Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Anyone know anything about the Detroit diesel??

modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
edited April 2014 in Ford
but my Super Duty is involved. Found a gorgeous 1996 33' Safari motorhome today. Can get it for mid book AND I'm getting what I paid for my Super Duty. It is a diesel pusher (rear engine) and has a 190 HP Detroit diesel with a 4 speed Allison Auto. Salesman unsure of torque. Empty the power was underwhelming, but I assume like most diesels a load won't affect it that much. It would pull 50ish on some steeper grades out of town and I did insist on hooking up the boat and heading for Baker grade before the deal is consummated.
I know people here swear by both Powerstrokes AND Cummins. Anyone have info and opinions on the Detroit???

Comments

• Options
    jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
    Had the 6V92 in buses that I worked on, the torque was unreal, something like 1400 lbs. HP was around 425 if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I know in the 1/4 million $ rigs they use Cats up to 450HP. The rig I'm talking about was about $100,000 new and the only info I got from the salesman was it was a straight 6 that had 190HP. MY GUESS would be that it had to have around 600lbs of torque to move 33' of pusher.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I know they are very good....

I drive by the impressive plant about once a month.....haha

sounds like a good setup though

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.