Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    But part of the appeal of the P5 is that it's still made in Japan...

There are no reports that this will change. I think all the doomsayers are a little off base. Besides the fact that the focus is a good platform, the new platform will have input from three distinct R&D centers. I would reserve judgment until there is more info about the product.
  • taddisontaddison Member Posts: 99
    If the new Protege/P5 is really coming out early next year then perhaps they'll announce it at the upcoming Paris Auto Show.

I wonder if it will retain the Protege name or become the Mazda3 or something similar.
  • dwryterdwryter Member Posts: 87
    Thanks, folks, for the responses about the mirror. And an extra-large thanks to stropro5 for pointing out what I should have noticed, that the mirror also pivots near the windshield. I've been monitoring this group since early April when I got my P5 and never saw the original post with this information. So your notice was helpful as can be. I don't think I'll get the compass/mirror now, unless there's a way to switch them without removing the attachment plate from the windshield, a question I'll ask the dealer Wednesday.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I imagine the next protege will come out around the same time as the next Focus which I read somewhere will be 2004.
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

I'm not sure about this being here, but it isn't a "repair" so I won't go there. I'm planning on installing a CB radio into the storage slot under the radio/HVAC area in the dash. That small storage slot is just big enough ... if I cut through the back of it. A CB is handy when dealing with traffic delays on long interstate trips.

Has anyone done anything similar? It was pretty straightforward in my last Civic, but in the P5 the storage slot is part of a big plastic piece that runs all the way back to the storage box under the driver's elbow. Also - anyone look at installing antennas on the rear? Trunk lip mount looks out - maybe a small magmount...

Thanks,
    Brian
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Meade has done something similar in his ES. Ask him again tomorrow if he misses your above post.
    Driving with the rear windows halfway down and the fronts mostly or all the way up makes for pretty quiet flowthrough ventilation, but I'm getting a fluttering sound from both sides at about 40MPH and up. The service guy at the dealer said this morning they'll check it out, but it may be just the way the car is. I'd like to get a reading of how common the problem is. Can you please respond if you drive this way and let me know if you do or do not have the problem? It'd be nice to be able to report others' experiences when Service calls back. Thanks!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    What you're experiencing is the normal buffeting sensation that occurs when you hit the resonance frequency of your car's interior. This is also easily induced by opening the sunroof with the windows closed - find the right opening combined with the right speed, and bingo! Big time buffeting and vibration. The cure is putting the windows up, opening other windows to compensate, or cracking open the sunroof if you have one... anything to change the airflow into the interior.
    >>>The cure is putting the windows up, opening other windows to compensate, or cracking open the sunroof if you have one... anything to change the airflow into the interior. <<<

I tried all that, silver_bullet, but nothing helps. On my wife's Saturn the buffeting starts when a back window is lowered, but stops when a front is opened to compensate, just as you say. But in the P5, nothing helps. Makes me wonder if it's a problem with the moulding, but it seems odd it would be happening on both sides.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    My wife drive a 2002 cr-v and if you have all windows close and open any of the back one a lil bit (60mph)at the time you will feel like a seahawk *helo* is hovering on top of you. it is that bad so either open the window all the way or you might have to open another one too.
    Greetings from sunny Miami
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Seriously, the effect is normal for most vehicles that move through a medium like air or water.

To lessen it, open the fronts more, close the rears more, run your ventilation fan (seems kind of silly to run this when your windows are open, huh?), anything to try to change the air flow through your interior. You could even try to put those window deflectors on to change the airflow around your car. (IMO, these are kind of ugly)

For freeway-speed open-window driving, I find it's best with the rear windows open a little bit (about an inch or less) and the fronts closed, with the vent set to "fresh" instead of "recirculate". There is still buffeting, but is of a higher frequency and lower amplitude (faster buffeting, but not nearly as strong). This is OK for the front passengers, but apparently is noisy for rear-seat passengers.
    I just realized that the fluttering noise somehow got interpreted (with my assistance) as buffeting, which is different. What I'm hearing is what sounds like the moulding vibrating in the wind, as if it were loose. Strikes me as odd that it's happening on both sides.
    If you're experiencing something other than normal wind buffeting, perhaps something is amiss with your roof rack. Point it out to a technician while you drive, and see what they make of it.
    took a demo ride on the mp5 a/t with the dual shift thing very nice ride one thing what is the *Mid Cycle Refresh* thing is ? THE CAR HAVE A NICE STAND AND SPEED FELT GOOD.
    GREETINGS FROM SUNNY MIAMI
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    (1) sport-shift auto tranny (vs. standard auto tranny)
    (2) side turn markers on front fenders
    (3) tweeters in front doors where mirrors meet door
    (4) deeper, uncovered cupholders
    (5) new, squarer-spoked wheels
    (6) leather shift knob (manual tranny)
  • stoli25stoli25 Member Posts: 14
    Is that true that 2003 P5 will get stronger engine?
    But I haven't seen anything yet. It was supposed to be a Mazdaspeed version, but it was supposed to be unveiled during this summer. Oh well, maybe they were feeling people out.

Hey, the laser blue mica available only on the MP3 before is now a color option for the 2003 P5. Ought to look nice. :)
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    In the current body style (sedan only) there will be the limited edition "Mazdaspeed" with suspension, wheel and tire upgrades, and a 170hp turbo engine.

When the entire line is redesigned for 2004, on a completely new platform* there will be a 150hp, 2.3 liter 4cyl.

* this platform will also carry the nex-gen focus, baby jag, Mondeo, and Volvo 40-series cars.
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    So I'm in having my passenger mirror fixed (vandalism) and asked how much it was for the 24,000km service. So now I'm curious how much people are paying for this third service. The number they came up with is $130, right off the top of his head. I live in Canada (London Ontario) so if anyone in Toronto has had this done, it would be great to hear what its like there.

thanks.
    You don't need to goto the dealer for the 24000 km service.

It's basically a bunch of checks along w/ the regular oil/filter change. Check the manual for details.

I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.
    Most of the time they will do a basic check not worth the $$ for it, if you can do the oil and filter, do it your self you wont hurt anythig,but if you think that there is your chance to tell the dealer to check any problem or, to have you questions answered.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    its nice to see somebody else from south florida on this board. welcome. i am in pembroke pines.
    what do you people think about the fog lights are they bright?(sure they are big)
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I've used them during heavy rain at night, and they do help light up the road - but they are aimed too low. Obviously you can't shut off the main beams (which would help in really bad fog), but I think the existing fog lights would do more good if aimed up a bit - which I'll probably do, with or without the dealer's help.

Of course, they are fog, not driving lights, so I don't expect them to go down the road very far (driving lights should be mounted higher).

Brian
    I thought real "fog lights" were supposed to be amber/yellow in colour. White light is reflected too easily in fog, causing reflections to come back at the drive, hampering fog driving more. Right?
    By the way, to answer my own question: including cord length out the back, probably the longest CB that would fit under the radio/lighter/HVAC panel in the mid-refresh P5 is something 7-8" long, provided you cut the back out of the storage slot under the radio. The CB I had in mind won't fit, so I'm going for something shorter.

The dealer (parts counter) was helpful in getting me an "exploded" diagram of the shifter/lower dash/hand-brake area of the car. 6 (phillips) screws have to come out to lift that thing back out of the way (some; more requires removing the shifter cover).

Brian
    Back when (long time ago) I installed my own driving and fog lights on a Mazda, the instructions I found in one fog light kit said that white or yellow will both work, but white works better. Yellow was more traditional, but gave you no better (actually somewhat worse) visibility. Other drivers will recognize yellow as oncoming fog lights, but the tinting costs you a bit.

Brian
    Found my own answer.

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2002/February/08.html

Appears my yellow theory was not correct.

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I too thought it was the other way around.
  • braxtonabraxtona Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experimented with changing the recommended tire pressures? The tire says 51 psi, the door jam says 32. I was wondering what people had found out with ride, fuel economy, tire wear, tire grip, etc. if they raised the pressure a bit.
    Humm, 51psi is the maximum pressure the tire can take, not recommended. I inflate my tires around 34-35psi.

Higher pressure implies better fuel economy, less tire wear, but worse grip, harsher ride, and the rims is more vulnerable to bad road surface and your car is subject to more rattle at a long run.

Bruno
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Thanks for the link. I aimed my fog lights higher than the factory set position and use them as driving lights. I haven't been flashed by oncoming drivers either so I know I didn't set them to high. They really add a wider fuller light pattern to the road when aimed up a bit.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    I run mine about 34-35 pounds. However, I just replaced two blown tires due to hitting a hole in the road. My passenger seat also has a horrible rattle from inside the seat. I think these things might be related...
    Adjust a little higher if you like the ride and improved handling.

51psi is the max the tire can handle, not a recommended pressure for long-term use.

I keep my tires at 34psi, but they're not the stock ones.
    I run 35 all around.
    I am going to the dealers to see which will give me a better deal.I am between the honda accord lx 2002 with good discount but next month will be old all-ready cus new models are out on sale on sept. and the mp5 really like it but the sale person told last night that they are waiting on the 2003. when are they coming out and is there any big changes to it?
    please reply with your coments. good and bad ones

Greetings from sunny Miami
    Based on the little I've read, the 2003 Pro5 should be identical to the "Mid Cycle Refresh" 2002 model, with the exception of a new color or two and a slight price adjustment (cheaper by a few $) with floormats incl. at no extra cost. Anyone heard differently?
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I have heard nothing different than silver_bullet.
    Same here.

Completely new car for 2004.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    We have an '01 Accord and an '02 P5. Guess which one I like to drive more?

When I bought my P5 I was choosing between an 02 LX and my P5. The Accord is a fantastic car, but nowhere near as exciting and fun to drive as the P5. However, I have noticed that they are practically giving them away since the '03 is much improved (except in looks).

Some of the complaints about the P5 (road noise, harsh ride, wind noise) aren't much better in my wife's car. In fact, I think the road noise is worse in the Accord. The P5 has much more comfortable front seats, better stereo (believe it or not), more standard features (alloys, keyless entry, fog lights, etc.) for about the same price as the deep discounted Accords.

I learned the hard way with my last car (a Camry that I hated) that no car is a bargain at any price if you don't like it.

My 2 cents...
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    someone give that man a medal for that sentence!!!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    When I had my 2001 Protege ES, I took it to a local stereo shop and had the fog lights rewired to come on with the parking lamps as well as the headlamps. I did it because I thought it made the car look sportier. And it was only $20.
  • nymanyma Member Posts: 2
    Hi. My first post here.

I test drove a Protege5 last weekend and LOVED it. But the A/C was SOO weak, even though it was on the highest setting and I tried both the recirc and fresh air settings. (The center vents look like they're installed the wrong way... probably just the style, but I was trying every which way to adjust for more flow!) Was it just my model, as the dealer insisted, or have any of you also experienced this. Thanks!
    I had a black 2001 Protege, and found the AC pretty weak in it compared to my current car (a 2002 Jetta 1.8T). I got the Pro's windows tinted, and it helped a little, but still took awhile to cool off. The AC also dulls engine power a good bit as well.

I had a 2002 loaner DX Protege when my Jetta was in the shop, and found that car's AC weak as well. My co-worker even commented on it, saying her 1999 Neon cools off alot quicker than the DX did.
    Has been driving in europe for a great deal of time, I found cars with fog light turned on for no justified reason pretty annoying if not aggressive. In europe, the fog lights can be only used when there is fog. You could get a ticket otherwise.

Bruno
    I never thought about that. Of course, I only turned on the fog lights when it was getting dark outside, no other time. It's against the law here in MD to have fog lights on with no other running lights anyway. Since the fogs are aimed pretty low (right in front of the car), I didn't think it would be a problem. No one ever flashed me or anything, so I assumed it was ok.
    I test drove a Protege5 just to try out the new Manumatic transmission a couple of weeks ago, when it was like 96 degrees outside. The car was silver with the black interior. It never really cooled down during the test drive, which was all highway and about 10 minutes or so.

The loaner DX I had was the Seabreeze Green with tan interior, so I thought it would be cooler since it was light colored inside and out. I found that my Jetta's AC (the car is white with black leather inside) is still superior though. I was a little surprised, since both the loaner and test driven model were cloth and mine is leather.
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    Is there a way to boost the A/C on the P5? Any kind of aftermarket product that can make it cooler? Is it legal to install better freon? Will this work?
This discussion has been closed.