Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    >The domestics don't make any fuel efficient V 6's

Not true.
    I have had 3 3800s. That's a v6. It gets 33 mpg on interstate trips, 30-31 with hills as in Kentucky/Tennessee interstates. This is with 3 adult size people, and luggage, in a LeSabre.

It got 38.2 mpg on the 55 miles trip home from father-in-law's on Saturday (there was a 30 mpg wind from the rear side and then rear on the way home 60mph on country highways. Best I ever got was 45.5 on flat highway back from dealer to home. Must have been a 40-45 mph tail wind!!!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    I beg to differ with you, because the stats say otherwise. Here's a few stats taken from this site.

2005 Lexus IS 300: 3.0lt V6 215hp Curb wt. 3285 MPG City 18/Hwy 24
    requires premium unleaded fuel

2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8lt V6 210hp Curb wt. 3509 MPG City 18/Hwy 27
    requires reg unleaded fuel.

2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6lt V6 255hp Curb wt. 3609 MPG City 18/Hwy 27
    requires reg unleaded fuel.

2005 Cadillac CTS V 5.7lt V8 400hp Curb wt. 3850 MPG City 15/Hwy 23
    requires premium unleaded fuel.

The list goes on and on. According to the stats provided on this site, domestic cars are either equal too or better than (in these examples, better than, of course I'm pro Cadillac) foreign models. True, a few domestis may be a little worse, but overall, they are fairly equal. Now on the other hand, if one has to pay more for the gasoline (premium) to achieve the same results, then one would have to say huumm. Do the math.

In all fairness, many factors have to be considered when talking MPG, and we all know what those are. I took a 5K road test with my 03 CTS, and the mileage was much better than those indicated on the window sticker. At 70mph, it averaged 29/30 mpg, at 92mph, it averaged 26/27 mpg. This was on a variety of terrain features from the Rockies, to rolling hills, to flat straight aways.

At 110 mph mileage rated at 17/18 over the flats, and that segment of the road test produced a $239 donation, thank you very much. Wind and inclement weather also varied. So don't right off the old domestics just yet. BTW, thanks for the info on the current gas reimbursement rate, I'll look into that.

thebug...
  • oboroguyoboroguy Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the very same issue. The car is at the Cadillac dealer as I type. I have 17000 miles on a 2004 CTS and the front tires and very badly worn on the outside. They have reported that the alignment needs corrected...duh. I cannot remember hitting or rubbing against anything to throw the vehicle out of alignment this much. The dealer said it was not a warranty item and to only expect at best 25,000 out of these tires. :(
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Next time, try to take your car to a different dealer, and have a few look at it, see what they say.

The best thing to do is to find a good mechanic. In the long run this could save you thousands. Good mechanics get parts cheap and pass on the savings to you. also, a good mechanic means you don't have to buy a new car, which saves even more.

I would not mind a used CTS. 3.6L VVT of course. ;)
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    :confuse: Finally decided that it is time to deal my '03 CTS LuxSport that has recently "miled out" on the 80,000km (50,000mi) warranty. I've truly enjoyed this car, which I was happy to have "first on the block" (build date March 4, 2002 :D

Was looking at possibly moving up to STS V6 or V8 .... very nice package, more lux interior, but the pricing is ridiculously high with bundled options, and the performance options I'd like to add to the V6 model (particularly, MagnaRide and 18" rims) are not available without pretty much buying "the works", which from a price perspective is just outrageous.

Sure, the 15-speaker Bose 5.1 surround stereo and DVD nav system are nice, but I'm quite happy with the 8-speaker Bose system on my '03 CTS and with Microsoft Streets&Trips with GPS on my laptop for $99 and OnStar, DVD is a $2000 toy I can do without.

I'd pretty much made up my mind, and then I sat in the STS ... and felt almost claustrophobic. Even though the wheelbase is 3" longer, overall length is 6" longer, and overall width is about 2" wider, there is precious little additional room (at least in the front seat), and I would lay money down that the front seat headroom is actually less than that of the CTS. I'm 6'3" and 220+ lb with a twitchy lower back, and find my CTS incredibly comfortable, even without the lumbar support that was added in the '04 models. So no advantage for me moving to the "larger" STS. :(

So, the '05 CTS (1SC without nav system) is what it'll be. The only thing I'll regret is that the Bose system no longer includes the tape deck, and unless I'm missing something, the CD player does not play MP3 format, so my "road trip" option of connecting my MP3 player through a cassette adapter will no longer work. But, I'll pick up 35 hp, get better highway mileage on 87 octane vs the current 91(important when gas in Canada is running near $US3.00), add a lumbar support to an already superb seat, and get another 50,000 miles of relatively trouble-free and exhilarating driving (assuming some of the first model year glitches have been dealt with). I'll post my 3-year 50,000 mile service history at a later date for inquiring minds (yes, I've had most of the common ones).

Thanks to all for the feedback and insight over the last couple of years on this board ... looks like I won't be moving after all. Will post once I figure out the timing on the new purchase.
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    Risky...
    I've also looked at the 05 STS as an upgrade from my 03 Lux Sport CTS. I haven't driven the STS because each time I've sat in one in the show room, I've had similar feelings that you expressed about less headroom (and legroom) in the STS than I have in my CTS. I haven't compared the specs, but it feels to me that there really isn't any more room in the STS cabin than in the CTS.

My 03 CTS has a just a little over 10,000 miles on it because I only drive it on nice weekends and on summer vacations. So, my only reason to trade is due to that common male desire to have something newer and nicer. However, after sitting in the STS a few times and thinking long hours about the matter, I've convinced myself that I don't want to spend all that money for something I don't like that much better than what I already have.

I've enjoyed you postings and look forward to your comments when you move to another vehicle. Cheers!
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Risky,

I completely agree with your assessment of the interior room of the STS. I didn't really pay that much attention to the headroom since the legroom was so glaringly deficient. At my height (6'11", just shy of my handle :-)), legroom is my biggest problem. The CTS is snug but still comfortable and my 2003 LuxSport w/ 45K miles is the best car I've ever owned. But the STS not only doesn't appear to have more interior space than it's lesser cousin, but the legroom is actually less....*much less*. So much less that I can't drive the car comfortably so it's a moot point as to whether or not I'd ever own one. I think most of the extra wheelbase went into the rear seat, although it doesn't look 3 inches better back there either. Too bad.

I've driven the '05 CTS when I was given a loaner during a recent service trip to the dealer. The new engine is nice...the extra 35 ponies makes the car seem lighter and it does it on regular gas no less. Of course since the new engine has come out, other manufacturers are extending the class up to 300 HP so it'll be interesting to see if the so-called CTS Sport ever sees the light of day. It would be a good midpoint car between the 3.5L V6 and the CTS-V.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    I traded in a CTS 2003 with lux sport after 2 years for a CTS 2005 with lux sport.You will be happy with the added horses.It feels much more refined.I have been using the cheaper gas- 87 ,to save money,although it might come at the expense of some power,which I wouldn't know how to notice.
  • tmacguytmacguy Member Posts: 37
    I put my '03 LuxSport (31K + Mi) for service yesterday. The dealer gave me a '05 CTS for a loaner. But this was a BRAND NEW CTS Loaded with every option and I mean every thing, it had the 3.6L and 17" wheels with 3Mi on the odo. So it was quite an experience, just like trading up my 03, so I can really talk about the comparison. My ;03 did not have the Nav screen, but this '05 did. But the ride and overall feel was quite the same. The new dash treatment, lumbar support, and temp gauge did really wow me much to make me wish I had the same on my '03, the seats are pretty good as is.

But I really hated that they removed the cruise control to the turn signal lever. I always thought the lever was already crowded on the '03 and now it is even worst on the '05. Further, geting to and moving thru the vehicle info was more difficult (more clicks) on the NAV system than on my '03 model.

But the car did not feel as responsive as I had expected. In fact it felt lasier at part throtle and regular driving than the '03. Not till I applies WOT from stand still that I did feal the wrath of the 3.6L engine (I know, I should not have done that with a new car, but I was so tempted). So for me, nothing impressive here.

Now the shocker, as with the my '03 CTS, is that I drove off the dealer lot with a defective front left strut. This is the same problem that plauged my 03 CTS and many other of the LUX Sport CTS's. I replaced mine 3 times over the coarse of the 50k Miles, this spanking new '05 too had a defective rattling front left strut!!!!! GM did not fix this wide spread problem yet. But judging from this forum, this strut problem seems limited to export models.
  • tmacguytmacguy Member Posts: 37
    Since both the SRX and the CTS share the same interior design, and since I own both cars, I thought I would weight in on what the CTS interior would have been.

First off, the CTS steering wheel is much more superior. The knob volume control and the 4 programble buttons provide convenice that can't be found in any other car period. I really regret thac Cadillac have not standardise the CTS steering wheel for all of it models. If I ever upgraded to STS I know I will miss the superior CTS steering wheel; I already miss it every time I drive the SRX.

Second, I also miss the tape deck in the SRX.

Third, this forum and car reviews complained a lot about the missing temperature gauge in the '03 CTS. Ok, my '04 SRX has the temperature gauge, but it is useless and I do miss the clock whenever there is a message on the DIC.

Fourth, I love the CTS steering mounted cruise control, it is much more conveniet and elegant.

Fifth, the SRX trans Oil life is at 97% with 5000 Mi on the odo, while it is still at 100% in the CTS with more than 50K Mi on the odo!!!!

That being said, the SRX is the better car overall, the car simply feels much more refined and reflects the fact that it is more expensive and hence has higher build qualtity. For example the turn signal and the tilt steering wheel levers has more resistence and better feel on the SRX. The SRX rides smother, quiter and tighter. And I am still so impressed by the damped feel of the doors as they shut, I have never experienced this any any American car before. All in all the SRX is much, much, much better car to drive and much more civilized, and its fit and finish seems better than the in the CTS. And did I mention the the SRX is really roomy in the back and front.
  • cruiser27cruiser27 Member Posts: 9
    Will be purchasing a new vehicle in the coming months.
    I'm considering CTS, but have a big concern with RWD in the winter (even with the stabilitrack). In Michigan I go to the Upper Peninsula quite a few times, and even in the southern part of the state, I have to be on the road a lot when it snows.
    CTS drivers I've asked love the vehicle, but dont like it in the snow.
    What do you all think? Especially would like to hear from our Maple Leaf neighbor - riskybusiness....
    Cruiser,

If you do a search on "snow" in this board, you'll find plenty of feedback, including several posts from me. If you invest in a good set of winter tires (I recommend the Blizzak LM22's if you're getting the 17" rims), you will have little difficulty, with the possible exception of standing starts in really slushy or icy conditions. Even in those circumstances, the "winter" setting on the auto transmission helps a lot. Generally, I'd say I do better with the CTS RWD with snow tires on than the '96 Buick Regal (FWD) with all-season tires that was my next-to-last daily driver. The 4x4 Jimmy in between was understandably better in the snow. :D

I hope you give the CTS full consideration ... 3 year and 50k miles later, it still makes me look forward to the morning commute. :)
  • epertschukepertschuk Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know of a CTS re-design???
    That was not my experience with the 2005 over the 2003.I found the engine much more responsive in the 2005.It is possible that your 2003 was on sport mode while your 2005 was not, so the shifting was not as respopnsive.
    Thanks to all (esp. arby1, sevenfeet0 and batmancts) for your recent comments .. they help confirm/validate my decision to stick with CTS vs. STS for my impending trade-in, partly based on price, but mostly based on fit, comfort and functionality. Sometimes, size does matter :D !

P.S. anyone know when the 2006 model year production begins, or if updates have been announced yet? I'm interested in knowing whether the '06 features an MP3-compatible CD player .. might be worth the wait for a couple of months. As I understand it, the "major redesign" is scheduled for the 2007 model year, based on an article I read in R&T a while back.
  • ed22ed22 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, that's that is what I heard as well. I really hope the interior is improved hopefully in 2006 model year so I don't have to wait long. And for those saying that Cadilac would be dead in watters when the new 300 hp Lexus arives, even Lexus is saying that it won't be the big numbers seller, just mainly to attract the crowd to the dealerships, the 2.5 V6 will be the much bigger seller with its 210 or so HP. And I am sure that if Cady opted to using 91 gasoline instead of the 85 in the 3.6 they could easily squize another 30 or so HP out of it, without having to spend much money on the redesign of the engine. In fact that would be a good idea, this new engine would fill the gap between the Vspec and the regular 3.6, I guess that is just my dream so I could buy one, hehe.
  • brader66brader66 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on buying a 2005 CTS. Meanwhile, I have a 1997 Catera and a 2001 Catera which had the same experience. I replaced them with Michelin, 80,000 mile warranty tires at less than $100 each at Walmart with free rotation included.
    Some long-awaited changes (18" rims, autoshifter and MP3) .. depending on release date, I might just wait it out before upgrading my '03.

2006 Cadillac CTS - What's New

• 3 New Exterior Colours – Radiant Bronze (53U), Blackberry (71U), Infrared (80U)
    • 1 New Cashmere interior color replacing Neutral (Cashmere requires Y40 on 6DM69 and includes Cashmere Instrument Panel Top Pod)
    • New modular option packaging philosophy applied to reduce complexity
    • Driver Shift Control (tap-up/tap-down) feature on Automatic Transmission
    • New 17” wheel – polished (painted 17” wheel not available)
    • Performance package including 18” wheels, high performance tires, uplevel brakes and performance suspension system
    • Appearance Package includes rear spoiler, 18” wheels (different than performance package), lower side and rear fascia and body colored front grille (requires Performance package)
    • Thermostatically controlled engine block heater cord
    • Wood package is now Walnut Burl wood and includes steering wheel, door handles, shifter knob and plate as well as centre stack
    • 2.8L and 3.6L V6 VVT engines will operate on GF-4 mineral oil as opposed to Mobil 1 Synthetic
    • MP3 capability on base radios (interim 06)
    • 6.0L V8 LS2 engine on CTS-V
    • Front grille now light silver
  • stevem4stevem4 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 03 CTS lux sport, my tires were recalled because of sidewall cracks. My tires were fine, no damage but I had them replaced anyway.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I had two crack and at different times before the recall came out. Replacing them was a good idea if they were under the recall. You never could tell when one of those tires might begin to smile, and it was on the inner sidewall so you couldn't see it until you had the tires rotated. :D
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Will the 2006 CTS-V come only with a manual transmission?

I hope so.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I've got a 2001 Catera; I'd read here that wear was a reported problem. At 22,000 miles I asked Cadillac to replace the two front tires. They did,and they have been quite generous with me these past four years. i've really enjoyed mt Catera, but it has been somewhat of a shop queen...so much that they extended my warranty another 24,000($50 deductible).

I've looked at the CTS,and I do like it,but I like the Catera better. The interior of the CTS isn't quite as big,and I regret this downsizing.

I am considering getting a manual shift one though...
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Recently, I have had the pleasure of renting two new CTS's for long three day weekends (to drive between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh). These 2005 CTS's must've had only whatever comes with the 255HP V6/automatic (although both of these rentals did have leather seats).

Because I do want to own an AWD automobile, I had considered an STS based on the early press releases (before the configurators were on line). I also assume that "soon" the CTS will offer AWD making Cadillac have the CTS, SRX and STS offered with "available" AWD.

Whoever decided that the only way to get these fine cars with AWD was to fully option them, has done Cadillac and its customers a great disservice -- based on the posts here, I would say that I am not alone in this opinion.

But, like I said, I was impressed with the CTS and I thought it should be a contender in a town-hall for Luxury Performance Cars, insofar as the CTS 255HP version (like I have been renting) is competitive with the BMW 5 series that has been available up until now (RWD, 225HP, etc.)

So, I thought I would configure one of these cars to better inform my opinions as I write about the car -- well, cut off my legs and call me shorty! I knew the CTS-v was offered with a manual transmission but yesterday I configured a new non-v version of the CTS with the 255HP engine and a manual transmission for about $44,000+! Now, based on my experience, a somewhat similarly equipped BMW 530 would be anywhere from $6,000 to $10,000 more. And, while you may argue the CTS isn't a BMW -- duh!?! -- I can only imagine that such a Cadillac would be an absolute blast to drive and "if only" could be had with 18" wheels and tires, would be a superb (especially at its price point) near-Luxury-Performance-Sedan.

I guess then, this is what I meant by the title, the "Secret CTS."

How many folks have this version? What have your experiences been?

And, what in the wide wide world of sports does Cadillac mean by bundling everything together for the customer who wants an STS with AWD?

And finally, does anyone within the sound of my rant, know if the CTS will be offered with AWD (and without forcing the customer to buy $10,000 of options to get to the right to buy a less than $2,000 option -- AWD? -- and will AWD on the CTS be mated to a 6speed manual?)

Inquiring mind. . .
    I agree with your frustration on Cadillac's general practice of option bundling, and would welcome an AWD option, among other things, on the CTS, especially if it was a stand-alone or part of a general performance bundle. However, it looks like we'll have to hope it's included on the 2007 model year (full redesign according to R&T), as it's not on the list for 2006. See my post above re 2006 updates.

IMHO, a CTS with AWD would invite a ton of attention from those shopping the Infiniti G35x.
    Find the 2006 details by clicking here and choosing "Print Book".

This confirms that the 5-speed automatic has Driver Shift Control, and there's an 18" sport performance package available on the 3.6L. Three new colors are available "Radiant Bronze", "Blackberry" and "Infrared (premium)". :P

Hopefully this will wake up this board ... it's been quiet lately! :)
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for the link. I had a link for the 2005 site, but I couldn't find the 2006 details. I tried changing the 2005 to 2006 in the address, but that didn't work. Anyway, some good info in there. I like the new 17 inch wheels, but not too different than prior years. The 18's are pretty cool too. Although, I wish for once, Caddy would have a 5 spoke design for the CTS. Are BMW and Audi the only cars that are allowed to use that design!@#!

I'll be interested to see the new wood and the cashmere interior to see if that is a step up.

XM coming standard is nice too since it's one of the options I want, but not that many cars are equipped with in in 2005.

I'm kind of surprised the 3.6L wasn't tweaked to 270-280 HP though. If the 2.8L can make 210 HP, I would think 270 HP for the 3.6L would be easy.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    Anyone see/drive/own a 2.8 V6 yet? How does the non-leather interior look? Decent power? Just curious.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I like the 18's as well. IMHO they look better than the 7-spoke 18" design on the CTS-V.

Interesting that they went back to an exposed-lug design for all the new wheels. I recall many early complaints about the look of the exposed lugs, and for the 2004 and 2005 models, the 17" options had a full coverage center cap.

There's a hint at the look of the burl wood if you view the new surround for the DVD-Nav screen ... I expect the shifter knob and door handles will be the same. The Cashmere color is also on the '05 STS if you want to look at one "in the flesh". It's just a little more creamy beige than the "Light Neutral". I've never liked the lighter interior on CTS, mostly because it clashed with the dark grey dashboard. Hopefully that's what they mean by "color keyed instrument panel top pad".
  • thomasgthomasg Member Posts: 3
    Ever since my dealer told me that I was out of alignment (and GM was not going to do a thing about my tires) I've been looking at the front tires of every CTS I come across.

I have an associate in NJ with a CTS 30,000 miles - been rotating his tires regularly - the outside edges are worn smooth. I pointed it out to him.

I love the car - but may have to get rid of it. I average 2000 miles a month, so I need 50,000 miles on a set of tires - that means replacing them every 2 years.

Right now, I figure that my CTS at 1 year old will not pass inspection with the tires. Bad news for me - another couple hundred down the drain for new rubber. Now the question is what tires should I put on to get some better wear.

Clearly something is wrong. The service manager at my Cadillac dealer would not even come out to talk to me. Too busy, hmmmmmm. I'm waiting for the GM survey to show up at my mailbox regarding the dealer and his level of service.

Tom
    I would try a different dealership.Some are realy nice and some couldn't care less.
  • impalaman1978impalaman1978 Member Posts: 1
    All Turtle Wax Car Washes are corporate owned. (www.turtlewax.com) there are 15 in chicago, and 4 in kansas city. I am a manager at a chicago location, and have worked in car washed for seven years. I also worked for delta sonic, and at all the locations i have worked at, this problem with the Caddy's has always happened. With talking to several service managers for GM, they have said they dont know what causes the problem, but they know there is one. and its not just when the car gets the undercarriage wash, it happens with any wash. the problem is more in the winter then the summer, but it does happen every once in a while during the summer. and this problem is with many different models of caddy, from different years. that is why it is so hard to narrow down the problem.
    What battery problem are you talking about.

Are you saying that every Cadillac that goes through your car wash has a problem with the battery?

Please be more specific and clear this up.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I have seen a 2.8L CTS and they advertise them in the paper but no one here seem to own one. I read a review in the local paper and they basically said power was "adequate" but you want the 3.6L if you want performance. Guess it depends on what kind of driver you are.
  • twest88twest88 Member Posts: 6
    Good news on the 06 there Risky. I've been browsing the numbers looking at upgrading my 04 to an 05 simply for the satellite and removing the antenna off my rear windshield. I'd like the V but the practicality in DC traffic isn't there. Essentially, I'm looking to get as close to the V as possible but with automatic trans. The 06 appears to be worth the wait.
    Anybody know if Sirius can be substituted for XM?
    I doubt that Sirius can be substituted for XM. I believe that GM is a part owner of XM. Sorry :cry:
    XM is totally different from Sirius and cannot be subsituted.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    BILL.........The Caddy dealer in Auburn NY STILL has that brand new 04
    CTS-V.......Black, roof.........$53k sticker............ $42xxx ON SALE!

Spotted it again when I was there last week getting a LOF on my 03
    DeVille...........
    Still hasn't moved from the same spot in the showroom either !

Zero miles !!!!!!!!!!!!..........You know you want it !!!! :P
  • 5speedcts5speedcts Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 'used' 2004 CTS with a manual 5 speed transmission. It had 4,000 miles on it. I enjoy the car greatly, but I keep having the check engine light come on. It has been in the shop four times, and the light just came on again so it will now be there the fifth time. I paid $24K for the car and another $1K for the GM certified warranty which extends coverage to 100,000 miles. PS, I was just in a wreck with a rental CTS, and the car protected me very well.
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    Has anyone here sold a 5-speed CTS yet? How difficult was it? I get people who call, and then go away when they find out it's a manual transmission. :)
    I don't want to say the obvious, but when you fill up with gas, you have to make sure you turn the cap tightly.If it always happens around fillerup time, that could be the problem.If not, you may need a new catalytic converter because the check engine light monitors exhaust fumes.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    I assume you are selling it yourself. I am at a dealer in the midwest and in the time the CTS has been out I have sold the only non-V CTS. We had to dealer trade for one. We needed a sizable deposit before we would go and get it. My owner was scared to death the guy would back out!!!! He was 64 years old and just wanted a stripped CTS.

Go over to "Real World Trade In Values" and ask Terry for advice. You save $1200 not getting the auto, but you might have to be $3-4000 behind what an automatic would be. WOW, my appraiser might faint if we got a stick.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    My wife has a 2005 CTS with automatic. I have looked at one several times that has been on the dealer's lot since last Thanksgiving. I really would like the shift but I have been afraid of the market for resale. For most cadillac buyers, automatic would probably be the way to go. Just hang in there; you bought the car and there have to be others who would like the same.
  • twest88twest88 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a local shop (DC metro) that can provide some tweaking for additional HP on my 04. Essentially, adding ~30 or so HP. Any suggestions? I'll need to upgrade the sneakers and perhaps handling. Anyone sunk a few extra $ into the 3.6L with some decent results?
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Two tips for you. Advertise the car as a five speed manual in bold print if necessary. If you have it listed as just a five speed most people will think 5 speed auto. That should weed out most of those calls. Second, be prepared to sell for about $3,000 less than a comparable automatic. We only have one manual in stock for this year, and as far as I can tell I'm the only person considering buying it. Though I will lease so I don't have to worry about resale value.
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    Yep, selling it myself. I don't think I'm asking too much at all, according to those I have spoken to ($21,500 obo, 42K miles, base model w/ MT). You want to buy it? ;)

I definitely have had to confirm for people that it is a 5sp MT. It doesn't seem to matter what you put in the ad. I had a guy call me and ask if the manual transmission stuff was a typo. Uh, OK. No, sorry.

I have spoken to some brokers, and they think it will be hard to sell, but not impossible. Just have to find the right buyer, as it's a "specialty" vehicle, I guess.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I feel your pain, or at least I will at some point.

I have a Lincoln LS with a manual, and there was even a smaller percentage of them sold (relative to the automatics) than with the CTS. When it packs up, or I get tired of it, I'll be looking for a car much like yours, & I'll need to unload mine. . .but not yet.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Haven't posted in this thread in a long time, but just wanted to let you guys know that I saw post on another forum where somebody has FINALLY dynoed the 3.6L VVT motor in a CTS auto.

220 HP and 221 torque.

Excellent numbers.

I don't know if it was a Mustang or a Dyno Jet dyno, but regardless it tells me why my SRX is so strong and that the engine might very well be putting out more than it's 255-260 hp rating.

It also answers the question about why Northstars are not that much quicker. :)
  • tester1tester1 Member Posts: 33
    Hi,
    I do not have experience change this kind of oil filter. I assume this is the procedure?
    1. Use torx TX45 to unscrew the middle screw then wait for the oil drian.
    2. remove the cap with hand (twisting it)
    3. replace the "paper" filter.
    4. put everything back
    5. fill the oil?

Please advise is this correct? Thanks.
  • tester1tester1 Member Posts: 33
    Which oil to use?

I somehow remember owner menu suggested 5w-30 instead of 10w-30 for 2003 2.8 engine?
  • fungus440fungus440 Member Posts: 21
    There's a new 2004 CTS-V sitting on the dealer's lot with 300 miles on it. Still has the sticker on it and I've driven it. It has the sunroof option, so it's the $50K version.

Since we're 8 or so months into the '05 model year, what price do you think they'd sell it for? I figure invoice is around $46-47. I'm curious how much the factory-to-dealer money for the 1 model year old vehicle would amount to. Current $1K incentive is on the '05s. I know this car has been eating at their floor plan for a while. Holdback should be around $1,400~.

Thanks.