Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New (to me) Mazda Protege

court_royalcourt_royal Member Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in Mazda
Hey there!

So I just purchased a 2001 Mazda Protege LX and it has recently started squealing. The old owner just told me that he had the timing belt replaced and that it might need to be tightened. When I contacted the shop the owner informed me that the timing belt never needs to get tightened and that it might be my serpentine belt. Since I am new to the Mazda family, I was hoping someone would inform me on what is normal for this car, what questions to ask, and things that I truly don't need that the shop is trying to get me to buy/fix.

Comments

• Options
    vocabularryvocabularry Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Hello!

My 2001 Protege made the exact same squealing noise upon start ups. Especially when it was cold. It was due to a worn drive belt, they're relatively cheap and it will most definitely solve your problem.

Regards.
  • Options
    esquidesquid Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

• Options
    esquidesquid Member Posts: 2

oh sorry im new to the website if you still having a problem with that noice i can insure you its the waterpump if your timing belt was replaced ricently