Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• Options
    rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    yea it is kind of sad that we probably WONT be seeing Holdens in our near future, but word is that GM might import the Commodore as a new sport sedan for Pontiac slotted between the upcoming G6 and new Grand Prix..hope it comes!!

it is tru though that they make GM NA look like CRAP compared to them..haha so tru!

and ive heard a lot about CAFE..what does it stand for though??
  • Options
    baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    The interior is essentially straight from the XLR, with the brushed aluminum trim replaced by wood trim. And the XLR interior has had no gripes from the automotive press.
  • Options
    jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    I don't see much CTS in that interior; it's smooth and clean, the nav screen is up where it needs to be (without the E60 BMW's second-eyebrow.)

The closest I've personally seen to that is the Lexus RX330, but this is better.
  • Options
    rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    No comments on my wierd little heater display "flash"....however...

About 4-days ago, went to start car in garage, and nothing. Well, actually, it kindasorta clicked a little but wouldn't start. Lights and stuff worked. Got it pushed back out of the garage and it jump started fine.
    Okay for few days, then today, same thing again...wouldn't start for wife at work. Gets a friend to help her with a jump...still nothing. Until I have her put it in neutral (I had to shift it out of park to get it out of the garage the other day.) Then, with the jump, it starts fine. She gets home, parks in the driveway. Checks it a couple hours later, dead again, sort of. DIC shows low voltage at 9 or so volts. Don't know if the battery's bad, or something more sinister. Hopefully I can get it started in the morning then it's off to the shop. I read some old posts about battery a/o electrical problems similar if not exactly like this. Anyone know what the end results of those were?? Little over 7k miles on the car now.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Notice how the wreath & crest on the steering wheel is covered up with tape. There is also a piece of tape to the right of the console on the wood trim band above the glovebox.

The doors are very CTS like.

Another thing is that the seats are really low to the floor. Similiar to the CTS.

Unusual for a sedan.

One thing I don't like about the CTS is that there is a large distance between the seat bottom and the steering wheel. I had a hard time finding a comfortable place to put my hands on the CTS wheel.

The STS seems to have the same ergonomics.
  • Options
    There are supposedly software upgrades to improve the idle quality and smoothness of the 3.2L.
    Also software upgrades for the 3.6L engine.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

Each class of cars and trucks has to meet a certain federally mandated minimum mileage and if they don't then the mfrs have to pay big bucks. This causes them to jump through hoops sometimes - like the skip-shift in the corvette and having to lock out 1st gear starts in manumatic trannies (Lincoln LS V8 and Audi A6 4.2) because of the testing techniques which have since been corrected.

Good theory - poor application.
  • Options
    lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    I would like to obtain more specifics on the software upgrades for idle quality on the 3.2 engine with 5 speed auto. Mine has a very rough idle after setting overnight or several days. It idles very badly for about 1-2 seconds and then smooths up. Normal idle is rougher than I would like. Dealer technician is deaf, I believe as they could not detect anything even after having the car for several days. Any Help?
  • Options
    Got my first up close in real life look at SRX when dropping my CTS off at the dealer this morning. Interesting vehicle. Still too big for my needs though. Like the CTS better. Noticed they also had a CTSv on the lot...but not until I was driving away in the rental. I'll have to go back and eyeball that one too.
  • Options
    necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    It idles roughly for one or two seconds and then smooths up?
    Uh...well...I guess I gotta say, duh. Most engines have that "problem". That is why the ECU will raise the revs by itself until it senses that the engine is operating within parameters. This is why Mazda invented their "3000-rpm rev up" for the RX-7. This is why cold-start injectors were invented. Engines have a harder time when they are cold and have been at rest for a while. I'm not sure I have driven a car in many years that hasn't had mild issues at start up that the ECU solves with an idle up. I know in my 1968 Eldo, I solve the issue by applying more gas until it evens itself out. :)

As far as your normal idle being rougher than you would like, that may be more concerning, although "what you like" is pretty subjective. Things like having the AC on, plus the basic design of the CTS V-6 may contribute to that.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    One has to have worked with U.S. government (or worse yet, U.S. military) requirements to fully understand why something so seemingly simple as a fuel economy measurement should be such a big deal.

"Back in the day" car companies produced dozens of variants for each model -- rear-end ratios, transmissions, engines, fuel delivery systems, you name it. Now, each and every configuration (that's a government word that I work with every day) requires its own set of "documentation" (that's another one). God knows what the documentation package consists of, but I'm betting it'd outweigh the Manhattan phone books (all of them, not just one), plus which every car needs its own test series, door panel plate and who knows what else.

I'm not really against fuel economy -- it's the bureaucracy that demands copious documentation for each and every variation of any vehicle sold. The result is that every manufacturer that sells vehicles in North America is being driven to minimize the number of variations.

This is why the manual transmission vehicles I cherish are going away, as well as many other variants that I'm sure many of you would enjoy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    the CTS only makes 255HP from a 3.6!!! why wont it make more!?! the 3.5 in the G35 makes 260HP and 280HP in the G35 coupe...also, the 3.5 in the much cheaper Maxima makes 265HP..

can someone please explain to me why it doesnt make as much as the VQ-series engines!
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    My first hand experience with my CTS leads me to state the the door panels are very CTS like .

I am interest in any ECM flash to improve idle quality please keep us informed !
  • Options
    GM automatic transmission is much more efficient than Nissans'. So performance is pretty close.
  • Options
    It is officially called an "Engine Software Upgrade."

I have not been able to find the TSB #.

This CTS thread is so unlike other edmunds threads because no one talks about their CTS problems. Until someone else mentions something and then others chime in and say, "mine has that too." Or "I had that fixed months ago."

I had to go to other sites to find people who are dealing with probs. After all every car is not perfect.

here are some more.
    Whining rearends. I no know of 4 owners who have had new rear axles installed.

We have talked about the driveline probs before.
    Driveshaft may lose bolts and drop out.

popping noises. My old GM FWD nemesis is not just exclusive to Intrigues and Impalas. It has now appeared in the CTS.

Usually while turning left or even over bumps. Knocking sound, as if something is loose in the suspension.

ISS were to blame on the FWD cars.
    Mechanics believe it is shock mounts in the CTS.

That is all the "negative" news I can find right now. LOL.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    What is "ISS"?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Intermediate Steering Shaft.

They now have a lube kit which consists of a syringe that injects lube into it.

The problems with this part are epidemic.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Ain't nobody willing to talk about their experiences with snow chains, snow cables or other 'traction devices'?

Thanks
    Bingoman
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I have posted every problem I have had to date
  • Options
    jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    It doesn't matter. Plus or minus 10HP or whatever, doesn't matter.

And, short of carefully-instrumented testing under perfectly repeatable conditions, it's not really possible to say whose transmission is more 'efficient'.

What matters is area under the torque curve (usable rev range) and gear spacing. So, the first question would be, for each of those engines, at what RPM does the torque curve get to 200lb/ft on the way up, and where does it come back down to 200lb/ft?

The Maxima is FWD, so it automatically loses power-to-the-ground points anyway. I've driven a new Maxima, it didn't feel particularly quick. Also had a godawful-ugly interior and the worst case of orange-peel in its paint that I've ever seen in a new car - the surface looked like leather.
  • Options
    v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    Seems nearly all of the automotive press has noticed the new Maxima has major torque steer. I haven't seen torque steer comments on a car as bad as they have been about the new Maxi since the 93 STS came out with 295 hp and FWD.
  • Options
    ryokenryoken Member Posts: 291
    I have a G35 Sedan. The compression ratio in the engine is high, and it requires premium fuel (91), and contrary to the 19/24 EPA rating, I routinely get 14-17mpg city. It makes as much power as 287hp in the 350Z, and as little as 240hp in the Altima 3.5SE. That's a 47hp range for the same 3.5L block.

The new 3.6L GM engine is appealing.. runs on regular (87) gas, gets practically the same power output, and considerably better gas mileage. There are variables such as headers, intake, ECU programming, exhaust, etc. that affect the power -- and we've only seen one configuration of GM's engine at this point. If this engine had been available when I bought my car, I would have had a much tougher choice to make.
  • Options
    calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    rsteph - Did you try using the search function on "battery"? I recall a few early posts about a defective battery that was replaced. The other related posts I recall were about a battery drain that caused deep discharge.

Bingoman my cable/chain experience was not in a CTS so irrelevant here. The posters from the snowy climes are always praising Blizzaks. I suppose that's not an option for you?
  • Options
    Dealer had it less than a day. Said the battery went south so they replaced it (one of the plates broke loose or something...iow dead cell). They think votage spikes caused by the battery dying were what was causing the strobe like effect on the heater-AC display.
    Makes sense and the way the car was acting was like a bad battery. So, we'll see if that was the final solution.
  • Options
    Seem to be a lot of those lately.
    My '99 Intrigue's was replaced under warranty, and I just put a new one in my 27 month old 50K mile Impala.
  • Options
    I wonder if the vibration I felt in the '04 CTS i test drove last Summer would be fixed by the new upgrade.
  • Options
    Will not last more than 3 years for some reason. Doesn't matter if it's a 3 or 4 or 5 yr battery, 3 yrs seems to be it. Don't know if it's increased power demands or environmental but that's been my experience. If it's 3 yrs old - replace it. It's about to die anyway.
  • Options
    richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    Our CTS, built in Feb 02, has been relatively trouble free. Our only problems were a cable that was improperly run near the gas filler tube and cracked body filler, under the floor, when I hit some road debris during a rain storm.

I can't blame the body filler problem on Cadillac, as it was a storm and I didn't see the road debris until it was too late. The underside of the car took quite a hit and it leaked badly. Our dealer fixed the leak (under warranty) and it's been dry as a bone ever since.

We have noticed a stiffening of the power steering, so I'll have the dealer check it out when they get my "new tires" this coming week. Otherwise, our CTS has been exceptional for a first year car.
  • Options
    bxd20bxd20 Member Posts: 68
    My experiences and immediate family:
    1989 Regal, battery lasted 10 years. Second battery is at 4 years and counting.
    1998 Century, battery was still strong when traded @ 4 years.
    1999 Contour, battery is at 4.5 years and still going.
    1983 Regal, both batteries lasted about 7 years.
    1997 Cutlass Supreme, original battery to this day.

All these cars were usually garaged, but in the Cleveland area where winters are cold. In my opinion if you're only getting 3 years either you drive an exceptional number of miles or perhaps you live in the desert.
  • Options
    But I do live in Atlanta with lots of heat and humidity. Most of my coworkers and friends are experiencing the same lifespan so maybe it's regional. I also suspect keeping a cell phone connected most of the time may be a contributor. And as always - YMMV.
  • Options
    Mine was just over 6 months old. Happens!! Maybe the factory got a bad batch or something.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Living in Los Angeles I don't need snow tires. I need a traction device for occasional trips through the mountain passes and to Northern Arizona.
  • Options
    thanks everyone for answering the question of HP!

jemiller: the Maxima is actually RWD
  • Options
    FWD and has the torque steer to prove it.
  • Options
    After several months of low production the CTS is back on track in a major way.
    1374 produced this week.
    Almost 6000 (5951) produced in October!!
    50,000 produced this year vs 40,000 last.
    The difference had shrunk to 7,000 more than last year, but last month's production got it back on track again.
    If they can get all those cars to the dealers between now and the end of the year we might see a 50,000 sales year. 13,000 more than last year.
    Talk about a home run for Cadillac.

I still think that the SRX will cannibalize sales from the CTS.
    Interestingly 10,000 SRX's have been produced already but my dealer has only sold 1 of the 4 he has gotten.
  • Options
    j1205j1205 Member Posts: 9
    Got my 03 in April 2003 under the 0% plan. It has 8000 miles on it and I like it as much today as the day I got it. Today I impressed a co-worker on the way to lunch getting into traffic. It is fun. It is quick, comfortable and still catches my eye. I wanted one since the super bowl ad in 2002 and I'm happy.

Problems: Still haven't taken it back to dealer for 2nd time to get radio squeal and static-when-braking problem fixed. I listen to AM mostly so it can wait till I have more to get fixed. When the car is cold the tires seem to thump like the old radial days until they warm up. The auto transmission sometimes thumps into lower gear at the end of my street in the morning. After a mile or two it doesn't do it. The clock is 3 minutes off. The glove box can't hold the owner's manual. But the most annoying thing is the low fuel indicator. I never look at how many miles of range I have left. The only time I want to know that is when the fuel gets low. So when the indicator says "Low Fuel" the range says "low range". How stupid is that? I ran out of gas at my daughter's school waiting to pick her up from practice. No help there.

I've read all the posts since I got my car. I just caught up, so I'm going to check out the steering recall and the tire recall. I may ask the dealer to replace the cluster for the clock problem. As mentioned, the volume of complaints on this message center is small for any car, much less one that is so new. My congrats to Cadillac for a winner.
  • Options
    batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    j1205: Open the passenger side front door. Open the glove box. Bend down and look carefully inside the glove box and you will see a slot at the top of the glove box specially made to hold the owners manual. (Posted here a couple of times previously.) Once you break the code, the manual slides in easily.
  • Options
    j1205j1205 Member Posts: 9
    Batmancts: I went out to my car, opened the passenger side door, reached over and grabbed the owner's manual from the driver side door, opened the glove box and followed your directions. The manual slid right in there where you said it would (I might have discovered it myself if there were a light). Strike another complaint off the list. Thanks for the re-post of the solution.
  • Options
    v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    The Maxima is FWD and if I'm not mistaken, built on a stretched version of the Altima's chassis. Nissan's only RWD car is the Z350. On the Infiniti side, the G35, M45, and Q45 are RWD. I don't think the Maxima has ever been RWD since the nameplate was introduced in 1981.
  • Options
    jhl4jhl4 Member Posts: 18
    I have an '04 CTS, Auto Trans, Base Audio. I do not have an options package. I'm trying to enter the Personalization menu. Is this feature only available w/ opt package?
    I would like to change the doors unlock, maybe enter me & my wife's name vs. Driver 1 & 2 etc.
  • Options
    I'll apologize to the rest for taking up space with non-CTS specific's but maybe someone with CTS experience will chime in.

Living in SF bay area, I used to travel to Tahoe regularly. Tried chains and they were such a hassle getting on and off I went on a quest for anything better. Tried something called Trax or such. Cross-pieces of yellow plastic with pop-rivets thru them, connected by nylon strapping. Definitely the easiest on and off, but don't think they were that effective and I believe they're off the market now. Then I tried cables. They were OK. Easier than chains to deal with, but they do not have the traction nor stopping power of chains. They are good for restricted clearance applications but my experience with them was not on a CTS.

Personally, I never plan to drive my CTS in the snow. The whole schtick... the cold, the snow, the salted roads, the yahoos who can't drive dry let alone wet or icy... is a formula for prematurely aging car and driver. If I absolutely had to drive in it, I'd rent an SUV and just fuggitaboudit.
  • Options
    Were you going to get back to us about that CTS-V in the dealer lot? I was just wondering if you lived near Detroit or something and if what you saw was an executive tester. If you make it back to the dealer, and that was a -V, I'd love to hear what it was doing there.
  • Options
    redgtconvredgtconv Member Posts: 46
    Vehicle Personalization is standard. Just listen to the CD that comes with your owners manual. It fully explains all of the functions of the DIC.
  • Options
    typeamantypeaman Member Posts: 17
    I also have static on the AM dial when I put on the brake. I took it to the dealer...they just gave me a "look" and said everything is fine. Does anyone else have this problem? What is the fix? Ohhh. I also have the clock problem. My analog is 7 minutes slower than digital. Is there a fix?
  • Options
    I'm in SW Washington state. The car I saw was on a pedestal in front of Bud Clary Chev-Cadillac in Longview, Wa. What I saw was via a quick glance...but it was definately a CTS, had oversized wheels and the grille and lower sash looked exactly like what I've seen in the pics of the CTSv. So, I assume (maybe wrongly) it was a "V". On the other hand, it could have been a customized look-alike replica made from a regular CTS. It's 20 miles away and I normally only go there if I have to take my CTS to "the Doctor". I'll try to make a trip up there to take a close look to verify if it is a true V or a lookalike.
  • Options
    Look at pages 2-130 and on in your manual for the "how-to's" on this. I don't remember what the difference is, but I believe that luxury option (and higher) cars have more personalization features than the base models do.
  • Options
    batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    typeaman: Use the Search feature (at the top and bottom of each page) on this discussion line to search for all posts about any problem you want to know about. Type in "Clock" and you find all the discussions about clocks including (I think) a reference to a TSB telling dealers how to fix it.

Opinion related to CTS problems: I'll bet if you search for the word "problem", you'll find the discussions of problems by CTS owners are limited to 4 or 5 relatively minor nuisance issues and a tire issue in which Cadillac has offered to replace the tires. Most of the complaints about the CTS are from people who don't own one. Speaks volumes in my opinion.

Personalization: I think the differences in the DIC features may have more to do with whether or not you have the Bose package than differences between the Base and Lux Sport models. Maybe the Bose package isn't available without the Lux Sport. However, the bottom line is that if you want to use and become proficient with all the DIC features you have to invest a good bit of time reading the instructions (however unmanly that may be) and then play with all the features. I did all that, but because I drive mine primarily on weekend trips and vacations, I usually forget how to take advantage of the features between trips.

It's a great car.
  • Options
    jhl4jhl4 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks all for replies. Finally had my fill and called Cust. Svc. Needs to go back to dealer to check why one key has access and the 2nd key doesn't.

Is anyone surprised that my WIFE's key works and mine doesn't? (smile)
  • Options
    eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    The Maxima was RWD from 1981 to (I believe) 1984. It had the I6 from the Z-Car... it and the Cressida were the premium Japanese cars of the day.

I know this because I owned an '81 Maxima for 3 years in the mid-'80's.
  • Options
    I was thinking it was RWD also but wasn't sure.
    It was the sedan with with a Z car heart or something like that.
    Can't remember the adcopy.