Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2000 Chevrolet Prizm RPMs

Hello. I'm looking to buy a 2000 Chevy Prizm off of Craigslist. I just took it for a test drive and have a question about the RPMs. I'm no car expert, and have driven the same car (2000 Chevy Cavalier) for many years. When driving the Prizm, the RPMs when driving 60-70mph ran about 3000-3500RPM, where my Cavalier will shift, bringing it down to around 2400 or so. Does this seem high, or am I just comparing apples to oranges since they are different vehicles.

Thanks for any advice!

Jim

Comments

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since we don't have many owners around, you might want to post this in our Quick, Technical Questions discussion as well - someone there should know if that sounds OK or not. Here's a link:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef2398d/

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    yurstrulyyurstruly Member Posts: 1
    hello, the Chevy Prizm is basically a toyota corolla 2000 "rebadge" .. you must have test drived the 3 matic instead of the 4 matic transmission.. i currently have the 3matic whic the rpm is at 3000 rpm range when driven around 60mph and above which is normal but affects the mileage a little bit compare to a 4matic transmission drive....