Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Best Service Facilities

Comments

• fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Mike,

I have very mixed feeling on that. I haven't changed a tensioner or waterpump since a failure in 1981 on my '79 Datsun. Maybe I have been lucky, but these components often last the lifetime of the vehicle today. The belt on my Camry was changed at 65k or so. I sold it at 115k to someone at work. At last count, the car had close to 150k, still with those components intact.

Yes, if good luck fails and it has to be opened up again, the full labor is there. But frankly, sometimes there is something to be said for the known quantity of good, broken-in parts verses the unknown of those new parts in the box. It is part of the "infant mortality vs. lifetime" issue that reliability watchers must consider.

Steve
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I thought in most car manuals the waterpump and associated stuff is actually on a replacement interval? I could be wrong, but I like to error on the side of a new component. To each his own.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Some folks like the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" strategy. The only catch is with an interference engine, if the belt snaps you're replacing things like pistons and valves if you gamble and lose.

-juice
    and they are specifically mentioned on most maintenance schedules, but I have never seen tensioner or waterpumps listed on any service schedule, or even in the shop manuals under timing belt service that I bought for a few of the cars.

An interesting aside, I work with one engineer who analyzed failed aftermarket timing belts at a shop his family owned, and is convinced that the best strategy is to run the original undisturbed.

Steve
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    But those were aftermarket. I'd strongly suggest using OE Subaru parts, at least for the timing belt. Any production variation at all could create a mess.

A couple of H6 engines had chains break, and I've heard of one or two need the tension adjusted. Not a lot, but a few early production issues did appear with the chains.

-juice
  • seamus3seamus3 Member Posts: 98
    they shop i was going to guaranteed the belt for so many miles, i don't remember and don't have the paper work in front of me. the belt started to squeak a little after about 5k miles so i went back and they were more than happy to adjust it and make sure there were no problems and the sound was gone. something i had never heard of before. i thought that most places took your money, sent you on your way and didn't want anything else to do with you.
    OE parts, i had to wait an extra day before they could do the service because they had to get sooby parts. i didn't much mind the changing of the water pump and such, they didn't charge me separate labor for any of that work. i just got the one labor rate that was for the timing belt. make sense?
    wish i could find a place like that where i'm at now, but they're a rarity.
  • shortlidshortlid Member Posts: 50
    Fibber2, my brother got his '91 Celica from Geiss. I have 120,000 on the Corolla wagon now and I have not had a SIGLE major repair. But, like you said I am in the MID_WEST now and wash the under body of salt every time it gets warm!! The fins on the Rad, are geting brittle at the bottom though! Did you have a problem with rust BETWEEN the sems inside the pass. side rear front wheel arch?? Where in Newburg is Toyota of Newburg??
    Joel,

Basic body panels were rust free. It was where you could not see or get to that was the problem. For instance, the fuel tank sits up against the underbody, and was trapping salt/sand. So the rust damaged the fuel & vent line system, top of the tank, and bottom of the floor pan.

Toyota of Newburgh is actually about 5 miles south of Newburgh, on Rt 9W, in New Windsor.

Steve
    I am VERY interested in this problem with the Corolla. Can you please e-mail me at [email protected] so we can discuss how I can avoid this!!! I think I should be able t get to it from under the rear seat?? Thanks

Joel
    No problem, but I cannot do it until next week. I am traveling, and am using a guest PC.

Steve
    Thanks, like I said I am a college student and can't afford another car fopr some time!! I need to keep this one with 120,000 hard miles in tip-top shape to be able to keep it till 300k or so!! I will look at the Haynes to see if I can drop the tank and see what kind of condition that area is in on my Corolla!
    Can you send me your private e-mail via my address thanks.
  • tdogboytdogboy Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone.

Does anyone know a good Subaru mechanic in the San Jose, CA area?

We just bought a 2002 Subaru Forester S+ and I want to have a good resource in my area for maintenance and repairs.

Thanks a lot for your help!
    tdogboy
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    For any major repairs, I'd go to Santa Cruz Subaru (warranty work) or Kunos in Mountain View.

Ken
  • boba6boba6 Member Posts: 18
    My 2002 Forester still hasn't gotten to service milage yet, but wondering if anyone had comments about service facilities in my area. I'm a couple of miles from Conley Subaru, where I bought it, and saw the generally favorable report at #126 above. Just curious if there are any other comments about them, or independents in the area. I work in downtown ATL so a MARTA-friendly independent would work fine too. Thanks.
  • semperfi3semperfi3 Member Posts: 2
    I already posted this message on another board unaware that this one existed so I'm posting it again.
    hope I don't get into trouble :(

Hello to all. Nice to be here....
    Don't know if this is the place to ask this but here goes....
    I've been reading these posts for months (fascinating stuff) and I'm done procrastinating (I hope) and will be buying either a new 2003 Forester X or a new 2002 Forester L within the month. Depends on the cost.
    I live in New York's Lower Hudson Valley but work
    in Manhattan.
    Anyone have any advice/experience with the Service provided by Feder's of Middletown or Ramsey Suburu. Appreciate any input.
    Thanks!
    Marty
  • kallbergkallberg Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone!

Just bought a new 2002 Legacy L Wagon, and am looking for recommendations for dealer service in the Philadelphia area. The closest dealers to us are Wilkie, Metro, Rafferty, and Eger: any comments or suggestions about these (or other favorite) dealers would be most welcome.

Thanks!
    Jeff
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    You might want to try the Forester forum. As I am a neighbor of yours, I purchased my OB at Colonial in Danbury. Pretty straight forward. You can also try Kolby in Rockland, Smith Cairns in Brewster or a dealer in Staten Island that Paisan highly recommends (can't remember the name, but I'm sure Paisan will respond). Did my search via e-mails and phone calls. Good luck.

BTW, by your ID I am assuming your are or were a Marine. Thanks!!

Greg
    Sales in the NY Area:
    Staten Island Subaru - Ask for Mark Jerrick(tell them Mike sent you)
    Coney Island Subaru - Ask for Ira (tell them Mike sent you)

Service:
    Flemington Subaru in Flemington.

-mike
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    In Orangeburg, NY, (Rockland County) on Rt. 303, just off exit 5 of the Palisades Interstate Parkway. No nonsense sales, large selection and excellent service. Dennis Clifford is the service manager. (845) 359-7777.

Len
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    FYI: Conley Subaru sold out to Royal which opened up for business down the street in July. I haven't had the need to go there for service yet so I can't personally recommend them. However, I was talking to a fellow Subaru owner (Outback) who had been experiencing an intermittent airbag warning light. After several attempts, Conley Subaru still hadn't diagnosed the problem. The first trip to Royal (which in all honesty might now have the same mechanics) resulted in the problem being fixed. An interesting aside is that SOA volunteered to pay for the 30k service as compensation for the inconvenience. Way to go Subaru!

-Frank P.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
  • psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I am going to get a 03 forester in the next week or so. I am looking for a dealership with good service and care. Has anyone had any dealing with Freehold Subaru or sommerset Subaru.
    Is probably the best service in NJ.

-mike
    I tried Somerset and were satisfied with them. The do services according to the manual and that's rare. No Saturday hours though, so that's no good for me. I've been going to Flemington for 2 years and have been very happy (although I have a little tranny problem that I'll talk about in Maint. & Repair).

-Dennis
  • amsbearamsbear Member Posts: 147
    The service manager (and techs) are good over at Sommerset (Middlesex Foreign Cars). I had my 98 OB Ltd there for them to find/correct a mysterious and intermittent squeak. It was there twice actually and both times they were able to give me a loaner car with only a week lead time. They spent a good amount of time to finally identify the problem to be dry axle seals which a little lube cured. No charge at all for either service. I did buy the car from them last October which is probably the reason for some of the courtesy.
  • spudmanspudman Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone have any experience with Annapolis Subaru or Wilkins Automotive?
    Thanks
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    I've had excellent experience with CARTER SUBARU in Shoreline, just north of Seattle... they have an extremely large facility & parts inventory. Non-commission-based service staff, open 7 days a week + early/late hours, and if you purchase a car there, you get a loaner even for something as mundane as an oil change. They were even voted best car dealer by Seattle Weekly. However, they can be a little pricey... my '91 Legacy is approaching 200k miles, and it's sometimes hard to justify spending a ton for upkeep.
    So... there's an independent shop called SMART SERVICE that deals with Subarus exclusively, also located in Shoreline. They are much smaller, but also do great work, and at a more reasonable price. They take great pride in knowing each customer and their vehicle.
    Take your pick, they're both superb & worth a drive!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I've been to both dealers, although I haven't had any service done at either, nor have I purchased a vehicle from either.

Of the two, I'm more impressed with Annapolis Subaru. They seem more established, and had a better selection of cars. They're also aligned with a Volvo franchise, whereas Wilkins is aligned with a Buick franchise (if that means anything).

Bob
  • texan5texan5 Member Posts: 23
    We have two dealerships here, Austin Subaru and Gillman Subaru. Anybody here care to comment on the quality of either?

texan5
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Can anyone give me any feedback on their experiences both pro and con with the sevice department at Townn Motors Subaru Englewood, New Jersey. They are the closest Subaru sevice facility to my home in northern Manhattan
    I know one of the mechanics over there. Great guy. I heard they are ok for service (as far as the service writers and pricing).

-mike
  • skiweeskiwee Member Posts: 28
    Is that who you're referring to mike?
    I met him when I got my Baja. Really nice guy and seems very knowledgeable, although I haven't brought the car in for service yet.
    Mike
    Yep, great guy. Tell him Paisan says hello when you see him for service :)

-mike
    you should wait until after he services your car before you tell him hello from Paisan. ;-)

Greg
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Greg that was a low blow, LOL.

Cheers Pat.
    :) Haaa Funny.

-mike
  • postmodernpostmodern Member Posts: 38
    Hi Greg!

I read on one of the other forums that you had the left head gasket on your OBW replaced at Colonial Subaru. Are you satisfied with their service dept? I'm thinking about going there for SueBee's transmission rod recall. She also needs to have a squeak/squeal looked at -- I think that it's just a dry tierod bushing that needs a quick lube. I'm also going to mention the occasional burning smell that I've noticed just to get it on the record. The 2 or 3 times I've noticed it have been after highway drives. The first time it happened I though it might be the new tires, but it looks like others have noticed it also (Fibber2??). Otherwise SueBee has been perfect for 23K miles (14 months old on 12 Feb).

Lyn
    We still have to pick a lunch date to look over all the stuff I brought back from Japan!

I thought the Ford side at Colonial was by far the best service dept I have ever delt with, but Greg will have to tell us how the Subaru side of the house is doing.

Strong burning smell when I pulled into the garage last night - perhaps the worst day yet. The most concentrated spot is at the hood cowl on the drivers side - right where the reg & inspection stickers are.

Steve
  • postmodernpostmodern Member Posts: 38
    Hi Steve! Just set the date!

It's funny -- I also had the burning smell again last night. It was just a quick whiff from inside while I was waiting for the light at the TSP exit -- no time (or inclination) to get outside to trace the smell. Yet again it was after a highway drive. The weather was wintery, the defroster was on (w/o the wiper deicer), the wipers were on intermittent (low), and I had recently used the windshield washer. I'd say that each time the smell has been under the hood more toward the driver's side. The washer fluid container is in that area. Maybe it's something to do with the washer/wiper system?

Should we move over to the OB problems board???

Lyn
    Sorry, didn't check this thread recently. I am very happy with the work done by Colonial. Not only did they replace the head gasket, but, I complained about pulsating brakes. They wound up replacing the front rotors (hot spots), resurfaced the rear and gave me new pads all around - all under warranty. I have been checking my fluids and the cleanliness of the job. Excellent.

Greg
  • vin_amsvin_ams Member Posts: 26
    Anybody out there have any feedback with Manfredi Subaru in Staten Island, NY?
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Vinny-
    Normally Paisan will sound off, but I think I beat him to it.

The dealer, Mark Jerrick, I've met him personally on a number of occasions. Very knowledgeable and straight forward.

As for the Service Dept., can't tell you any, since I've not serviced my car there. I'll leave that for Mark Jerrick.

If you're looking for a straight forward deal, give Mark a call. Tell him Paisan [mike] sent you. I'm sure Paisan [mike] approves of that. :)

-Dave
    Only Deal with Mark though, the other sales guys are mediocre at best. He's off on Mondays and this Sunday.

Service is not good there at all. I usually go to Flemington, NJ for my service or Town Motors in Englewood.

-mike
    I see you are an amsoil dealer!!! That's great to know, I'll be contacting you about getting some oil for sure.

Also great to see another Brooklyn/SI person on here. Bat1161, Hypov and I are all in the Brooklyn/SI area and get together sometimes. Look for the SVX with the AWD 4ME plates.

-mike
    Hmmm, Edmunds discount? :-)

I use an Amsoil air filter in my WRX. I used the gear oil and my Outback Sport and I'm trying to decide between Motul and Amsoil for the WRX.

I was ready to get some Mobil1, but now I'm not so sure after seeing some oil analysis results on Bobtheoilguy. Can you tell I'm indecisive? :-)

Back on topic, I go to Flemington for service/parts (I'm in Middlesex County NJ) and bat1161 from SI goes there as well. They give you a loaner for 30K, 60, 90K service regardless of where you bought the car.

-Dennis
    I wonder if they'll give me a loaner SVX if I bring in the SVX for the 90K service :)

-mike
    Actually, I should clarify that.
    They give free "rentals" and don't offer Subaru loaners. You might be cruising in a Neon. :-) At least it's free though.

-Dennis
    Hello Auto-x :)

-mike
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I also use an Amsoil filter in my Forester.

paisan: I saw an SVX in for service when I went to Flemington, but it looked to be in much worse shape than yours.

Ed
This discussion has been closed.