Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    My wife is looking for a new car and when we got the p5's in i couldnt wait to check it out. A car with those looks and lines definitely needs a turbo or v6. That thing couldnt get out of its own way. We'll wait.
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    Edmunds doesn't list TMV for the protege5 yet..

rinarm got his p5 $700 below MSRP (msg 317)
    tatu1 was quoted ~$1000 below MSRP on a fairly loaded one (msg 325)

that's all people posted so far..
    I dunno what kinda fees they paid.. but both sound like great deals on the surface..

thanks for the corrections HK :).. Zzz zzZ
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    "tatu1 was quoted ~$1000 below invoice (msg 325)"
    Make that ~$1,000 below MSRP (on a fairly-loaded one).
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I liked your review of the P5 but take exception to your comment about it's styling (realizing that it's subjective):

"This is what the WRX should have looked like"

I like the way the P5 looks too. I also happen to love the way my WRX wagon looks like. It's unique and fiesty and won't be confused w/anything else. I call it the fiesty bulldog look. Maybe the WRX wagon is not for everyone but basically its styling says "you don't like my looks?, then put up or shut-up as it speeds away" :-) Okay, okay I'm still in lust w/my WRX....sorry!

Stephen
  • import2k1import2k1 Member Posts: 15
    I hate to get ripped off however I need a car soon. I was contemplating MSRP however this is still a rip. Edmunds does have a TMV for the p5. Was the one i looked at wrong?
    you looking at the protege5 or mp3 page?..

when I click new -> mazda -> 2002 protege5 i get TMV N/A http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/mazda/protege5/4drwagon20l4cyl5m/prices.html

-Mark

Maybe because it's regional. You need to input your zipcode to get the TMV.
    Well the dealer offered my MSRP and I refused it. I want to pay between invoice and msrp. Nothing higher. I am thinking if I should have just taken it for MSRP. But then again i would regret it if others are getting $1000 off! Thanks guys!

Soon to be P5 owner
    I feel your pain.. My registratrion ends July 31st and there's no way in hell my current car is going to pass inspection :).. so that gives me about 2 months to make a deal on a p5.. if I have to "special order" one that gives me almost no time.. however I've been in contact with over 10 mazda dealers in my area while is helping my chances at getting a good deal.. have you tried to contact other dealers in your area?.. maybe you can get a better price at a dealer a little further away?..

being that other have bought or gotten quotes significantly under MSRP, I think we can also.

would Mazda really spend all that $$ advertising the p5 on the nbc season ending episodes if they were only sending dealers 13 p5's each the rest of the year? one dealer by me alone is expecting 14 p5's the next month.
    Thanks buddy, I think below MSRP should be reasonable. Unfortunately I live in silcon valley and these dealers still think this place is a cash cow. I would just hate making a bad decision and being stuck with paying for it for 3-4 years. I guess the problem is that the car is just too new to really bargain for it. It is a very nice car but when you push toward 20K a hatchback with 130 horses is just a little weak. Specially when you can get an integera for 2 grand less and you know hondas last forever. Do small things start breaking on mazdas over 5 years? We have an old mazda pick up which lasted awhile. In a way I am willing to pay MSRP cause it is only 1300 over the invoice however it is still getting ripped off. Oh well.
    You might want to try www.carsdirect.com as well and just order it over thet net.. they quote me $600 over invoice in my area.. and that's without the $400 recent graduate rebate!! :)

-Mark
    Hi mark, the mazda dealer said that you cannot combine the college rebate with the financing deal. If you could i would have taken the car at MSRP. Is this what other dealers are saying? He said the college rebate is from Mazda and does not affect the dealer at all. Does cardirect have this car on it yet? Last time I checked it did not. Thanks!
    hey mark you right! they have it! hmmm you cannot use mazda financing on this site tho right? damn I am glad I did not take the car. 1000 bucks is a big difference. Getting the car close to 20 is making me want to get a Integra GS with leather. Hmm, for 17 though it is not bad....
    I called mazda customer at 1-800-222-5500 and they told me I can get 1.9APR + $400 graduate rebate.. maybe they were wrong.. if you have time, give them a call, and let us know what you find out.
    You can get 1.9% APR + $400 graduate rebate and that's the fact. Don't pay MSRP unless you need the car today.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    The college grad rebate can be applied to any Mazda vehicle and combined with current rebates/financing deals. I have sold many Mazda's with the 0.0% APR for 36 months AND the College Grad Rebate. That dealer you went to is probably just lazy and doesn't want to complete the paperwork involved (you will have to provide accurate, certified information regarding your past/upcoming graduation).
  • nomiosnomios Member Posts: 6
    I got a Silver Pro5 with AT and moonroof on monday. I paid MSRP, I think it was 18,400. Way over invoice, but the dealer would not bend. They had just gotten 5 off the truck that day, and sold two in only a few hours. The only reason I went with paying MSRP was because mazda offered me 4.9% for 60 months. This was much much better than the rate e-loan was going to give me or anyone else for that matter. I do not have the greatest credit, so I jumped at the chance to save a few grand on intrest. By the way, these cars handle so good! I am in love!
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Please don't take offense.. I happen to like the WRX's looks just fine. But if the WRX had looked more like the Pro5, I would like it even *more.* :-)
    Congrats on the Silver pro5! What area are you located in?
    I hope to be a p5 owner someday however I am leaning to the Acura Integra 4 door GS is a better deal. Congrats!
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I ordered a yellow P5 with AUTO, and ABS for $18,300 (only 115 below MSRP). This was a few weeks ago and at the time, neither I or the dealer new that the MOONROOF is tied in as a package with the ABS. The cars MSRP as ordered should be $19,115.

I am wondering if the dealer has to stick to our agreed upon price of $18,300.

Any thoughts on this?

Terry
  • vjoe_udovjoe_udo Member Posts: 30
    I went to Mazda website yesterday and they have a win a new P5 contest. Might be the only chance I'll ge the p5. Drawing on August 5, I think.
    Telling everyone here wouldn't help your chances, would it?
    Well, guys after much thought I have decided to move on. This car is nice and I hope you all get it at a price you are happy with. The dealer I went through will not budge on the price so I am giving up. 18K is too much for me on this type of car considering it is a entry level model line "protege" and a little underpowered. I have decided to get an acura integra gs with leather since is at least a more mature looking car. Thanks guys for all of your support! Good luck to you!
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Hey guys, check out Fitzgerald Auto in Maryland: http://www.fitzmall.com, they're listing a P5 for $17, 356, Invoice is $16,535 and MSRP is $17, 695....and it's a classic red !
    Just test drove the p5.. I liked it!.. great handling!.. i love that stearing wheel too! more cargo room would have been nice but I can live with it..

anyhow.. I ordered a silver p5 with ABS, moonroof, alarm, floormats, cargo net. MSRP was 18650, I got it for 17885 - 400 college grad rebate. final cost 17485. $200 over invoice.

The dealer during the test drive was talking about selling the one we were test driving for $1500 over msrp, selling mp3's for $3000 over msrp, etc... when we got back, we sat down, he started writing down the sticker price in the upper-right hand side of his box. I stopped him politely and said "look.. this isn't a limited edition car.. and I'm in no rush to buy the car.. I have a carsdirect quote in my pocket.. if you can match that and tack on the $400 college grad rebate I'll buy it right now..

He took it from my hand, studied it for a couple minutes, brought it back to the boss, 5 minutes later the deal was done..

expecting my new p5 in 6-8 weeks :) I'm very excited!

Happy p5 hunting :) -Mark
    while I was at the dealer I asked about the mp3.. they said they have a blue one coming in very soon and it hasn't been sold yet.. you'd probably have to pay msrp but it is at least available.. so if anyone is in the NJ area and are looking for one lemme know I'll hook you up with my salesman..

I actually thought about buying it myself but practicality prevailed :)
    city/state Thanks!
    Shrewsbury.. New Jersey
  • zupsterzupster Member Posts: 20
    I sat in a Protoge5, too small for me. Still remembering my LX2.0 test drive - funnest car I've driven in a long hwile. Will probably get an ES sedan if I get a new car. If the 02's are due out in fall, I may wait for them.

I'm the proud new owner of an '85 Renault Encore that I'm going to try and get through the summer with. Cost a $1.00 from a friend who was driving it to the boneyard. Has already added alot of mystery to my life, like "hmmm, wonder if it's going to start tonight....do I have towing coverage"
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    This seems to be the first real review of the P5 that I have seen by someone that actually drove the car. It comes from the National Post (one of Canada's national newspapers).

http://www.nationalpost.com/specialreports/story1.html?f=/stories/20010525/572188.html

This makes me feel yet again that this car isn't meant for me, even though I really liked it (or I wouldn't have bought it). Oh well, marketing types aren't always right.

Here are a few short quotes.

"For a change, Mazda is not aiming the Protege5 at disposable cash-rich Baby Boomers. The car comes in bright yellow and deep red, amount other 'youth-oriented' colours." I am a baby boomer, and loved the red.

"I can see it now: Younger buyers slamming the 5 even lower, bolting on bigger wheels and tires, adding a raspy exhaust system and wiring in a huge stereo. You heard it here first: the Protege5 will soon become the boulevard cruiser of choice with younger buyers." I have no idea where I fit in with this. I'm not the sort of person who is going to modify my car. I didn't realize what crowd I was getting myself in with. ;-)

Nomi

Congratulations Mark on your new P5. I hope that delivery is at the short end of your time frame. I thought you were inclining toward the red? What changed your mind?

Nomi
    Re post 371
    The dealer may stick to the price, but I doubt you will get the car. If nothing matches your specs you are likely to just stay in limbo until the deal runs out. (I know here in Canada they have 90 days to find your car, otherwise they return your deposit.)

You might want to try renegotiating. Maybe they'll give you some discount on the moonroof since it was their mistake. At least this way, the order being placed will be for a car that might actually appear.

Nomi
    thanks! hehe.. I gave the color a lot of thought.. i had it down to silver or red.. when I finally saw the cars in person, in silver to me the car looked more.. hmm.. European?.. sophisticated?.. I also thought silver was a more adult color.. I just turned a quarter century old :)

I also found myself thinking to myself saying.. if I had a daughter I'd buy her a red protege5.. so that was more incentive to go with silver :)

-AardMark
  • kcying1kcying1 Member Posts: 10
    I just bought the P5 and i got the BLACK one
    for the outlook, it looks awesome
    but power, i really doubt with it

even u do a KICK down .....it just move with the slightly speed
    I think it is my time to modifty it
    is anyone know that any good part already out and i can modifty it ?
    i am looking for a Apiex N1 exhaust , add one more tower bar and 2 bigger sway bar
    set of 4 eibach spring with koni shocks

anyone have suggest, i cant find the spark plug wire,
    Thanks Tocan for finding this review. I agree with you, when the dealer told me that this car was meant to appeal to a younger crowd like me that would buy a civic si, I knew that this car was going to be an import racer. Taking into consideration that and the fact that mazda is in financial trouble I decided not to got with the p5. It sure is a sweet car and I hope you all enjoy it.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Thanks for your info. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if I here anything back. I'll let you know what happens.

By the way, congrats on the news of your soon to arrive red P5.

In regards to Mazda's target group, I don't fit either. I wont be adding any "boy racer" engine mods or aftermarket gear. My view on the subject is that good design is good design. If Mazda draws in folks from outside their target group, it just shows they did a better job of designing this car then they thought.

Form follows function, and the P5 in my mind has beautiful form wrapped around excellent function.

Terry
  • tonyreynoltonyreynol Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a yellow P5 two days ago. Just minutes off the truck and out of presale service. I love it! I paid sticker but talked the dealer into throwing in Tinted Windows & Cassette. I qualified for Mazda's 4.9% financing so the payment is right where I need it.

Cons: Stereo could sound better. Small door latches on inside. No power lock button on passenger side. Roof Rack causes wind noise.

Pros: Very tight steering, Quick take off, Dash lights and gauges are very cool. Key less Entry is great. Blanks that came with car let you remove the Roof Rack - looks even cooler without. 16in Tires & upgraded suspension make handling very race like.
  • handydoghandydog Member Posts: 19
    I stopped by the dealer today and took a quick look at a P5 they had. They had marked up the price $1,500 over MSRP, for an asking price of $19,500. Also noticed how small the cargo area is; definately not going to be able to put my dog back there. (I had hoped that it would be more of a sport wagon, like a more affordable Audi A4 Avante or Volvo V40). Although a very nice car, it is already overpriced at MSRP. Who is going to pay $19,500 for this car? Not only will there be plenty of P5s to go around, but there are other options: Elantra GT, Focus, Impreza Wagon, Golf (not to mention a bunch of mini-utes that are really just tall compact wagons such as the Forrester, Sante Fe, Escape, RAV4, CRV).
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    I think a good comparison in rear storage would be between the P5 and the Focus ZX5, since the Focus station wagon is exactly that and I'm not interested in it. The ZX5 however basically seems developed with the same ideas in mind.... not going to discuss reliability though :-)

I saw a dark blue P5 at a Mazda dealership today. I love the front end. It was beautiful. And already taken. The dealer said their supply would be limited until July. The P5 was loaded incl moonroof and was $23,500 Canadian...I wonder how that would compare with the current US pricing....
    import2k1,
    Mazda is not in anything even resembling "financial trouble." They are mostly owned by FORD and are about to release a few new models that will make the auto industry stand up an notice. The excellent Protege ES and the Pro5 are just the beginning. Maxda sells every Tribute they can make and thier new rotary powered EVOLVE is going to be world class.
    You don't want to get into pricing differences between Canada and the U.S. Our cars are wa-a-ay cheaper if you convert currency (and we don't want people to know that, right!) LOL

Nomi
    yeah! no joke! how much does gas cost up there? regular unleaded
    We are paying about CDN$0.80 (here in Toronto) for a litre of unleaded regular. There are about 3.5 litres in a U.S. gallon, so CDN$2.80 per U.S. gallon, or about US$1.80 or so. There are other places in Canada where gas is probably closer to CDN$0.90 per litre or over US$2.00 per gallon.

But you have to remember that we generally earn less than Americans, so as a proportion of our incomes the car prices are probably similar. (Of course that is only averages, for individual people their income can of course be higher or lower.)

Nomi
    1 more question :).. when you buy in Toronto, do you have to pay the 15% tax on the car?.. I remember I bought a pair of pants up there and thought the cashier was joking when she said there's a 15% tax :)
    Yes, we pay 15% tax (8% provincial sales tax and 7% GST or Goods and Services Tax). The only good news is that they deduct the trade-in value before they calculate the tax.

Nomi
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    No provincial tax, just the *%@&^ 7% GST. And gas has been fluctuating between $0.68 and $0.78/l all week. Jeesh!
  • spudmanspudman Member Posts: 32
    I've been reading these posts for several weeks now, and I finally saw a Protege5 today on a Mazda dealer's lot in Pasadena,MD. It's a bit smaller than I pictured it. There was only one Protege5 on the lot, this silver one. The sticker price was 17,600 on this vehicle which had an automatic transmission. The dealer added a 700 dollar fee for appearance package, whatever that is - maybe a coat of wax.
    Someone had left the car unlocked so I sat in it and lifted the hatch. The storage capacity is not gargantuan but I think it's adequate with the seats down. I like the interior, and the driver's seat felt very comfortable to me.
    Hi Sporin, check out this article. Hopefully this means better deals on mazdas! yay!!

http://edmunds.yellowbrix.com/pages/edmunds/Story.nsp?story_id=21033348&ID=edmunds

import,

:-) Point taken, but...

That article doesn't really look at the big picture. As long as Ford owns Mazda, they will never be in any REAL "financial trouble." They are in flux right now... like a "rebuilding year" for a sports team. They have a bunch of great new products in the pipeline.
This discussion has been closed.