Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

97 V6 Toyota Camry LE. P0402 and P1411. Engine surges when idling, coasting, and decelerating.

chip_mermanchip_merman Member Posts: 1

Been having issues with my EGR valve again. Error codes I got at a shop in town: P0402 out of adjustment and P1411 EGR position sensor. I took the valve off, cleaned it with some carb cleaner, cleaned off the metal gaskets. One of the gaskets seems corroded, will try replacing it today or tomorrow. Got the EGR position sensor replaced about a year ago, started having problems again about a month after the fact. Any slick ways to test the EGR valve for a vacuum leak, and to see if the position sensor is working correctly? (pretty limited tools at my disposal...)

Other whatnots: The engine idles in park around 800rpm and surges once it heats up. Also surges when coasting or decelerating. It runs fairly smoothly provided I'm accelerating. I'm wondering if there is any issues that could result from the engine surging. The car has 205K miles on it, so if nothing too catastrophic could result from the surging I'll just keep driving it and deal with the decreased drivability. Don't want to sink too much more money into the thing...

If ya'll have any suggestions of what to do, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Comments

• mhs72mhs72 Member Posts: 1

I'm having the same problem. How is your car driving now?