Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Lexus IS Tires and Wheels

Comments

• My PERSONAL opinio is that Michelin are the best tires.
    I have had very good success with them on my BMW
    MY new IS250
    6 speed MT w/ Sport Pak has Bridgestone Potenza RE050
    Too early to tell how they are (only 2,700 miles on it)

Be careful of COSTCO .. the tires might look and smell like OEM but you need to look carefully at the LOAD rating. This is what gives the tires the handling characteristics. The load rating is the last set of #'s & letters. Without comparing these, you are comparing apples to pineapples.
    If you have the 18" you should be looking @ 225/40/R18 88Y and 255/40R18 95Y
    MY PERSONAl choice would be Piliot Sport 2
    Remember compare apples to apples
    You could always try to get the dealer to match or come close to a TIRE STORE price.
    Have you tried TIRE RACK .. their prices are INSANE and they will drop ship (send it to where you want it sent) the tires for you.
    Some of our higher end clients do this with us. We just charge them the installation fee.

GOOD LUCK!
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    any idea what one can expect for tire and brake life under "normal" (i.e. not aggressive) driving?
  • I forgot the actual title of the program, but for somewhat under $900, dealer will replace tires at specified tread wear on new IS350. Checked with local high-quality tire resaler (only mildly discounted at best) and their price was over $1100. Anyone else offered and take up this deal?
  • billmvbillmv Posts: 148
    Hello lop868. I'm just starting a 3 year lease on a '07 IS250 RWD with the 18" summer tires. Didn't have any choice but to take that setup. Does Lex have a 3 year tire plan? Cost? Worth it? Thanks, guys! Great comments.
  • Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that the dealer also said to get a "Z" rated tire otherwise my warranty would be void.

Costco does not have the Primacys in stock. The tire is currently in production & will not arrive for another 2 weeks. The Michelin Primacy has a "W" rating. Costco says that it is the equivalent to a "Z" rated tire. I am not sure what you mean by "load" but will surf the net for that. Will also try Tire Rack! Why do you like Pilot Sport?

If you buy the car brand new are tires under normal warranty (not the extended warranty)?

Sorry! I am really "car challenged". Also, is it easy to change out the air conditioning filter?

Thank you very much for your help!!! :)
    wale bate1......if you're still checking this board once in a while, what would you think you could get in terms of treadwear out of either the Goodyears or the Michelins you mention here as replacements once the original rubber wears out? We'll be getting the 18" wheels that are standard on the 2007 IS250 RWD. The wife will be behind the wheel 98% of the time. Thanks!
  • Don't consider yourself "car challenged", that's what we are all here to do .. help you !!!

yes, get "Z" rated tires if that is what is on there now. You don't want to change the rating and NO NO NO "Z" rated tires are not the same as "W" rated tires.
    Is Lexus the same as Toyota?
    And I have never heard of a manufacturer warranty being voided because you changed the load or speed rating of the tire .. That is TOTAL BS & CRAP. The only thing you are "voiding" is the performance and handling aspects of the car by going to a lower rated tire. Manufacturers spend lots of money to come up with a tire that is designed to give the handling & performance that is engineered into the car. Why go against what the engineers have designed?

Piliot Sports are more performance oriented than Primacy's.
    I personally like them because as they wear out, they don't have or create as much tire noise as other brands.

As for warranty on tires ... 99.5% of all tires maufactured are defect free. The warranty only covers defects in material & workmanship. A bubble on the side wall, uneven wear patterns, feathering & cupping are NOT warrantible defects. 99.9% of the time they are caused by "outside influence" (read: NOT covered by a warranty)
    You can however when purchasing new tires either at a dealer or a tire shop, PURCHASE a road hazard guarantee. They usually cover the items I described above. First yr is free and 2 yr, 3rd yr etc . is usually prorated based on tread life remaining. Client is usually responsible for labor charges to "replace" tires (ie: mounting, balancing & disposal)

Personally, I would stay AWAY from COSTCO for my tire needs. Go to a professional tire shop or the dealer. Usually there is very little difference in $$ between an indy tire guy and the dealer.
    And always, do an alignment when you change rubber. Again, best bet is to have the dealer who has the specialized equiptment and know how to do the alignment RIGHT (as long as they do it in house and don't sublet it out) - ALWAYS ask first to make sure they do it in house.

As for the A/C filter do you mean the charcoal filter?
    I actually have no idea ... now if it were a BENZ ... that would be a different story!!
  • Just wanted to pass along... picked up a IS350 Sport/Levinson. Replaced the OE tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Dealer uses a tire shop for tire/wheel upgrades, cost ~$200 more mounted, balanced etc... Shop gave me a credit for the OE tires.

Initial impressions after a couple hundred miles... handling is about the same as the Dunlop Maxx, tracks better on rough road and are a fair bit quieter, much better in the rain.
    hello tazdvl. Did you arrange this with the dealer before you took delivery, or did you just go to the tire shop yourself and have this done? What were the OE tires that came with the car? I want to do the same with my 250, which I should be getting this week. I'm in San Francisco, BTW. You? Thanks!
  • Be careful of COSTCO .. the tires might look and smell like OEM but you need to look carefully at the LOAD rating. This is what gives the tires the handling characteristics. The load rating is the last set of #'s & letters. Without comparing these, you are comparing apples to pineapples.
    If you have the 18" you should be looking 225/40/R18 88Y and 255/40R18 95Y

Costco will only mount OEM sizes. Their tires are the same Pilot Sport you buy anywhere else.
  • No, they are not the same!

I should know .. I was just there this past weekend.

The size is correct .. the load rating is INCORRECT ...
  • That is very common! In fact my friend was unfortunate enough to buy a Chrysler Sebring. The tires that came on it did not had a lower speed rating, and load rating to save money OEM. But the tires had the identical name, and markings (save the ratings). Always beware of the price that beats EVERYONE else.

Netwon
    ran over a bolt (pretty big one). tire not repairable (potenza). $292 at a local tire place. Ouch. probably could have saved $50n at tire rack but obviously couldnt wait.
  • piasonpiason Posts: 55
    How about the is250 AWD? All four tires are the same size and I would think you should be able to rotate them. How many miles are we getting out of the AWD tires?
  • piasonpiason Posts: 55
    How about the is250 AWD? All four tires are the same size and I would think you should be able to rotate them. How many miles are we getting out of the AWD tires?
  • jyunjyun Posts: 2
    Hey folks,

I noticed that some of you had Dunlop tires on your 18" wheels for your IS, while I have the Bridgestones. Any reason for this? Is one better than the other? An thoughts on a good set of replacements for these 18" wheels? I live in Seattle (rains quite a bit) and I'm looking for something with good wet/dry traction..

Thanks guys
  • I picked up my car yesterday in Southern Ca. - my car had the 18" summer tires and they were Bridgestone as well!
  • There's a good article reprinted from Car & Driver on the Tirerack.com site and it rates various tires including the Dunlop SportMaxx. Check out http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=69

The GoodYear Eagle F1 is the top rated tire for wet performance.

Personally, I'm planning on replacing my Dunlop SportMaxx tires in April with Michelin Pilot Sports through Costco. But I'm in a fairly dry part of Texas.
  • crapoudcrapoud Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how wide of a rim can fit onto the is 250.
  • carhunter3carhunter3 Posts: 11
    I have 23K+ miles on my '06 IS 250 and I'm in the market now for a new set of tires. Treadwear indicators are not quite at the "replace" level but I'm starting my search now. I consider this good as I'd heard that I'd be lucky to get 12-15K miles. Breaks are still fine too, and I do a lot of city driving.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Just curious, anyone using snow tires on their rwd IS's?

-Brian
    what tires do you have?

what is your driving style?

i am nervous about the brake and tire life being short - anyone had other experiences regarding when they changed theirs

also - anyone have info on how much a brake job costs?
  • tolberttolbert Posts: 2
    Tire noise is awful on my 07 IS250, 10,ooo miles. Lexus replaced the front ones at 4000 miles. Noise is back. I have the bridgestones. I am fighting with them now on what to do. Any suggestions?
    Have them put on the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx's. Mine have almost 26K miles on them and I'm thinking about replacing them with the same tire. Actually, I have the road hazard warranty and just had one replaced through the warranty...ran over a finishing nail and it's kind of near the sidewall where it can't be patched...so now we only have to buy 3 instead of 4 (and at over $200/tire that's quite a savings). The Dunlop is quiet and wears well and also has awesome wet traction. I live in Florida so I know all about wet traction. Actually we just came through a bad rainstorm coming through Orlando and even with so little tread left, I never felt unsure with the Dunlops. Of course, if you're in the north where u have snow, these would not be the tire for u.
    This may be a silly question since I get the feeling most of you are guys and know a lot about cars, if you buy tires over the internet, who do you get to install them? Don't most places want you to purchase the tires from them if you're going to use their installation services?
  • alolewisalolewis Posts: 36
    If you buy from tirerack.com thye have a list of people who will install them for a small fee. Not sure about other places that sell tires on the Internet. you can also check out small independent tire stores or service stations, they may do it. I know a guy who even took own oil and filter to a garage as it was cheaper.
  • carmonkeycarmonkey Posts: 32
    I purchased a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires at Discount Tire- front 235/40R18 and rear 265/40R18. The PS2s are stickier, a little smoother, and quieter than the factory Dunlops.
  • maxidrivemaxidrive Posts: 70
    Aren't the stock tires' sizes 225 for the front and 255 for the rear? Is it okay to replace them with bigger sizes?
  • kc567567kc567567 Posts: 29
    Aren't the stock tires' sizes 225 for the front and 255 for the rear? Is it okay to replace them with bigger sizes?

My Summer's for a IS350 (stock i believe)
    Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX
    front 225/40R18 88Y
    rear 255/40R18 95Y

Winter Wheel is SPYN D5 Hyper Silver
    NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA RSi
    front 225/45R17 94 R XL
    rear 225/50R17 98 R XL

KC
  • carmonkeycarmonkey Posts: 32
    The slightly wider setup is safe. The additional 10 mm width per tire should not excessively stress the suspension. Some dealers might gripe if a warranty issue develops with any suspension components.