,
    I have ordered a '99 F-150 and awaiting prices as well. Ford has announced '99 prices on trucks to increase less than 1.5% over '98(for comparably equipped). I believe if you bought a '99, you would realize an increase in value at trade in time over a '99. That should more than off-set any increase cost for the '99.
    Good shopping, good luck!
  • Options
    I haven't heard anything firm on the new prices, but if I were you, I'd consider weighing the new 99 features against a 98 off the lot price (usually at or below invoice with incentives). The 99 has a larger grille, redesigned bumber, increased hp (about 20) and torque (not much), and FOUR doors.
    If you buy a 98 off the lot right now, you can get 1.9% financing for up to 4 years, and the dealer has an incentive of $300-700/truck.

Good luck,
    Ryan
  • Options
    I've seen the projected price increase for Ford, but I can't remember it. It's reasonable, definitely less than 3%, and I want to say it's closer to 1.5%. Ford as a whole will lower prices in 99 by about 1/2%, but that's because they are lowering the price on the cars. The trucks will have a slight increase.

It doesn't appear that the price increase should be a deal maker or breaker. However, Airwolf hit on the real point. The advantage of buying a 98 isn't the difference in the sticker prices. It's the incentives, rebates and interest rates that they will be offering to sell the remaining 98 models. When you add these savings and the slight increase, the difference will likely be thousands of dollars and may be a deal maker or a deal breaker. I've got to believe that when the 99s start showing up on the lot with their four doors, they will have to lower the price of the 98 three door models even more to make them more attractive to prospective purchasers.
  • Options
    ron4ron4 Member Posts: 24
    Anyone have any info on ext. colors for the 99?

I was going to originally order in bright red (fire engine red) but the dealer said their was a new color for 99 called medium toredour red. He described it as a candy apple red like in the 98 Expeditions. I changed the order to that.

When I checked the "candy apple red" Expeditions, they were actually "laser red clear coat".

The 98 Explorers are in toredour red, which is a medium dark red. I noticed that color looked quite different depending on which color it was with, and even seemed to change appearance from striping colors.

There is also an "electric red" found in the Mustangs.

Is "med toreduour red cc" different from "toredour red cc"? I really wanted fire engine or candy apple red.
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    The '99 F-series brochure is out and at your dealerships -- go take a look!

It combines both lines, SD and LD. It has colors in it, too. For the F150s, there are no less than three reds.
  • Options
    jajujaju Member Posts: 18
    does anyone know about a "soft" camper shell that can be pushed back up against the cab when not needed? I saw one on a pickup years ago and it looked like just the thing to keep stuff dry but quickly switch to an open bed for large items, any help will help! THANKS!
  • Options
    Stanford,

Thanks for the response, but all the dealers in my area are out of the flyers/brocheres for the 1999's.

Was anyone lucky enough to get one? If so, what are the names and descriptions of the red colors
    in it?
  • Options
    All F-series:

Oxford White
    Silver Metallic
    Bright Red
    Dark Toreador Red Metallic
    Black Clearcoat

F150 Only:

Harvest Gold Metallic
    Teal Metallic
    Medium Toreador Red Metallic
    Amazon Green Metallic
    Deep Wedgewood Blue Metallic

SD Only:

Light Prarie Tan Metallic
    Bright Amber Metallic
    Woodland Green Metallic
    Dark Hunter Green Metallic
    Wedgewood Blue Metallic
  • Options
    Is this the color they are using to replace last year's failed blue?
  • Options
    Yes -- its a fairly pathetic blue IMO. Some folk seem to like it though.
  • Options
    Stanford.

Thanks for the post on colors.

Is the med toredour red the same as toreador red?
    Is it a dark red too (dark toreador red is marroon), or is it more candy apple?

The dealer here doesn't even know. All he knows is that medium toreador red is "code FL".

Ron. ram@clubnetonline.com

ps: I tried to e-mail you but postmaster said undeliverable mail.
  • Options
    GRB123GRB123 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought the 98 F150 Supercab 4WD. I've put 800 miles on it so far and I love it. The dealer tried to push the "Protection Package" at time of sale. This includes undercoating. I turned it down. I never purchased undercoating before in a vehicle, but since this is my first pickup, I am wondering if I need undercoating. Any input, comments, or suggestions?
  • Options
    You might check out some of the post in the Smart Shopper conference concerning undercoating. IMO, you made the right decision not to get it. Ford comes with 100,000 rust warranty (at least they did in 1992). If you get really concerned about rust, you can always get it done at a place like Ziebart, or one of it's competitors. I've actually heard that the addition of the undercoating actually interferes with the undercoating that Ford puts on the trucks when they make them. I've also heard that the undercoating has a huge markup and basically just puts money in the dealer's pocket.
  • Options
    ron4,
    I have seen a '99 F-150 in Bright Red. If you are looking for firetruck red, that's it!
  • Options
    weebeeweebee Member Posts: 1
    Hello:
    I am in the market for a used pickup, preferably a F 150, Extended Cab. I would like to know what are the differences?(i.e. Lariat and other models) Also, what year did Ford redo the F 150's? What is the same year as the Explorers? Finally, what will be the price range?
  • Options
    The body style change for the F-150 was made with the 1997 model, although they sold the old and new body styles side-by-side while they changed their production lines at the factory.

The XL is the basic work truck, with no amenities, such as power anything, or special trim. The Lariat is the top of the line with almost every option as standard equipment. Generally, you can get leather interior, custom trim, power everything, trip computer etc. An XLT is closer to a Lariat than it is to an XL. The XLT has less options as standard material than the Lariat, but you can pretty much add on most of the Lariat options at additional cost. To see exactly what is and is not included in each package, check out the New Trucks section of this website or the Kelley Blue Book site (www.kbb.com). It will list each item that is standard equipment for each package.

As far as price, I'd check out the "Used Truck" sections of both of those sites. The XL trucks are obviously going to be the least expensive since they have the fewest options.
  • Options
    kip3kip3 Member Posts: 20
    avgjoe, Go with the 3.55 axle. In most driving situations you well get better mileage because the 3.55 will get the weight moving easier. On the highway you will encounter less "HUNTING" between overdrive and 3rd gear on hills or when towing. The only time the 3.08 would be beneficial is if most driving is on flat ground with little starting and stopping. kip3
  • Options
    There is an article about the new 1999 F-150 and F-250LD trucks at the Truckworld website (www.truckworld.com). Click on truck tests once you get into the site and you will find it. Here were some of the things they mentioned.

Exterior changes have been made to the bumper, grille, wheels, and body molding. They have also made the four door standard on the extended cabs and replaced the flat side steps with tubular ones. A 3.73 axle ratio and 17" tires will also be an option.

Interior changes have been made to the door panels, front seats (wider, softer, more supportive), and the audio system. The audio system will have speed compensated volume control. That should be interesting. It will be louder at highway speeds, but will quiet down as you reduce speed or come to a stop.

They have added 15 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque to the 5.4L to give it more low end pulling power. In a drag race against a Dodge and Chevy with all vehicles pulling a 20,000 pound trailer, the Ford pulled ahead within 100 feet, although the 454 Chevy pulled ahead by a 1/2 length at about the 1/2 way point of the 1/4 mile. The Ford clearly did better than the Dodge or Chevy when it came to low rpm, hole-shot power. (I'm only reporting what I read.)
  • Options
    rexallenrexallen Member Posts: 11
    I would like to put a comment in on the big 3, Ford Dodge and Gmc(Chev).
    The new Dodge is a piece of s---, Transmision problems because they wern't big enough. New brakes at 24,000 to 30,000 because of the cheap rotors. Front end problems because the parts wouldn't hold up. Remember back when Chrysler almost went under, it was because of poor quality. It seems they are getting back in that groove again. I was a loyal General Motors person back in the 80's and then switched to Chrysler and have had some pretty good luck.
    I owned a Ford F-150 4X4 '89. I bought it used with 20,000 miles. I just sold it with 99,000 miles and I'm here to tell you it was the best vehicle I've ever had. At about 70,000 miles the paint started to peel off and I called Ford Motor Company and they told me to take it to a dealer and have it looked at. The dealer notified Ford and about a month later my Truck was in the shop getting a new paint job. They even painted it two-tone and it was only silver before. I also got a free rental car while they did the work. I'd say thats pretty good for being the second owner.
    My friend had a 81 Suburban that he bought new and when the paint started to peel, he took it to a General Motors dealer and was given the run around by General Motors. They told him they would repaint it, but he would have to bear part of the expense. He told them to stick it.
    Where would you buy your next TRUCK, Its a no brainer!!!! FORD
  • Options
    rexallen,
    Did you hear that Chrysler was going to sue Ford?
    It seems Lee Iacoca was going to go to Ford and try to teach them how to build really crappy vehicles!
    FORD RULES!
  • Options
    SDRSDR Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to purchase an 98, F-150 extended cab. I though I wanted a 3.08 rear end but I'm confused. What is the difference between a 3.08 and the 3.55? The majority of the trucks on the local dealers lots are 3.55. I will be doing the majority of my driving in town. I want good milage on the highway and will occasionally be pulling a small, light boat (800 Lbs.). Will the 3.55 give me good hauling/pulling power but bad highway milage? After test driving both I see they both turn 2000 RPM at 70 MPH. What exactly is this the ratio of? Please enlighten.
  • Options
    I just read something this morning about the new generation F-150s, that if they are over the rated GVW, run the risk of the rear springs coming in contact with the gas tank, thus risking a potential fire hazard.

Ford has apparently just issued a recall regarding this.

Bobn
  • Options
    The problem as described is somewhat unlikely. Looking at the frame ('99 FSeries book, page 7) the rear springs don't come near the gas tank. I'm not saying that there isn't a problem, but that one doesn't seem likely.
  • Options
    stanford

The problem may well be unlikely. I'm sure Ford wants to make sure they nip it quickly if there's any potential fire hazard - thus the recall.

Bob
  • Options
    The Ford recall is for some '97 & '98 F-150 4-wheel drive pick-ups(approx. 247,000, of which 44,000 are in Canada). According to Ford, if the p/u is overloaded, it could cause the springs to break and strike the fuel tank. So far, no accidents, injuries or fires have been reported to Ford.
  • Options
    GRB123GRB123 Member Posts: 4
    SDR: I just purchased a 98 F150 with a 3.55 axle ratio. I have to tow a bigger boat (5000 lbs) so I really needed it. I was also worried about the mileage. So far I've filled the tank five times. I am averaging 16 mpg city and 20 mpg highway. I am happy with that. That's better mileage than my 6 cylinder Explorer ever gave me. You will burn more gas with a 3.55, but I don't think that it would be significant. If you are going to tow, get the 3.55.
  • Options
    cruffmcruffm Member Posts: 1
    I'm ready to buy and I know that I want a f-150 xlt extended cab 4X4 off-road package and the 5.4 liter engine. My questions are as follows: Has anybody out there bought a new one lately with similar options? If so , what did you pay? I don't want to pay over 24-25 K for the vehicle. Is it more realistic to shop for a 1997 model with low mileage or could a get a deal with the 1999 coming out?
  • Options
    mp1mp1 Member Posts: 7
    OK...so I'm going to wait a little while so I can test drive the 99 Siverado, but right now I have every intention of ordering a 99 F150 XLT xcab 5.4 4x4.

The only thing I'm debating is the off road package. I'm honest enough with myself to admit that this truck is going to see dirt very rarely. I'm getting the truck (with 4x4) because (1) I need to tow my boat, and I'd like to launch/retrieve from "primative" ramps, (2) have to deal with snow here in New England, and (3) I just feel comfortable in a truck (especially at 6'7" 260 lbs). But when I look at the off-road package I see: bigger wheels (kind of nice looking), fog lights (sounds useful), tachometer (others don't have this?), skid plate (useful? needed?), decal (I don't like it), heavy duty shocks (do I want these?).

Basically, my questions are: Any general opinions on the usefulness/value of the off-road package? What's the ride like with the big tires (i.e., Do they sing? Are they noisy?) Do the heavy-duty shocks hurt the ride much?

Also, anyone think I can order the off-road package WITHOUT that decal?
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    MP1
    You don't have to get the decal. I think you just need to tell the dealer you don't want it. Even if you do end up getting it, you can probably get someone to peel it off.

Off road packages usually don't offer bigger tires, they just offer more agressive tires. These will make more road noise. For what you described yourself using the truck, it doesn't sound like you need more agressive tires. i think you'd be more pleased with the less aggressive version. They ride bettter, make less noise, and steering would be more responsive. Its a tradeoff between the good looks.

Heavy duty shocks might make the ride better, it depends on the brand of shocks you get. Chevy's put Bilsteins on the Z71 package, and they make an AWESOME ride. A Z71 definitely rides smoother and better than their 2x4 half tons. I don't know what brand ford uses in their off road package. You need to drive or ride in one to make a comparison yourself.

skid plates will probably be useless to your needs. don't get the package for that reason.4

you need to consider what options you really want (fog lights, shocks, tires?), and see what it costs to add those options without getting the off road package. On chevys, the off road package use to be about $300 on top of a regular 4x4. the shocks alone are a $200 option. add on tires and skid plates, and you actually got more for your money by getting the offroad package.

overall needs, i don't think you need the package, but look at the overall value, and it might be the better way to go.
  • Options
    The trucks that I've seen with the Off-road package look really sharp, but cdean is right about the usefulness. It doesn't sound like it is essential for you. So, you need to determine if the cost is worth the improved appearance. I seem to remember the Off-Road package being about $650 for the F-150.

As far as the decal, I had the dealer remove mine on my 1992 F-250. I think they do it with a blow dryer.
  • Options
    mp1,
    The '99 F-150 prices are now @ www.kbb.com.
    You will find that the '99 F-150 XLT 4x4 comes with Fog Lights and Tachometer standard. I assume you would order the Towing Package(Invoice $340,Retail$400) that includes the HD Schocks. The Off Road Package (Invoice$973/Retail$1145) does include 17" light truck tires vs. 16" passenger tires that come standard. Also, the Off Road package comes with a 3.73 Rear end(Invoice$43/ Retail$50).
    Good luck...let us know how you make out.
  • Options
    Man, I was just there this morning and they weren't there. Now, later in the day, they are. Thanks for the info. It'll prepare me for this weekend.

ryan
  • Options
    mp1mp1 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info on the 99 prices! I've been waiting, too.

Anyone else have anything to add about the off-road package? Anybody have it, and wish they didn't? ...or not have it and wish they did?

Can you get 17" tires without the off-road package? Anyone have any general comments about increased road noise from "heavier duty" tires? ...or increased/decreased performance?
  • Options
    There's a SLX package (or was in '98) that comes with 17" wheels, but is 4X4. There's some form of sport package for '99 -- do you have a '99 brochure (they've been out for a month now)? Its in there.
  • Options
    I received my 1999 F-150 Supercab 4x4 9/2/98 (dealer advised me it was in 9/1/98). This larger dealer said it was the first 99 of only 2 they got.

It is BEAUTIFUL! The two tone paint scheme now goes on the lower 1 foot or so, and around the fender wells and across a valance panel on top and behind the front chrome bumper.

Great smooth and quiet ride and crisp handling.

The price appears virtually the same as those listed for 1997 and 1998. Looks like it was about 500.00 more, but the 4whl ABS brakes and anti-theft ignition (that were options in 99), are inc.
    99's also have clear lens fog lights, and tach.

I got the 5.4L w/3.55 rear end, electronic shift 4x4,skid plates, tow pkg, two tone paint, lmt slip rear end, and floor mats.

The invoice was $25,317 and the MSRP was $28,905 inc dest. but before tax and licence.

Feels good and torquey on acceleration.

One nice ride! Hopefully this thing will hold up and won't need any repairs for a long, long time.

It looks like Ford listens to their customers. Here are a few sutle things Ford did right, but can be everyday annoyances in other new vehicles.

* The headlights DONT go on in the day unless YOU turn them on.

* The door locks DONT lock automatically.

* The power windows work even with the keys out of the ignition.
  • Options
    lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    "It looks like Ford listens to their customers."

Important point, I think. The manufacturer of my last pickup doesn't, and that's another reason why this time I switched to Ford (also an F150) and am glad I did.

I remember once sitting in a meeting at work (not related to auto industry) watching a presentation by someone trying to explain a potential new-product idea, and his last viewgraph contained points he thought had to be clarified by getting customers' opinions through a questionnaire. He didn't get to explain much, because right after he read the viewgraph heading to us, the ranking person in the room (a VP) thundered "We don't ask customers what they want, we tell them". I thought that was a pretty stupid remark, but I'll have to admit there seems to have been evidence of a lot of that in the last few decades, especially in the auto industry.
  • Options
    stanford & jjson

I just picked up the '99 F-Series brochure, and noticed that the '99 F-150 4x4s have a higher GVW/payload than the '97-'98s. This suggests that Ford beefed up the rear springs, which, I'm sure is in part, a response to the (overloading) recall.

Bob
  • Options
    alby1alby1 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone explain the logic behind Ford not offering electronic shift on the fly with the 4.6L manual transmission? Or,for that matter,why they don't offer the 5.4L with a manual?
  • Options
    Probably most folk who want a truck with a bigger engine just want a nice city vehicle and always pick the auto. Folk who really want a powerful engine to work with will go for the 250SD (at about the same price). Remember, Ford pays ~$1M to EPA certify a drivetrain combination in a vehicle -- they won't do it if there's no demand.
  • Options
    Correction on my post #255.

The electric window DONT work unless the key is on . I thought they did one time when the key was out, but I cant seem to get it to do it again.
  • Options
    ron4,

I think I read that the windows work for 10 minutes after you shut the truck off OR until you open a door. Give that a try. Once a door is open, the windows won't work until you turn the key on. The convenience is for those times you shut the truck off and forget to roll the window up.

Have you checked out the speed control volume on the stereo yet? I guess the volume adjusts as you slow down, so you don't have to turn the volume down, for example, when exiting a hwy. Not sure how successful that will be, but it sounded interesting.
This discussion has been closed.