Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Extended warranty questions

jjv55jjv55 Member Posts: 20
edited April 2014 in Toyota

I'm looking at a 2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited with around 60k miles on it. Per carfax, the battery was replaced in 2010. We'll drive an above average 18k miles/yr.

Do you believe an extended warranty makes sense? I saw there might be a 125k mile option...

Regarding prices...

I've read through several forums regarding Toyota's newer interstate warranty sales policy, so it seems that the Kansas (Jerry) connection has closed.

Has anyone had success at an Illinois dealer in getting a good price? Is there anywhere online to see an average cost for the Plantinum plan?

Thanks!!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I'm assuming you're talking about the hybrid battery, and not the typical 12v battery (I guess Carfax could report on those but a 12v battery replacement seems trivial).

Back to your question, I don't believe in extended warranties and I'm driving a miled up minivan that's had a few issues lately. Even after a recent tow, some exhaust work and a fuel injector , I'm still only out about $600 in the last six months. About two car payments in other words, and most months I don't spend anything on maintenance.

Some people sleep better with this kind of insurance though, and there's no denying that stuff, especially electrical accessories, are expensive to fix. I think it's good that you are focusing on the Toyota backed warranty and not some third party one, but I'd want to read the fine print closely to see what's excluded.

• jjv55jjv55 Member Posts: 20

Just had to have some suspension work done on my Pilot. $900 repair, fully covered by my ext warranty. I am in favor of them, but not for a crazy cost.

You touched on something that I forgot to put in my original post.

How does the "standard" warranty cover the hybrid system?

Also, I'm buying (potentially) from a third party dealer. Will Toyota still sell me a warranty?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2014

Good question - you're back to having to read the fine print about the hybrid components.

And unless someone else knows, you'll have to ask a local dealer if you can buy one if "Jerry" can't sell them online anymore.