Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Modifying Pickup with Cap for Camping

djonathangdjonathang Member Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in Dodge
Hello,

I am in the market for a slide-in camper. Before I make the leap, thought I might look for ideas on how people have modified their truck beds and truck caps into "comfortable" campers. Of primary concern is how to keep warm in the colder Fall months. Last time I woke up, my dog's water bowl and I were frozen solid. Never again!!!

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I currently have a Dodge Ram 1500 short bed with a cab high Snug Top Cap.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    I also have a SnugTop and I plan on doing a lot of sightseeing this summer. I just use a 0 degree mummy bag that I put into a regular sleeping bag. Keeps me really warm. Walmart sells a small tent heater that appears to be safe in enclosed spaces. I'd probably keep a window cracked just a bit and I'd also have a battery-operated CO alarm, just to be safe. While a slide-in may be nice, I simply can't justify spending thousands of dollars on something I'll really get very little use out of. There are plenty of showers and restaurants out there, so my SnugTop is just fine for me. Happy camping.
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    You are never going to get the comfort and convenience of a slide-in with your cap. Lining the cap with insulating carpet, installing a BedRug, and running a tent heater (with a window open) all night is the best you can do for heat. Of course you have to carry fuel for the heater.

The best part of a real camper is heat & a real refrig so you don't have to be dependent on ice. There are some minimum camper rigs available that give you these basics at a reasonable weight. You need to decide if you are going to leave the camper on, or take it on and off. It's a hassle to switch between the cap and the camper since the cap isn't made to be easily removed (no jacks).

Come over to the Cabover Camper topic and post your question.
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Here is a neat idea a friend found on the web. We've tried sending e-mail requests for information but they never answer. Probably someone's failed attempt at a small business.

http://www.newcoenterprise.com/camper.htm

If you reach them, let me know.

• Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Now that you've joined the Cabover Camper discussion, I'm going to close this discussion to conserve on space, and let you continue this subject over there.

In addition, here's Pickup Bed Caps where you might also find some helpful information.

Good luck and thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Pickups Message Board

This discussion has been closed.