Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

True Cost to Own (TCO) - Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

124»

Comments

• joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    It varies from state to state as to what the laws are. Here in TN you cannot "Intentionally" sell a car that has had over $XXX in damage (I can't remember the figure) with out disclosing it.
  • lhylhy Member Posts: 48
    I have some questions the cost to own a 1996 Olds 88 LS. It has low mileage of 40K.

What are the maintenance and repair costs like for this car?

Is there a problem with price/availibility of parts given that this model line is discontinued and GM's recent problems?
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Now GM and Ford may be making great cars, but many of us have developed loyalty to the Japanese cars and that is what we intend to keep buying"

You have a point I did switch from Ford / GM to Toyota / Honda in the mid 80s but after the last 3 Honda's that I have owned and all the recalls / low ratings that Toyota has been getting I switched back to Ford (Fusion) For me its about the quality and I think both Honda and Toyota have grown greedy and have lost their way. I know that the Honda people will reply that there is no problem with Honda and that I will get what I deserve with my Ford but just look at all the info on this site and you decide.
  • wabizwabiz Member Posts: 1
    In the past week I've seen the TCO go up by $7-10,000 for several cars. For example, the 2009 Highlander Sport TCO was in the low $40,000s last week--now its in the low $50,000s. Last week TCO for a 2004 Explorer XLT was in the low $30,000s--now its in the high $30,000s.

What gives?
  • abstraktmindabstraktmind Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I have a question: I want to buy a 2010 Buick Lacrosse AWD: It was loaded. Dealership wanted 20,600. I wanted to pay no more than 19,500. The TMV came out to 23,000 making this actually a good deal. Dealer wouldn't budge. Should I except 20.6 or hold my guns?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    This discussion is really about the costs of ownership rather than purchasing. You're more likely to get advice in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee9c851/44157

However, price guides like ours are only that - guides. A vehicle is always worth what a customer will pay for it on a given day. If this is the vehicle you want (Lacrosse) and it looks like a good deal to you, I'd purchase it as it's below TMV. Better check it out in the discussion I linked, though, as you might get other advice.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews