Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pathfinder Vibration

trip1trip1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Nissan
message: I have a 1999.5 PF and have a vibration b/t 60-75 mph. It has
been there from day one and I currently have 33,000 miles on it. The
dealer has tried everything. A new 2001 today did the same thing.

What can I do? Who can I contact?

Thanks in advance. I’m at a loss in this.

My e-mail is trip@uab.edu

Trip Farmer

Comments

• PeterUbersPeterUbers Member Posts: 48
    This is a common problem on many SUV's, including my 1998 Isuzu Rodeo. The problem is in one of three places:

1.) The wheels/tires are NOT properly balanced. Around 60/75 mph, a common range for the steering/vehicle vibration (shimmy, as they say in the biz) to begin, the wheels will vibrate in unison causing the full body vibration -- it SHOULD stop vibrating once you gain more speed .. say around.. 80 mph+.

2.) Check the alignment (including toe-in/caster positioning) on the front wheels.
    3.) The TYPE of tire is crucial. I experienced this problem from day one with my 1998 Rodeo, until I installed Yokohama Tires -- then it went away completely! The tires I had before were Goodyear SUV tires (i'm not quite sure of the type, but i can look it up for you). Now, I have 50K miles on the car and just got a brand new set of Firestone Firehawk SS20 tires, and no problems! The key is to install either a passenger tire (as opposed to a "big-toothed" light-truck tire (i.e. with non-passenger tire tread)) and this will eliminate most of your problems in city/highway driving scenarios. I doubt you do much offroading, as this will be the only thing limited by the passenger tire set.

Lemme know how it goes!

Pete
This discussion has been closed.