Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL vs. Acura TL

Comments

• billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    I am with you on that, actually the stlye did not grow on me-I liked the RL the minute I saw it on the Dealer's showroom floor.

It is on my short list for next summer when I go car shopping.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,097
    Much like the last generation TL, I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the TL style. I find in handsome, but unfortunately a bit generic. It isn't a head turner (like the current TL). I can't imagine someone buying one and not being happy with their purchase. Acura just builds great cars!

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    The RL is just a more conservative look than the TL, nothing wrong with that unless you are a liberal :P
    Reply to myself to edit earlier post:

"I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the TL style."

What I meant was I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the RL style. I find in handsome, but unfortunately a bit generic...

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

Agreed, it is generic !
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You know what? It is generic, but over time I have come to like it decidedly more than the Infiniti M35/45. The Ms have more of a "hot rod" look to them, but I don't find the styling cohesive. I think most Infiniti/Nissan models go for "shock and awe" styling, but they don't stand the test of time, with the G coupe being perhaps the one exception. But even then....I dunno... :confuse:

Nick, I know the G coupe is on your radar screen, but the thing that concerns me a bit is I don't find it as stunning as initially. From certain angles it looks heavy, slab-sided. So the question again is, will its styling stand the test of time, or will it become a self-caricature, like the FX has become, and the 350Z rapidly becoming?

By comparison, cars such as the TL, BMW M3, and MB SL in particular, are love at first sight, and the feeling never wanes. Then there are cars like the RL, and the earlier Legends, which don't knock your socks off at first glance, but the more you look, the more you like!
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    The M just doesn't appeal to me for some reason (personal tastes...which I don't expect everyone to agree to). The side view is where the rear deck is too thick and chunky. From the rear...it looks like the previous generation Avalon...especially the lights. Front...reminds me of the FX. Overall exterior wise...it doesn't tell the story of the performance it has under the hood. Inside....too many gadgets and the takeoff of the BMW Icontrol joystick.

As for bodble2 comments...historically the Infiniti's looks are no as eternal as the other brands mentioned. Besides the FX looking odd on the road...think back in time to the "J30" with the weird rear end. Or think of how previous generation "Q" look today. Or how even the recent "I30" looks rather drab after only one year after they ended production which began I believe in 2000. "G20". "QX4". Or even the previous forgettable version of the M.

I would prefer a RL over a M....but that is my opinion.
    "...especially the lights."

I agree. The rear end and rear lights are especially unattractive. Nissan/Infiniti, for some reason, have had real problems with rear end styling. Think 1995+ Maxima, Altima, the J30 & M you mentioned, and even the G sedan which they had to re-do after just 1 year.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    The M appeals to me a lot. Mainly b/c of its performance. The interior also looks very nice, but Infiniti cheaped out by giving all cars (1) a gray headliner and (2) black dash, carpet, and center-stack, unless you get the tan interior. I agree the outside is nothing special, but I kind of like that. Classy on the inside, high performance underneath, and kinda plain on the outside.

You know, I think that's how I'd describe myself !!! ;)
    From certain angles it looks heavy, slab-sided.

Your slab-sided, is my muscular. :P

But I do think the RL is a classic looking car that will pass the test of time with ease. The TL is novel in it's look, but I also think it will pass the test of time, only other car companies will copy-cat the look.
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    Classy on the inside, high performance underneath, and kinda plain on the outside.

With taxesquire's description....I don't think I will look at the "M" in the same way ever again. :surprise:
    That's "Mmmmmmmmm" ;)
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    The Ms have more of a "hot rod" look to them ... but they don't stand the test of time

I know looks are subjective - but a hot rod :confuse: The new M styling is very similar to the new GS and hot rod don't describe it :blush: As far as the test of time you can only make that claim for past styles and not for the present.
    Someone, somewhere in this stream cited the 350Z as a car whos looks would not stand the test of time. After reading that I took more notice of the Zs on the road, and not only do I think that look will stick around, I think it already has.

Recognize the low, sloping hood that appears longer than the stubby, chunky rear? That's the style Porsche 911s have used for years.
    You may be right, but lets face it, Porsches have automotive diplomatic immunity. :P So what they can get away with, others can't. Case in point - - Cayenne.
    Well, maybe "hot rod" wasn't an accurate term to use. Perhaps "extroverted", "loud"? But IMO, the M is nothing like the GS. The GS is more understated, more along the theme of the RL, but not as bland. The GS is actually quite good-looking, one of the better styling efforts from Toyotaland.

But to me, Nissan/Infiniti always try to go for "Look at Me" styling, and I think a lot of times they go overboard. I liken them to the stereotypical used car salesman who wears loud clothing to stand out, but end up looking kinda tacky. :sick:
    I saw a light blue RL on the road today and it really knocked me out, it is amazing what the right color on the right car can do. I was really floored because I am not a big fan of the RL styling. I wish the TL came in the same color.
    However, the true sign of outstanding styling is when the car looks good in any colour. TL anyone? :P
    So true bodble2, so true. I saw a black TL today, a color I would never consider buying, but I thought to myself, what a fine looking car. :)
    And I saw a white TL today with Parchment interior. White is a colour I almost never consider, but the White/Parchment TL sure looked classy and sporty!
    Sorry I missed spelled colour. :P

But you are so correct, Acura has some very nice exterior-interior combos. For example, my wife's silver TL has a black interior that I would never want, but looks fantastic with the silver.
    "Sorry I missed spelled colour."

Actually I think colour can be spelled both ways (American v. British).

However, you may want to run a grammar-check on "missed spelled"! :P ;) :blush:
    LOL

had a few bears in me last night, and today a few beers, so pleas fogive me. :P
    Well, there you go with the ol' "beauty is in the eye." Someone at work has an RL in that light blue (Robin's Egg Blue?) and most of the guys agree it is the last color we would ever put on a car! Doesn't make us right for you, NIck. Just let me pick the color for the Aston Martin DB9 you are buying for me... :D

LOL :cry:

I don't think the RL looks that great, but the light blue is it's best color. Blue just happens to be my favorite color, and are implying that the light blue is a chick color? Of course you are ;)

No, I will pick the color of my new Aston Martin DB9 :P
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    Wait a sec...the RL does not offer a "light blue" color option. But maybe it's the Meteor Silver that looks blue in the light?

The RL is available in Premium White Pearl (my wife's car), Carbon Gray, Nighthawk Black, Celestial Silver, Lakeshore Silver, Opulent Blue (which is a very dark blue), Redondo Red, and Desert Mist.

In any case, I agree that the RL looks classy. It also looks like an Accord on steroids. That's not a bad thing, IMO. The M looks like a Maxima on steroids. Not necessarily a bad thing, although I am not a fan of the current Maxima styling. You can argue that the GS looks like a classy Avalon (but wouldn't say it's an Avalon on steroids, however)....

But none of these cars looks like Rafael Palmeiro or Jose Canseco....
    But none of these cars looks like Rafael Palmeiro or Jose Canseco....

LOL

The light blue car I saw was an older RL, but it was an Acura. Or it was the Silver, I don't know. :confuse:
    I meant to say was "maybe the RL was an older model. :blush:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Just for future reference, you have about 30 minutes after making a post to edit it. During that time, you will find an Edit link in the gray titlebar of your post.

But let's get back to comparing these two vehicles, if indeed there is anything to compare between them. :)
    Thanks for the info Pat. :)

I just thought if the TL came in the same color I saw the RL, it would be a stunning car color for the TL. The TL exterior is very dynamic, the RL rather conservative and bland, however, the RL is a rather inexpenisive lux car, and a very good value.
This discussion has been closed.