Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 VW Jetta

2»

Comments

• raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    When I saw the first official pictures of the 2006 VW Jetta the vehicle screamed Acura TSX as styled by Volkswagen. I'll take the real thing, thank you very much! :-)

However, I've heard that the new 2.5-liter I-5 engine will likely NOT stay at 150 bhp (SAE) after the first model year of the new car. With the USA completely switching to low-sulfur motor fuels by September 2006, this will allow VW to improve the engine using direct fuel injection with stratified combustion, which may up the horsepower to (probably) 165 bhp (SAE) and may cut fuel consumption by five percent compared to the initial production engine. I do know there is enormous potential to put in go-fast parts for the 2.5-liter I-5 engine without resorting to turbocharging, which might make it possible to up the power to as much as 200 bhp (SAE) easily! =) (After all, the engine is actually one-half of the engine from the Lamborghini Gallardo.)
  • colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    One of the many times my wife's bug was in the dealership getting repaired, I was given a turbo Jetta. Let me tell you, it was one of the worst driving cars you can imagine. The turbo lag made driving it sanely in the city almost impossible.

You step on the gas and you wait...and wait...and wait then suddenly whooooossh. The car leaps forward with a huge power surge and almost rear ends the car in front of you. So you let off the gas and brake.

This is repeated every time you step on the gas. It's almost like driving a car powered by a rubber band.

combine that experience with the wonderful "jetta" quality. My first loaner car threw a clutch as I pulled out of the driveway. My second loaner Jetta lost a horn, all of the dash lights and the air bag sensor went out and kept telling us to buckle up even though we already were.

On top of that the Jetta Turbo is number one on Consumer Reports "do not buy" list.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    That's really odd that you got a manual in a loaner car. All the loaner cars I have driven have been automatics. You must have REALLY bad luck with your VW expereince, because in the 4 years I have owned VW's I have never experienced any of the issues you have mentioned. I also think that your view of VW is so negatively tainted (maybe justifiably so) that even if a VW was completely perfect you would find SOMETHING to complain about. Good luck though!!
  • mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    Where did you find that the Jetta Turbo is number one on the Consumer Reports "do not buy" list? I have never seen that.

I have a '98 Jetta with 102,000 miles, and I have had an over good experience with VW.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since this vehicle is now available, let's join other enthusiasts in the Volkswagen Jetta discussion. You can find all of our Jetta-related discussions using the search tools at the left.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.