-July 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Stalling, rough idle, jerks while driving

gingerlygingergingerlyginger Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
I have recently noticed my car will stall when I try to turn it on. It does not do it all the time but when it does, it takes 2 or 3 times to get it to turn on. It also idles very rough and it jerks while I'm driving. It feels almost like a dead miss(just had a tune up, BUT my plugs are not double platinum) a local mechanic suggested I get my throttle body cleaned because he could not find a thing wrong with it. Said plugs were still good, intake gasket looked good, checked my battery, starter and my pressure pumps. I got my throttle body cleaned and no luck. Any advice?

Answers

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

Did you get a tankfull of bad gas?

• Options
    I always get gas at Kroger. I never thought of that. I will try getting gas somewhere to see if it helps the jerking and rough idling. The stalling has been going on for over 6 months.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Oh- if it has been going on that long, it is unlikely to be your fuel.

From your description, it sounds like either ignition or fuel-injection. However, you suggest that your mechanic has looked at both of these areas. It could be something as esoteric as poor power-conneciton to the onboard computer or crankshaft-sensor.

Are you seeing any CEL (Check Engine Lite) ?

• Options
    Even though he checked the fuel pump pressure, does that sound like a pump going bad?
  • Options

@gingerlyginger said:
    Even though he checked the fuel pump pressure, does that sound like a pump going bad?

My experience with fuel-pump is usually GOOD -or- BAD. Rarely, a fuel-pump can become weak but this usually shows up as stumbling at highway speeds.

• Options

With many cars, a mechanic can hook-up a computer and DRIVE it until the problem shows up. The computer will 'capture' the failing component on disc so it can be 'played back' to see it happen.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I will call tomorrow to make sure he checked my pump pressure. He did get it to surge/jerk for him. After he cleaned my throttle body, he could not get it to do it again. It normally happens at lower speeds and I will lose power going up hill