Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 1500 chevy silverado V6 woes

klopezklopez Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
I just recently bought a 2001 chewy silver ado 1500 with a 4.3L V6 Vortex engine with a 4 speed automatic transmission. I am wondering if my truck has a problem or not. When I accelerate to get on the highway, my transmission shifts 4 times. When it shifts to the final gear and at 65 miles per hour, my RPM are at 1500. To accelerate on the highway quickly, I have to push the accelerator all the way down to have it downshift. The RPM only go to 2300 when it downshifts, and that is the maximum RPM at this speed. It is like the transmission has 5 speeds instead of four. I cannot accelerate quick at high speeds such as 65mph without flooring the gas pedal only to downshift and see my RPM ax at 2300 and creep to 70mph. This is really annoying. I have driven mostly cars. I had a 1999 grand am St with a 3.4L V6, and when I floored the gas pedal, the RPM rev to 5600 and that was at 65mph. At 65mph, the RPM on the grand Am were about 2100. I have had the same results with a 2000 Ford Taurus with a 3.0L V6 engine and a four speed automatic transmission. Am I comparing apples to oranges, or do I have a problem with my truck.

Any information will be very helpful.

Comments

• willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    My Silverado has the 5.3L V8, so I don't have any insight to offer, but you are more likely to get responses on the heavily tracked topic, "Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII".

mledtje "Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII" Mar 8, 2001 12:14pm
  • mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    I have a 98 model C1500 x-cab with the V6 and
    auto. I don't have this problem. Is your truck
    a regular cab with the 3.08 rearend? I would
    take the truck back to the dealer and have them
    check it out. Also try to test drive another truck
    equipped like your's to verify if they all the same
    problem.
  • blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    That little 4.3L 6-banger is just not enough engine to give you proper acceleration. Nothing wrong with it, except it's working it's poor little heart out just keeping you at highway speed.

Hans
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    I didn't know you could get the 4.3 V6 in a 1/2 ton truck. I sure wouldn't want it. It's weak enough in my wife's Blazer.

Peter
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I don't think you have a problem. I also have a V-6 Silverado 4x4 with automatic. What is your axle ratio? Mine is 3.73. Here is what I think is happening. What you feel at 65 mph is the torque converter unlocking. The converter unlocked would be about 2300 rpms in 4 th gear. In 3rd or 4th gears the torque converter can add what feels like an extra gear when it unlocks. Nevertheless, you should be shifting to either second or third gear when you floor the accelerator.

I had the same problem and found that I was not actually flooring the accelerator because of the floor mat. It seems GM is playing a game here to increase gas mileage. I think the reason why is that the V-6 has almost as much usable torque and horsepower as the 4.8 V-8 and thus would use about as much gas. This is because the V-6 makes max torque and hp at much lower rpms. The problem is here that gas mileage is no different then the V-8 because the power output is similar at lower rpms. So GM messed with the transmission shift points to get better gas mileage. This hurts performance.

The only way I figured out how to undo this without reprogramming was to bend the gas pedal slightly up. This allows high rpm shifts with ease and I do not have to "punch it". It completely transformed this truck. The only worry is that if you bend the accelerator up too much it is possible to stress the linkage when flooring.

By the way, I have timed this truck 0 to 60 mph with a Gtech meter and it runs 9.4 secs. It spins the tires on take off. Reaches the top speed limiter with ease. It has excellent performance. The guys on here that measure with size have no idea how well this engine runs. I would buy this V-6 again.

My average gas mileage is about 17 mpg. That includes all off road driving, towing, and high speed driving.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Peter

i agree driving my moms blazer last friday i realized how much i take my 5.3 for granted. Man the 4.3 is underpowered. I think the old 4.3's (like whats in my dads 92 S-10) are much better. Seems to have more power and better acceleration.

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I run 0-60 in 7.2 secs on a bad day. '00 rado xcab 5.3 with 3.73 and a couple of mods.
    Obyone -Your information has nothing to do with this topic, even more so when your truck is modified. Typical low class pickup truck guy talk trying to makeup for shortcomings in other areas.

For the record, my 99 Blazer 4x4 4.3 V-6 is running 7.84 sec 0 to 60 without mods. I do use synthetic oil in engine and both diffs, but not sure this helps. I do not understand why there is a great difference between trucks. Some say their 4.3 V-6 is very fast and some say it is slow. I do know that the engine and transmission can adapt to the driving style. Shift feel is adaptive too. In other words, the engine and transmission learn who is driving and adjust accordingly. I guess it is possible if you always accelerate at or near the maximum rate (I do) the truck may end up with a faster 0 to 60 time. That would explain why someone who gets in moms Blazer feels it is slow because he may be driving under her profile for a short trip.
    My mom doesnt drive like a grandma trust me. She drives faster than i do most of the time. Its scary to see her when she drives my truck. To much power for her.
    "Typical low class pickup truck guy talk trying to makeup for shortcomings in other areas."

I am assuming that you are starting a flame war.

That being the case, let's start with your truck with the 4.3. You established that your "fast" truck has a 0-60 of 9.4 secs. The stock 5.3 will still blow the 4.3 into the weeds and so will the 4.8. Don't know what the purpose of you posting the 9.4 secs in the first place as I would find it embarrassing to say the least. Best you compare to a VW bus.

Secondly, your 99 blazer 4x4 running 7.84 secs is also a joke. You're trying to tell me that your truck with the auto tranny runs over 1.5 secs slower in 0-60 times. The weight difference between the two is only 300#s, would that account for a 1.5 secs difference? Take another shot at it. Please do try to make more sense.

Good luck on this one now.
  • blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    Putting dinky little 6-bangers in a full size truck is a sucker play to sell cheap trucks to folks who don't know any better.
    I have a 1998 C1500 x-cab with the 4.3 w/auto.
    So far I have been pleased with the performance.
    I replaced a 91' model with the old TBI 350 and
    let me tell you the V6 is equal to performance of the old TBI 350 plus I get 8 mpg better mileage
    on the highway. Since GM puts these engines into
    trucks to help offset the CAFE the regular cabs
    usually have 3.08 RE which dampens performance.
    Going to a 3.42 or better yet a 3.73 will help.
    As far as cheap trucks let me say one thing, trucks should be cheap! Why pay $25k+ for something that 65%-75% is nothing more that a open
    metal box?? Where is the technology in that?
    So where does that leave the 5.3? with a 3.73?

Why pay $25k for an open box? It has to do with hauling and towing. Something the V6 wasn't designed to do. Where's the logic in buying a truck with an open box if it can't haul?
    V6 = to V-8?

WHAT?

i see gas mialge being better but other than that there is no comparison

Ryan
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    Most pickups are used as commuter vehicles, with infrequent light hauling/towing. A 4.3 is OK for that task. If you have a 3.42 or 3.73 rear end the truck responds relatively quickly in city driving. If you like to drive fast or like to quickly pass other vehicles on the expressway - this is not the vehicle for you. I'll take the 20 mpg city mileage in my V6 stripper and drive the speed limit.
    It is possible to carry the same load in a half ton pickup with a V6 as a half ton pickup with a V8 - that load would be, let me think, 1000 pounds. The difference would be how well the V6 handles the load, as compared to the V8 (acceleration up grades, on takeoff, etc.).This doesn't mean that the V6 can't possibly handle the load. I see new Silverado work trucks with V6 engines all over town with their tail dragging from a heavy load in the box, and/or a heavy trailer in tow. If I routinely hauled 1000 pounds I would not drive a V6 - I would drive my old 454.
    Most of the time I see 1/2 ton pickups driving around with the box empty - so where's the logic in buying a pickup at all? Maybe the government will not allow V8s in full size pickups in the future without a "work permit" :):)
    Each to his or her own - just don't drink up all of the gas - leave some for my puny V6.
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    I have to use my truck everyday as a commuter, but I have hauled hay, firewood, fill dirt etc on many occasions, just cause I choose to drive a truck daily because I hate cars (excluding the likes of Caprices, Fleetwoods,etc). I have a I6, and it is built for towing, the whole point of the engine is to work hard and be economical purchase price and milege. 6 can work very hard, don't forget that in the 50's the I6 was the main engine for trucks. Though I would prefer a V8 it works hard and can tow, just wont keep up with bigger engines.
    Obyone- I never said my V-6 Silverado was fast. You did. I say it has excellent performance, which it does. I have only driven a 3.73 versions of this truck. By the way, for all you V-8 fans, I looked up some 0-60 times for the 4.8 and 5.3. Guess what? They are in the 9 second range!! This is a line from the Car and Driver long term test Silverado, “Hauling butt to 60 mph had taken 9.7 seconds when the truck was new, and now it got there in a remarkable 9.1 seconds. “

As far as Rayns dump statement, V6 = to V-8? My 200 hp V-6 is faster then my brother’s old 5.7 liter TBI truck. I think the old TBI 350s made something like 175 hp. So the V-6 has more power. In fact, if you go to www.gmpowertrain.com you will find that the 4.3 V-6 torque curve is only off a few hp and lb/feet from the 4.8 liter V-8 in the normal driving rpm range of 1000 rpms to 3000 rpms. For the record, my time of 9.4 secs 0 to 60 with my V-6 was done with only 2000 miles on the odometer. It may get slightly quicker as the Cand D truck did. I had my laptop hooked up to the OBD2 port during the runs and recorded the PCM data. I wish you guys that put down the V-6 were able to state a valid argument with actual data, but most of you cannot. I bet most of you have not even driven a Silverado with this engine.

I just put my first $50 tank full today in the V-6 Silverado! That hurt! The tank took 30.5 gals. I hate putting this much money in gas and only considered this truck because it had the V-6.

Most of the work trucks around here are V-6 too. The ones with the leather and V-8 are just wanabee Cadillacs.
    "By the way, I have timed this truck 0 to 60 mph with a Gtech meter and it runs 9.4 secs. It spins the tires on take off. Reaches the top speed limiter with ease. It has excellent performance. The guys on here that measure with size have no idea how well this engine runs. I would buy this V-6 again."

My statement

I run 0-60 in 7.2 secs on a bad day. '00 rado xcab 5.3 with 3.73 and a couple of mods.

was to point out and compare the difference between a V6 and a V8 using the same methodology being the Gtech unit. You stated that the V6 has excellent performance. I don't agree and just pointed out with the 0-60 time that you posted.

Of course, you had to go on and start to name call and I replied in kind though I chose not to resort to your level of discussion.

And what of your posted 0-60 time for your Blazer? If it had a 5.3, I may believe your posted numbers....with the V6...no way.

Good luck on this one now.
    "As far as Rayns dump statement"

I am assuming you are try to communicate the word "dumb". If so, at least type it right.

Good luck on this one too.
    Rayns?

You mean Ryan? Me?

First off we are comapring the new V8's to the V6's not the old 5.7 liter like you are.

I have driven many of chevys 4.3 V-6s and the only thing which is better about them is the gas milage.

5.3 325ft/lbs torque 285 HP
    4.3 260ft/lbs torque 200 HP

And these are comparable?

Ryan
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    If you stop talking to this idiot, maybe she'll just go away.
    -- Don
    As my last statement with the old TBI 350. I have
    towed with both. Granted, the 350 has more torque
    but pulling 3000lbs I really couldn't tell the difference. I never towed in overdrive with both
    vehicles and the V6 gave me three miles per gallon
    better fuel mileage (@ 70mph) when towing. So the
    V6 can haul.
    But comparing the 4.3 V6 to the 5.3 V8 is like comparing the 5.3 V8 to the 6.6 V8 Duramax. ;)
    I was not comparing the 5.3 to the 4.3, but not surprised you would. I was comparing it to the 4.8 when I gave torque numbers. I don’t understand why it bothers you guys so much that I like my 4.3 V-6. For the record, the statement from Car and Driver (Had taken 9.7 seconds when the truck was new, and now it got there in a remarkable 9.1 seconds) is from a 5.3 V-8! Go figure, my 4.3 V-6 actually has a faster 0 to 60 time. I realize I do not have the extended cab and the C and D truck did. GM does not sell the V-6 with 4wd and ext cab because the weight would make it much slower.

I have towed 5000 lbs and the tow/haul mode really shines with the V-6. I towed in overdrive and was surprise tow/haul allowed it. I had to shift in to 3rd manually to avoid excess shifting in the mountains.

As far as my statement that the V-6 spins the tires do not read too much in to that. It was just to give more launch info. It is really not that difficult to spin the tires on a Reg cab 4wd pickup because so much of the weight is on the front. It really does hit the speed limiter very easy.

I got a $500 credit for the V-6 and did not have to pay $600 to $1200 more for a V-8 that uses more gas. It was a win win situation for me.

It seems that the poeple with the V-6 are more satisfied than the poeple with the V-8s think we should be.
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    All, especially Ryan,

I may have found out why some love their 4.3 Blazer and others find it under powered.

Many of you are aware of the constant problem of not starting my wife's Blazer has had. After the second starter burned out, the dealer found a TSB from June 00 about faulty crankshaft position sensors. Just for the heck of it, they replaced the one in the Blazer. (TSB applies to all earlier design engines.) It is a 20 minute job and a cheap part. The TSB stated that a faulty sensor would cause the computer to set an incorrect advance on the ignition.

The different was like night and day. The Blazer feels peppier and much more fun to drive. If you feel like the 4.3 Blazer is under powered, have your dealer look for this TSB. I'll get the copy from her Blaz tonight and post the number on my site at www.gearheadsanonymous.com in the Forums.

Peter
    Thanks for the info. What the hell is going on with GM quality? Starters, sensors, oil lines, ball joints, ect. Both my Blazer and Silverado have had a lot of problems. The interresting thing is that the most complex parts, engine mechanical, transmission, and transfer case have not been touched.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Sensors, computers, and their interfaces aren't complex parts? It sure was a helluva lot simpler (although not necessarily better) when we drove the distributor off the cam and could adjust the timing and points.
This discussion has been closed.