Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-2x Tire/Wheel Questions

christopher35christopher35 Member Posts: 29
edited April 2014 in Saab
Mamike be prepared to spend some of that savings on new tires if your 9-2x comes with Bridgestones 225/45 R17. They are the loudest tire I've ever driven on! They made the cabin noise totally unbearable. I managed to drive 9,500 miles before I couldn't take it any longer. I went on TireRack.com read the reviews on the Pirelli Zero Neros.... WOW! quiet and handles like a dream even in rain.
Consequently, I have (4) Brigestones 225/45 R17 for sale for anyone who owns a Saab 9-2x with 17" wheels and is totally deaf or severely hard of hearing! 4/$250. I'll pay freight! :)

Comments

• Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    The Zero Neros are great tires while they last, but they wear out extrememly quickly (they have been included on the 9-3 w/ 17" wheels"). They mormally have to replaced between 10 & 20K miles
  • Options
    christopher35christopher35 Member Posts: 29
    I'm hoping to get at least 25K on Zero Neros. I will enjoy very quiet mile I drive on them! Thanks, I will plan do several rotations in the next 1.5 to 2 years. The handling is phenomenal.
    With the upgraded steering rack that Saab uses on the 9-2X and the addition of the Zero Neros, I am just starting to enjoy this car now. The road noise was so bad it made me really cranky while driving the car.
  • Options
    harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    Well I pulled the trigger last weekend. I was planning on running my '99 Cougar for another year but the $7000 rebate was just too tempting. I'll take delivery of my silver 9-2X Aero with manual trans and cold package on Saturday. Got it for invoice less the rebate with essentially no haggling. I will probably get a set of 17 inch wheels and summer tires from Tirerack for the nice weather and install the stock 16s with the all season tires for the winter.

Jim
  • Options
    wolftimwolftim Member Posts: 34
    Congratulations on your purchase. If you go with the dealer 17s it'll cost you 1800 so anything less is a good deal. Just out of curiosity, shy would you keep the 16s when you buy your 17s? They make quality All-season tires for 17s, found them both at Big-O tires and the Tire Rack. Just wondering. Also, just a heads up, if you have a Discount Tire store around, show them the price of the tires from the Tire Rack and they will meet or beat the price. Again, congtrats and enjoy the drive.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'd probably hold on to the 16" wheels too, and put a set of dedicated snow tires (not all season tries) on them. I'd put the 16" snows on the car in November, and keep them on till late March or so.

Bob
  • Options
    wolftimwolftim Member Posts: 34
    I guess it all depends on where you live too. I live near Seattle where there is only like two weeks dedicated to probable snowfall, so an all-season will do just fine. If you live in Maine then a snow tire might be helpful.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Normally I would agree with you. However, I was in the fortunate situation this year when I got a free set (4) of Dunlop snow tire mounted on steel rims for free, to go on my Subaru Forester. Untill I had had these snow tires, I was perfectly content with the stock all-season tires; but even here in Maryland, where we don't get that much snow, I did notice a big difference in traction with the snows mounted.

Bob
  • Options
    harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    I agree that winter tires are far superior to all-seasons in the snow. I have had winter tires on both my previous front wheel drive cars and they sure make a difference. However this is at expense of performance on dry roads. My thinking at not getting the sport package was that the 17 inch tires were summer type therefore I would be faced with buying winter tires on top of the $1800 package. I thought I would try the stock 16 inch Bridgestones next winter to see how they perform in snow with AWD. If I am not happy I'll take them off and intall a set of winter tires. In any case this way I will have two sets of mounted tires and wheels for easy changeover for at least $2000 less than getting the sport package and then second set of mounted tires for winter.

Jim
  • Options
    ebrennanebrennan Member Posts: 1
    I will give you $250 for the rims and tires
This discussion has been closed.