Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Tires & Wheels

Comments

• Options
    whitewaternutwhitewaternut Member Posts: 40
    Had my van in the dealership for 4 days and got it back today with 4 wheels that look just like new. They did a beautiful job on refinishing the rims.

I am very impressed with Toyota. They do stand behind their product. This van has 44,180 miles on it and was beyond the warrantee on the rims.

I'd bet any other car manufacturer wouldn't do that. :)
  • Options
    dkwarrendkwarren Member Posts: 9
    That's good news. Let us know how the fix holds up. If the defect was in the preparation, priming or finishing of the paint job, the fix should be good for at least 10 more years. If the defect is in the alloy, you may see new bubbling appear in another year or two.

My dealer is still trying to locate a wheel refinisher that provides a long-term warranty on the refinishing work.
  • Options
    texasconnietexasconnie Member Posts: 2
    I have an '06 Sienna XLE Limited, and all 4 of my wheels look like the picture you posted. When I went to the dealer last week, they said it wasn't covered, but suggested I call Toyota's 800 number. I just did that, but with no satisfaction. I have 65K miles on my van, which the customer service rep said was 30K miles over what they would cover for this problem. Of course, I also have the 6 year, 100K mile extended warranty, so I will try that route next. She proceeded to tell me that there's no way to tell what caused the erosion, especially since I live in the midwest (Ohio), that it could be because of rain, etc. I interrupted her to say, "You mean to tell me I'm not supposed to drive this car in the rain??"

I know she's just the customer service rep, but I was very frustrated. I remained nice, but let her know I was very dissatisfied with Toyota. We have been loyal Toyota customers since the mid 80's, but if they don't resolve this issue, this will be the absolute last Toyota I buy. I told her that, and also that with the economy the way it is now and for the next few years, I didn't think that's the way they wanted their loyal customers to feel.

However, I will not give up this easily and they have not heard the last of me! I will keep you posted. Thanks for letting me vent!
  • Options
    Write a letter to their corporate address in California, it's on their website. That's what I did and I got results. They know they have a problem with some of their wheels and they came through on the repair for mine. Be persistant. They push the quality issue in their advertisements and they will stand behind their claims if you keep after them. Don't give up. Your local dealer will do nothing for you unless they hear from their factory in California.
  • Options
    texasconnietexasconnie Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, whitewaternut, for the advice. I will be persistant, and will write a letter. I was thinking of calling their 800 number ever other day, but I will write a letter first, then be the annoying caller. I also have some district guys working it for me, so I'm attacking it from several angles. I'll keep the forum posted. It's just frustrating that it's not an immediate, "Oh, that shouldn't be doing that. We'll take care of it right away." That's what I've been used to with Toyota -- up to this point. Especially since they've had several compaints about this problem.
  • Options
    visco2visco2 Member Posts: 5
    I stumbled on this thread by accident looking for a recommendation for a replacement tire for my Dunlop runflats, which are garbage. I have a 2005 Sienna XLE AWD. Within around 1 1/2 years after :mad: owning the vehicle here in MI, the rims exhibited the bubbling others describe. In Sep 2006, I noticed it and took it to the dealership. They would do nothing. I had them contact the zone manager. He looked at them and also would do nothing. While my research on the web sites show that Toyota has known of this problem since the 2004 model year (which I presented to the dealer), the best the zone manager would offer is to give me two rims free if I purchased two rims at a cost of $456 each. Yes, you read right - $912 for two rims. What a deal. The zone rep accussed me of not washing them often enough (as if he could tell that we washed it monthly). I have not pursued further, but now two years later, have contacted a company to refinish my rims since they look attrocious. The refinishing ompany representative stated there is a problem with both Lexus and Toyota as they frequently refinish rims for them and was surprised Toyota wouldn't do anything. All of my rims exhibited the same problem - bubbling corrosion coming from the sharp internal edge where they did not adequately paint. All four tires (Dunlop) were replaced under what I believe was a class action suite against Toyota. Of the new tires, (Dunlop again) I have had one get a bubble on the side at around 16,000 miles which the dealer said was not under warranty since they were replacements. Approximately one month ago, my wife had one just disintegrate on the highway. With Toyota's poor warranty support, this will be the last Toyota I own (and yes, I did make the mistake of purchasing the extended warranty).
  • Options
    mleonardomleonardo Member Posts: 45
    Sorry to hear about your experience. I also have an 05 XLE limited AWD. The only thing I like about it is how well it handles in snow and ice. I will not be buying another van from them but I love my corolla and would replace it with another in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    4kids3dogs2cat4kids3dogs2cat Member Posts: 18
    Have an 04 XLE AWD w 55K miles. Run flat tires went bad at about 25K miles. Went to Sears and bought conventional tires with 2 cans of fix-a-flat and a portable air pump (plugs into accessory) and keep it in the drawer under the front passenger seat. Toyota reimbursed me for this Sears bill some months later when they came out with their recall program.

Conventional tires make this minivan ride so much smoother and quieter. The only thing I worry about is trade-in value when I get a new car and I don't have a spare or a place for it. Perhaps a donut in the back storage well?

Run flat tires should only be used on Corvettes and airplanes, IMO.
  • Options
    tkaztkaz Member Posts: 69
    Soon I need to replace the second set of Run Flats on my 2005 AWD Limited. The car has 59K. The first set were Dunlops. This set are Bridgestone. But they are as loud as the Dunlops. Since the run flats have been an issue since day one, I am assuming some have gone with conventional tires. What's your overall experience after using the conventional tires for awhile? Is the weight of the minivan too much for the tire size and even conventional tires wear out quickly? Or have replacement tires worn well without cupping and premature wear?
    Seriously considering Michelin Hydroedge and buying a couple of cans of tire-fix and a small tire compressor in case I get a flat.
    My wife drives the Sienna. Don't want her stuck somewhere with a flat. Other than the tire issue the Sienna has been wonderful.
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Tony
  • Options
    jen40jen40 Member Posts: 2
    We had our 1st generation runflats replaced with the recall. Our second set was even noisier and more dangerous as they wore very unevenly. The service manager said they were almost square when we brought the van in for a flat tire. There was an unexplainable rip in the outer wall. Previously the tires were very loud, very unstable ride and extreme vibrations. When we went in for the flat we demanded to be replaced with new "regular" tires. With our choice, they replaced for free 3 out of 4 and repainted our rims which completely bubbled up and were peeling off. We have AAA and carry a can of fix a flat. We are willing to go without a spare for the MUCH safer and very quiet comfortable ride that we now have!! Demand help. Expect nothing less, Toyota and your dealer is well aware of these major issues.
  • Options
    mark3365mark3365 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 2009 fwd sienna LE with 17 inch wheels (with evp #3). Are these tires for this set up 'run flat' with no spare or are they regular tires with a spare as is for the 16 inch wheels?
  • Options
    yatesjoyatesjo Member Posts: 186
    Run flats only come with AWD, not FWD. The AWD needs the run flats because the AWD axle interferes with the normal placement of the spare.
  • Options
    fredhogbristlefredhogbristle Member Posts: 1
    My 1 owner 05 AWD Sienna has 54K on original Bridgestones, now need replaced for 1st time. Not bad for Run Flats or any other van tire.
    Rear alignment was noted at 34K to be out of spec so Toyo replaced rear axle at no charge.
    I have been treated fine by Toyo and tire performance has been good.
  • Options
    hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    We have been looking for the right tire for about a month or so and can't decide between the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons or the Yokohama TRZ's. I wanted to hear from you Sienna owners who have these tires. They both have good reviews on Tire Rack, that's what makes this decision so hard.

We are looking for a quiet and smooth ride mainly, but still want a good handling tire.

Thanks, just wanted some feedback with owners of Sienna's with these tires.
  • Options
    sidb989sidb989 Member Posts: 12
    Hi

I am in the market for a mini-van and have come across some threads and have been finding problems with run-flat tires.

Can someone please share some knowledge and experiences with run-flats? pros/cons

When I price a similar config on Honda Odessey it is >5k in price.

Any help would be great.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The general consensus is to avoid them if you can.

They often do not last very long and they're expensive to replace on top of that. You can mount conventional tires instead but then you still lack a spare.

Having said that, they come with AWD and it's the only AWD minivan currently offered, so just get FWD instead.
  • Options
    mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    I went with the Yokohamas and a mini spare a year ago. My 06 came with the jack already, so the mini spare fits just fine behind the drivers side rear seat in the well. These tires made a HUGE difference from the run flats. Car drives smoother, quieter and, with much better snow traction. The mini spare fits in the well perfectly. This is a no-brainer upgrade IMHO :shades:
  • Options
    Where did you get the mini spare? I have an 06 and I would love to go that route.
  • Options
    jcortneyjcortney Member Posts: 7
    Have you checked with Toyota as to what this does to your waranty? I would emanage that this gives you one tire much smaller in diameter and will but some amount of stress on the 4WD as Toyota requires you to replace all tires when one goes flat if the remaining are worn to much, I do not know where the tread depth has got to be and you can replace one tire,
  • Options
    I would question the wisdom of replacing one of the tires with a mini on a AWD vehicle. On our Subaru Legacy there is a fuse position that should be used to defeat the AWD and turn the car into a FWD if a tire must be replaced with a mini spare to protect the AWD system. Does the Sienna have anything like that in the AWD model?
  • Options
    No, I haven't checked with Toyota. However the mini spare would only be used to get to a tire store to replace the flat. Also, I have a plug kit and a pump to plug the flat if it happens. I'm not sure if a run-flat can be plugged.

I would hate to have to replace all four run-flats if I only have problems with one of them. Makes me wonder if I bought the right vehicle. I have always considered Toyota to be the best vehicle on the market.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why people blame Toyota so much when the problems are inherent to the AWD and run-flat tires. The need to change all four tires at once is a requirement of AWD in general, and even non-AWD vehicles should get tires changed in pairs. It is true that Toyota made an engineering compromise on the AWD by specifying expensive, short lived run flats but Toyota did not sell an inferior quality product. Some people (I'm not one) even consider runflats a desirable option in and of themselves.

Toyota has the only AWD minivan on the market right now. If your requirements were AWD and minivan, then you got the right vehicle. If all you needed was 7 passenger capacity and AWD, Toyota has well reviewed SUV/crossover offerings. If all you needed was a minivan then the Sienna FWD is as good as any on the market.
  • Options
    kajnconantkajnconant Member Posts: 5
    Because Toyota didn't tell me the average tire shop couldn't deal with run-flats.
    It cost me towing and an extra night hotel and then had to wait for special delivery for a new tire... the old one couldn't be repaired.
    It cost something like $500 and a days vacation because I did not have a spare!
    Corporate Toyota would not do ANYTHING for me!

I will NOT buy Toyota again.

Kevin
  • Options
    You are expecting things out of Toyota that no other manufacturer will give you either.

I've never seen a new car warranty that covers the tires. Tires are warrantied through the tire manufacturer and even then road hazards are not covered. Most manufacturers these days have models with run flats but I would be surprised if any would cover your expenses or have any advisement that po-dunk tire shops cannot handle them- the manufacturers' position generally is that all service needs should be taken to a dealer.

A decent dealer might have told you about the limitations but when was the last time anyone found one of those?
  • Options
    You understand the point though?

I'm not looking for warranty coverage. Yellow Stone Service Center could not work on wheels with run-flat tires... Neither could the nearest Tire shops in Wyoming or Montana.

We were stranded! Toyota did not explain that not only will the run-flat tires only go 50-miles... but hardly any tire shops have run flat tires and the right equipment to even work on them! Just about anywhere you get a flat wont be able to replace your run-flat tire! That's a MAJOR oversight that cost my family and I a lot of time, money, and lost vacation.

Kevin
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Son has '04 XLE Limited with 60k miles. Tires rotated front/back, and the right side tires are really worn on outer third. This is the second set of tires. Any ideas as to the possible cause(s) would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I understood your point just fine but disagree with it. In case you missed my point let me repeat:
    Most manufacturers these days have models with run flats but I would be surprised if any would cover your expenses or have any advisement that po-dunk tire shops cannot handle them- the manufacturers' position generally is that all service needs should be taken to a dealer.

Auto manufacturers have little of no control over what independent shops can or cannot do. They can only speak to the capability of their dealer network. I don't see any mention of going to a Toyota dealership in your post. In the Yellowstone area there are Toyota dealers in Rexberg Idaho and Bozman, MT and per the Toyota website they both have Toyota Tire Centers.
  • Options
    You honestly feel that my experience was something unusual that I should not complain about? And, that Toyota, being the exceptional company they are (NOT)... should not do anything about it?

All I want is a donut tire so I don't have to worry about where I may get a blow out.
    Bozeman is where they were able to ship a tire from. I suppose when you get a flat in your new Toyota you don't mind paying the towing costs?

The lamest excuse in the world is, "it's okay for me to do it because the others do it too".

I don't like how Toyota dealt with me.
    I don't like my run-flat tires.
    I want a donut tire.

You may be correct, other companies may be the same way... that doesn't make it right.

Kevin
  • Options
    Ok, well due to the AWD system there is no place for a donut.

We owned a 04 Sienna Limited AWD and after the runflats wore, we put on a set of regular tires and carried a spare in the back for long trips. In town we didn't because thats what we got AAA for. Now we have a FWD Sienna and it has the spare, that was one of the reason we traded the 04 in for an 07 Sienna FWD, also the gas mileage and power is better.

Well I don't think Toyota could do anything in your situation, you should have know it had run-flats and no spare, it tells you in the manual and when you buy it. Also it says it on the tires. Just my .02 cents. :D
  • Options
    I have a FWD with a spare. I looked at the compromises of the AWD version, including run-flats, and decided against it. However, as Hause suggested, a spare for long trips wouldn't be a bad idea... there is room to fit the tire in the well behind the third row.

If I were in your exact situation, and did not trust the run flats to get me to the dealer, I would probably have asked for the cheapest tire the shop had that would fit (used wouldn't even be out of the question) just to get me to the dealer where it could be fixed the same day. If the experience cost as much as you say, the price of the cheap tire would be worth it.

It is your choice if you won't buy from Toyota again after this, but the problem isn't with Toyota so much as your expectations being too high. If you think any other manufacturer would treat you better then you are probably going to be disappointed again. That isn't an excuse, that is a reality.
  • Options
    I completely agree. I think Toyota deals with it's costumers as best as it can. It is up to you however if you don't want to buy another Toyota.
  • Options
    calessancalessan Member Posts: 18
    I've heard of many people doing this -- replacing their run-flats with regular tires, and carrying a spare for long trips, and using AAA for local trips if needed. How well does this work with kids in car seats? Does AAA tow, or are they able to replace/repair the tire? I wouldn't want to count on installing my car seats in the AAA car/truck -- and I won't ride with my children unrestrained.

For long trips where you need to carry the spare, does it take up most of your luggage room? One of the reasons I want a minivan is for the extra room for luggage and baby gear on long trips (which we make regularly; 9+ hours each way). Our wagon can barely squeak everything in with only one kid, and we've got another on the way.
  • Options
    There is a space in the well behind the third row, on the drivers side that is shaped to lay a tire flat in. The only downside to this location is that you can't fold that side of the seat down.

The Sienna has an incredible amount of room back there. Even with a tire in there you should be able to carry a double stroller, folding play yard, medium sized cooler, and a couple big suitcases back there easily. We have 3 under 4 years and have fit that much stuff back there with enough room left that a spare tire on the bottom wouldn't be a problem. Our Subaru Legacy station wagon couldn't carry nearly as much.
  • Options
    sandcroftsandcroft Member Posts: 4
    :sick: Aside from Run-Flats, which I will NOT buy another set of, can anyone tell me of a standard tire that they have had good luck with on a Sienna AWD? With the body style/weighting - top heavy, in hilly driving with lots of corners and the AWD factor, I've found the Sienna does chew up the tires like many other Toyota models do.

Just looking for someone who has a good recommendation for me to buy for replacement of the Run-Flats I am going to retire.
  • Options
    I bought the Mini spare for my 06 awd directly from my Toyota dealer. It fits perfectly in the well behind the rearmost seat on the drivers side. Have about 10K on Yokohoma Avids. Great traction on snow and ice, smooth riding and, quiet. This is a great alternative to sticking with the run flats. Running 40 psi in the tires will really help in getting better gas mileage as well as extending tire life.
  • Options
    calessancalessan Member Posts: 18
    I thought that you couldn't use a mini spare with AWD. Is there a way to disable the AWD in the Sienna, if you do need to use the mini spare?
  • Options
    If you use the mini spare to go a limited distance I highly doubt that you are going to do damage to the drive train. The diameter of the mini spare is approximately the same as the standard tires though.

The main reason Toyota has gone with the run flats was the fact that while you can store the mini spare behind the rear most seat, you can no longer fold down that seat on the AWD model. This has not been much of an issue for me in the last year. The benefits in ride and handling have been MORE than worth it. ;)
  • Options
    taffertaffer Member Posts: 1
    I DID NOT RECEIVE a written notification from Toyota that I could have replaced my B380 run flat tires due to excessive wear. 4 out of 5 oil changes to date were done at Toyota Dealer. Each time dealer noticed uneven wear on the tires and recommended that I BUY a new set ... or at the very least do a rotation. Have a record of doing 4 Rotations at Toyota Dealers. Another oil change was done on our one and only long trip with this van and not at a Toyota dealership. Sienna van has 28K miles now yet the warranty on the tires expired 4 mos ago.
    I just found out about this issue. So far, dealer had managed to convince me that it was my driving style that was causing the excessive wear on the inner part of the front tires.
    Toyota Corp's response as to why the dealer did not offer the exchange the tires was: "The dealer must not have thought that the wear was excessive."
    Yet, the dealer did not forget to get me to buy either a new set or "at the very least do a rotation" ... of which I have done 4X.
    Does anyone know whether Toyota reached a lump sum agreement with Bridgestone regarding this issue. If so, Toyota Corp and its Dealer network would be financially motivated to minimize the cost. If discovered, that amounts to Fraud.
    Any recourse?
  • Options
    fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    I've always had good luck with Michelins; that said I wanted to save some money so I tried the Cooper CS4 for my wife's CRV - great tire!...Have them now on my Edge as well.

I'm looking into both the Sienna, & the Odyssey; most of the Odysseys come with Michelin LX4 (decent tire, but nothing special)...Most of the Siennas come with Dunlops (POS tires IMO), but I have noticed a few with the Michelin LX4.
  • Options
    06sienna_mass06sienna_mass Member Posts: 3
    I have a 06 sienna LE AWD, like you, I live in MA. Sadly, all the wheels have corrosion and all tires have uneven wear on my sienna. I wrote to both the dealer (Bernardi Toyota, Framingham) and the Toyota in CA, no reply. What should we do? I will post some pics soon. :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • Options
    I have the exact same vehicle as you do and I live in New Hampshire. Don't give up on this and write a strong letter to Toyota. I did and I got results. Look at some of my posts a couple of pages back. The dealer had all four of my wheels refinished without charge and they now look great.
  • Options
    dave_nazdave_naz Member Posts: 1
    It's a full diameter half width sort of tire. BUT, I think the diameter is meant to match a 16 inch conventional tire, not the 17 inch AWD which seems to be slightly larger in diameter. (The reason I believe this is that I can't get the 17 run flat to fit in the same space.)
  • Options
    onthego4onthego4 Member Posts: 3
    We have to replace our tires at least once a year on our 2004 Sienna. They never make it to the mileage they are supposed to. We rotate and balance. We have tried different brands, different types, but they wear way too quickly. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, what did you do?
  • Options
    Do you have Run-Flats?
  • Options
    No, not sure what kind. I have called the dealership service dept. they recommended tires that we have already tried. Michelin and Yokahama
  • Options
    What kind of miles do you get out of them? Just curious.

My OE tires typically get about 28k miles. If you have a 2004 model, and it were my van, I'd probably be on my 3rd set by now. Maybe 2nd but well worn.
  • Options
    gmva1gmva1 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone tell me if the wheels/rims on the AWD will support normal tires (not run flats)? I have a 2009 and after seeing the review on the Dunlap run flats and peoples' posting of poor durability I am thinking it would be better to replace them with normal tires. If I did need to replace one while on travel, it sounds like it would be a major problem rather than a 3 hour stop at any tire repair shop it could take a day just to get the tire.

If anyone has replaced them with normal tires, is there any impact on handling?
  • Options
    We get about 20,000 to 40,000. I am on the 6th or 7th set.
  • Options
    "It's a full diameter half width sort of tire. BUT, I think the diameter is meant to match a 16 inch conventional tire, not the 17 inch AWD which seems to be slightly larger in diameter. (The reason I believe this is that I can't get the 17 run flat to fit in the same space.) "
    The min-spare I have is sized T155 80R 17. If I take a tape measure it is pretty much the same diameter as my 17" Yokohoma conventional tires. It is NOT meant for a 16" diameter tire. (You need to Push Harder to make your run flat fit !!)
  • Options
    sienna45sienna45 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 Sienna AWD; I drive in the mountains in Central Pennsylvania on gravel and mud roads, and through snow. I would like to have a little more rubber under me for these rough roads and am considering buy Pirelli Scorpions in 225/6517 rather than the stock 225/60 17 Dunlop run flats. Their width range is 6.5 - 8.5 inches, with a recommended 7 inch width rim; they have a 28.5 inch diameter that contrasts with a 27.9 inch on the Dunlops. The constraint is the front struts. The closest alternative is Yokohama ATR's in 225/60 17 (65's are too big at a 29.6 inch diameter)
    Question: will the Pirelli's fit?

By the way, I am in the process of converting the Sienna into an analog of a Volkswagon Westfalia Camper.

Thank you.