Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    Yes! Thank you for the tip! **I already know that when you trial then you need to increase psi but not sure on normal ride***. That's why I mentioned about testing the psi on my tires right now! So far I have not see any different in gas mileage yet! I will continue to do the testing.
  • Options
    guyf1guyf1 Member Posts: 50
    I run 110 psi on my road racing bicycle. I use 1 litre of Gatorade per 35 km.

I run 35 psi on my mountain bike. I use 1 liter of Gatorade per 20 Km.

I run 30 Psi on my Santa Fe, I use 1 liter of gas per 8 km.

This demonstrates that your consumption goes up with reduced tire pressure.

BTW Tincup, I'm also from the auto industry; on the commercial vehicle side however...
  • Options
    jgibson24jgibson24 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had this light up and what was needed to fix the issue? My Sante Fe will be going into the dealer early next week and I was curious as to what it might end up being.
  • Options
    billtungbilltung Member Posts: 255
    Don't worry, be happy!

The computer diagnostic will tell you later. I think what u can do now is first check your gas cap, fill with high Octane gas only & avoid running at high speed in highway.

Hope the MI light comes off by itself!
  • Options
    psamuellpsamuell Member Posts: 1
    I have searched the board for other Santa Fe owners experiencing wind noise over 40 mph but haven't seen any solutions.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've taken off the roof rack rails, taped up around the mirrors... but no luck. Could be the seal around the window but dealer doesn't know. Help!
  • Options
    Not sure; Where did you heard of the wind noise coming from? Unless you are driving at the windy day then you heard of wind noise. Probably the rubber on the driver or front passenger was not too tight. Have you try to close the window all the way up? I think is probably the rubber at the window that causing the wind noise. The dealer can fix it easily...
  • Options
    guyf1guyf1 Member Posts: 50
    No wind noise whatsoever on my SF. In fact it is the quietest of all SUV's (and most cars) I have driven.

Have your's checked by the dealer. Do you have any "add on's"???

Guy
  • Options
    pnw1pnw1 Member Posts: 11
    I had the "wind noise" on my SF driver's side only. I had them replace the drives side gaskets and seals, and it's now a quite as a mouse :)Force them to change them under warranty! It took me a week, but I'm much happier not being driven nuts by the noise.
  • Options
    leigh8leigh8 Member Posts: 14
    For the first time We are a little dismayed with our Santa Fe. The paint on the bumbers is peeling in a major way. The Hyundai service dept. says that Hyundai doesn't let their paint cure and that the body shop will sand down the bumpers and then repaint. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I read the other post on this subject and wonder if I should closely inspect all gray cladding. We just passed the 8500 miles and mnfg date is 11/00.

Any comments?
  • Options
    stormgmstormgm Member Posts: 1
    leigh8,
    My Santa Fe paint is also peeling but it is the lower body molding on the passenger side. My mom borrowed it to drive 600 round trip to visit my sister and pick up their used dishwasher. Don't ask me about the dishwasher. Anyway, she was nice enough to fill up the gas tank and wash it. She took it into an automatic carwash and selected the underbody spray as well. I don't take my Santa Fe into automatic car washes but she did and the underbody spray peeled the paint off the molding. Took it to my dealer and he said to bring it in the following week and he would sand it down and paint it. Went back and he said that his boss said that he had to order new molding, not sand/repaint. He told me to come back the following week for them to put it on. Oh what fun!!! I just passed 5600 miles and it was made 12/00. This has been the only problem so far. Nothing major but upsetting.
  • Options
    roadkill55roadkill55 Member Posts: 25
    The paint is also peeling on my SaFe. It is the molding just below the drive side door. I just assumed that it was from my rubbing the molding with my foot as I got out of the door causing the problem. Thus, operator error?!? But from the posts here I will ask the service department about it. It is due for an oil change anyway.
  • Options
    gperez1gperez1 Member Posts: 2
    When the air is on in my car, Every so often it smells like an egg/sulphur smell. It is not very pleasant. The dealership said they have never heard of that. Also I am not very impressed Goth my gas mileage either, I have 700 is. on the car, and I'm getting about 15 miles to the gallon. also have a rattle on the rear passenger side that I can't figure out. Love the car, but these things are a little annoying.
  • Options
    Read parkchester "Hyundai Santa Fe" Jan 30, 2001 9:13pm

The smell might be the protective rubber burning, it took 1 month for my SF to completely smell free! Be patience!
  • Options
    agent50agent50 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased Santa Fe GLS FWD. Has less than 1000 miles. Only problem is faint metallic ringing sound which is heard after reaching aprox. 35 mph. This sound seems to be coming from outside vehicle and does not go away when shifted into netural. Cannot be heard with radio on ,but is annoying because otherwise such a quiet vehicle. If anyone else has experienced this, or has any ideas , please let me know.
  • Options
    roadkill55roadkill55 Member Posts: 25
    I took my SaFe to the dealer this morning. They looked at where the paint has peeled off. They will have the Regional Rep look at it the next time he visits the dealership. To be honest though. It is really not peeling but chipping. It seems that when I get in the car my foot must brush up against the molding under the door. This has caused the paint to come off under the driver side door. There are also a couple very small spots on the passenger side. Hopefully they will help me with this. Even with this being the cause, it should not occur on a 6 month old vehicle. If they fix it then I may look into getting the 3M film that I have read about in past postings. I would not need much of it and it would protect the molding from chipping again.
  • Options
    gperez1gperez1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the car over a month now, The smell of egg and sulphur is quite embarassing when people are in the car with you. It smells like someone is in serious distress. I am finding now that is actually making me feel nauseous and lightheaded. When you stand outside the car you can smell it coming out of the exhaust. Please HELP if youcan. Any ideas are suggestions would be appreciated. The dealer is baffled.
  • Options
    nonstopjeffnonstopjeff Member Posts: 11
    Hi George, I`m from New Orleans also.
    (Chalmette) I live in Mississippi now, I also
    bought my SF here in Ms. I go back and forth there every weekend. To me your problem sounds like it is your cadalac converter. I had a Grand Prix and it had the same smell similar to what your are saying and that was the problem. If you have no luck with the dealership in LA. YOu may want to contact Felix at the Jackson Ms. dealership he is wonderful with working with problems.
  • Options
    linda66linda66 Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering purchasing a Santa Fe. After looking at this message board I am concerned about the paint. I live near the ocean and am wondering if the paint problem will
    be accented due to the salt air. It is also windy at times and am wondering how the vehicle
    will hold the road. Would appreciate comments from other Santa Fe owners.
  • Options
    gfred57gfred57 Member Posts: 3
    Well, took my Santa Fe in last week to have the power vacuum pump put on. Still made the awful vibration noise. Dealer had a Santa Fe demo, it did the same thing but not as bad. They even called the Regional Techs twice to see what to do. They tied together hoses to see if that would help. It did not. The vibration is now going into the steering column. My husband said it might be the transmission. I called Hyundai and asked to talk to the CEO. Wouldn't you figure, he was in a meeting and I was transferred to the VP of Public Affairs. The Santa Fe is a good vehicle. We have looked at others and this is the only one we have found that we like. I told Hyundai one more time in the shop and they either give me another one or give my money back. They have until 6/12 to call me back. If other Santa Fe's are doing this, I do not want a replacement. I told them they need to get an engineer and pull someone off of the factory line to find out what is causing this. I also informed them that the paint is coming off. Has anyone heard of the 2002 Santa Fe HMC or HMD? There is a site out on Edmunds for 2002 Santa Fe HMC review. Went to the Hyundai website, but not out there. If they keep making this vehicle, they better work out the bugs in the motor and the paint for sure!
  • Options
    smell:
    The smell will go away when you reached about 1000+ miles. Most of the Import car have the same problem and I believed all Santa Fe have the same smell at the beginning even mine. **Be patience because it will go away**

Salt Water:
    I lived in San Francisco and parked at about 1/4 miles away from the beach every weekdays at work. If you really concern then all the people in San Francisco would have complaint already. You basically need to put wax and clean the car very often to keep a good condition.

noise and paint:
    This is just happen on a small percentage of car. I don't have the paint and the noise happen on my Santa Fe at all. I believed it does not happen on most of other Santa Fe owners as well.
  • Options
    scout19scout19 Member Posts: 13
    My vehicle also has that annoying tin can flutter-1&2nd gear up to 3,500 rpm Dealer just installed new timing belt & new cover plate to stop rough idle caused by timing gear jump. Are now trouble shooting that weird tin can engine noise----- Your Not Alone.
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    The smell of sulphur from your exhaust is NOT NORMAL!! This is caused by an incorrect fuel mixture being determined by the EFI. One typical cause is the oxygen sensor, but there are many factors and inputs to the EFI. With the assistance of an Exhaust Gas Analyzer (EGA) machine, the mechanic would know immediately that something is wrong!
  • Options
    rbnatorrbnator Member Posts: 14
    I think I started the discussion re: paint peeling. Like I said, the area rep authorized the repair under warrenty. It took about two full days and the cladding looks brand new. I am glad I had it done. Can someone repost the info regarding the 3M product. It may be something worth considering. Thanks.
  • Options
    Just returned from the dealer,still have the rough idle and miss, on further inspection, Seems when the exhaust timing gear jumped 3 teeth this caused internal problems,I was told on all 4 exhaust valve ports pressure was 30% 15% 25% 20% out of normal paramaters.A new engine will be pulled from the assembly line and shipped to the Dealer. This engine will have all the latest engineering changes, service bulletins. This first 7'500 miles has been anything put pleasant.
  • Options
    tonyg6tonyg6 Member Posts: 48
    scout19,

When you mention the "tin can engine noise", is it only when it's idling or even when running in gear. I'm curious since I have a 4cyl too!

And, in reference to the noise, is it more like valves tapping or a diesel engine like sound?
  • Options
    Tonyg6--The problem is exhaust valve timing gear jumps out by three or more teeth,-Noisy, poor fuel mileage and lack of power,and at worse case internal damage. My problem was at the 3'500 mile check up the timing was re-adjusted and at 7'500 mile it was found to be out by three teeth again.---- I've complained about a constant miss at idle a week or so after I got this thing..... Anyway the noise it was starting to sound like a diesel , a sheet metal ringing flutter . turned out to be in the area of timing belt cover. The dealer put on the new timing belt cover along with a new timing belt, "No help" damage is already done. A new engine is on It's way from Korea.---- There is a engineering change on the timing belt cover, there is a additional area incorporated to help with the belt tentioner to keep the belt snug. Ask your dealer when can he get you in the shop to comply with the service bulletin, let him know that you know about the problem.. Good Luck.......
  • Options
    Thanks for the info scout19,
    One final question...

In your post #77, you suggested the dealer "comply with the service bulletin". Where can I get this service bulletin and what exactly does it suggest they do?

In your case you will be getting a new engine. I guess the damage was too extensive for repair on your car.

But are you saying this potential problem can be fixed/prevented if fixed early on?

PS: Can you still drive your car or did you get a loaner?
  • Options
    My auto has been in the shop from last wed, this is the second time in for the same problem. The first time it was in 11 days . I was always given a loaner.In regards to other 4 cylinder Santa he's, I don't know, but the Engineers have a fix ------- (is it a good one)??? If you get the Service Bulletin complied with before any problems or damage you might be fine and never have another problem. Have it done now. Print copys of this and anything else in the owners club in regards to this problem and show them. good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion on preventative maintenance.

Would you by any chance know the #/name of the service bulletin?

I would like to go to the dealer with something a little more concrete so I don't get the runaround.
  • Options
    jeff3582jeff3582 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone figured out what the sulfer smell is yet? I don't smell it all the time but boy when you do it is a nasty smell. I had a beck of a time convincing my niece and nephew that I didn't pass gas.
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Is a byproduct of an incomplete combustion cycle. The smell is produced in the catalytic converter when unburnt fuel is ignited by the hot CC. It can be a sympton of a variety of problems, including a damaged/blocked catalytic converter or a problem with the timing. You can also produce the smell by doing alot of full throttle starts during stop and go city driving. This dumps alot of fuel into the engine, some of which passes through to the cat.

You could have a problem. Take it back to the dealer have have them check out the vehicle.
  • Options
    jilld725jilld725 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my Santa Fe yesterday and drove it home 40 miles from the dealer. When it gets over 45 mph, there is a hurricane of wind noise humming on the passenger side. Yes, the windows were all the way up and the doors were securely closed. Anybody else have this problem? I don't feel like driving 40 miles back to the dealer today, but I guess I might have to.....Also, if you are looking for a dealer with alot of Santa Fes in stock, Hampton Hyundai in Fort Walton Beach Florida has many. They were good on the price too!
  • Options
    Pls don't try to scare those new SF owners! All u posted here is just GUESSING, U don't own any SF, do you?
    I owned the SF, & I've the similar experience, the smell will disappeared after a month/longer depend on how many milage you've droven, I know it is very stinky smell, but let face it, if u want the SF! Hope Hyundai will improve this problem in the near future!

With the good warranty in mind, I think if the smell still exist after 5000km then is the time to report to the dealer. Good luck!
  • Options
    peytonroadpeytonroad Member Posts: 27
    I have the smell problem as well, but I have just passed the 1100 mile mark on my car (have had a month and half) and I am noticing the smell less and less. It used to be quite pungent. Now it is only once in a while and the smell is not as powerful at all.

liz
  • Options
    tonyg6- No problem in regards to the factory service letter to all other Hyundai dealers. When I get to the dealer on Monday I will see what I can do, I want a copy for my records also. I understand the engine of the 2002 4-cylinder has other changes --- larger intake as well as exhaust timing gears,this will tighten up the timing belt and prevent it from jumping time.-Talk to you later
  • Options
    lesteryeonglesteryeong Member Posts: 4
    Hi to all

Anyone has a better solution to the fender flares and side claddings just being taped onto the body by double sided tape has a better idea to make sure itt doesn't come off. The mechanics here say they can only use tape!

With regards

Lester
  • Options
    mlwcpamlwcpa Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Santa Fe since last October and now have almost 9,000 miles. I have had the following maintenance problems. 1. I live in colder climate and last winter, the door locks froze up quite a few times. It was difficult for this 250 pounder to crawl over from the passenger side. 2. I had a rubbing noise in the back end and was able to get rid of it by going very slowly with the parking brake on. I was told by the dealer that the brakes aren't adjusted correctly when they come off the trucks. 3. I had a sensor in the timing mechanism go bad resulting in dangerous driving...sluggishness, learching, dieing, etc. It was replaced and it is fine now. Got a loaner, all covered by warranty. 4. One of the headlights was defective and had to be replaced. 5. I just noticed a cover on the luggage rack has come off, maybe in a car wash. I will need to replace that. But, it sure looks good!
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    I'm not trying to scare anyone, just recommending that they have their vehicle checked out if they are not sure there if there is a problem. Protective coatings smell sickly sweet when they burn off (a burning rubber smell, bad, but different from a sulfur smell).

Bottom line, if you are not sure if something is normal, have the dealer look at it. That is why they have factory trained technicians and access to corporate engineers. I'm sure Hyundai is keeping a close eye out for any potential problems so they can correct them asap.

I will always advise anyone with a new vehicle (of any make or model) to check back with the dealer if they have any questions or problems, no matter how slight. This serves two purposes:
    1. Gives the owner piece of mind if nothing is wrong, or fixes a problem if it does exist.
    2. Allows the vehicle owner to get a feel for how good (or bad) the dealer's service department may be.
    For example, if you got to dealer A and get treated poorly, you come here to the boards and tell everyone that dealer A is a jerk. Another poster to the board tells you to try dealer B, since he had good service there. Bad dealers are identified and avoided and good dealers are identified.

I'm sorry if you, Bill, feel I am doing a disservice to any Santa Fe owner. I try to offer only honest, non-biased advice.

Good Day all
    Rob
  • Options
    suxmansuxman Member Posts: 3
    I am a new owner of 2001 manta DE DX 6 cylinder, Pewter and has it all except AS Brakes and a Heated Seat. I've been filling my tank up with
    a 93 High Octane gas, and noticed that my Engine
    Malfunction Light/Engine Check light came on. Since I hadn't bought a new car in about 9 years,
    I thought 93 Octane would be "good" for the
    vehicle. Not so says the dealer. Tom Hyundai of
    Nor wood Massachusetts who recommends 87 Octane.

They say to turn your gas cap around 4 times to
    tighten it, and to bring in the car for a checkup
    for the light. I have 1,200 miles on it. They
    say there is a very minor chance anything could be
    wrong with the vehicle other than changing to 87
    octane and tightening the fuel cap. Thursday I bring it in.

I love the vehicle... rides like a dream... smooth
    and quiet. Very happy with it so far.
    -Arthur
  • Options
    suxmansuxman Member Posts: 3
    I brought my Santa Fe in to Tom Hyundai in
    Norwood Massachusetts to see why the Engine
    Malfuncion Switch or Engine Check Light kept
    turning on. After a 2 hour wait in the waiting
    room, I learned that the Fuel Pressure Switch
    was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. I
    have 1300 miles on the Santa Fe, the car runs
    fine...and it's covered by the warranty. I have
    to wait for a couple of days before the switch
    arrives from New Jersey, and then it can be
    installed. So I have another appointment with the
    dealer next week.
    -Arthur
  • Options
    gfred57gfred57 Member Posts: 3
    Took my Santa Fe in on Tuesday - 6/19. Regional Mgr was in. Told him this was the 4th time. Kansas Lemon Law I believe is 4 times in the shop for the same thing or out of commission for 30 days straight. They ordered some type of power lines or something. I called today and they were to receive the parts today. I asked the service tech when it would be done, he said he was told to keep it there until it gets fixed. Great, I am driving a rental car that the dealership is paying for and what a piece of junk. The driver's window will not roll down. If I have to keep it beyond tomorrow - Friday, June 22, I am going to get another vehicle. Anyway, I asked the Service Mgr what would happen if the problem did not get fixed and he said he would cross that bridge when he gets there. They are repainting my back bumper, the left side and the rear view mirror on the right side. Have a white with silver trim GLS. We will wait and see if it is fixed tomorrow and if the noise is still present. I have about 8,500 miles on it. The rep said that the other Santa Fe's have a little bit of vibration in all of them, but not as bad as mine. They are just guessing what is wrong!
  • Options
    billbo1970billbo1970 Member Posts: 76
    I too had a timing problem. My belt had only jumped 1 tooth though, and my problems were intermittant. I waited until it was oil change time to bring it in. The problem started at around 1000 miles. It would OCASSIONALLY idle rough when stopped at a light, it would OCASSIONALLY not shift properly, and my gas mileage dropped. When I brought it in for an oil change this week, I informed them of these problems. They found the belt to have jumped 1 tooth. They fixed that, and replaced the cover with the new one. Now it runs smooth as silk. I have not had any problems at all with smell or noise. I'm definately happy with my purchase.

To all of you scanning this board to check out the problems before you decide on a purchase.......... This truck has been on the road since October... that's nearly 9 months. And, it has sold VERY VERY VERY well. For there to be only 92 posts on this board... and most of them are not posts stating problems, but trying to help others..... that is PHENOMENAL... especially for a 1st generation vehicle!! Jump off the fence and buy one!
  • Options
    billbo1970billbo1970 Member Posts: 76
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

that's a link to the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations page to search for vehicle service bulletins. The Santa Fe comes up with 18 bulletins, but none of them are problem reports... they were mostly relating to errors in the service manual & testing procedures. I typed in another vehicle (a closer competitor to the santa fe) and came back with 20 bulletins, serveral of which were SERIOUS problems.

• Options
    nikaynikay Member Posts: 3
    I bought Santa Fe several months ago and I am completely satisfied with the car. However, I have a question about KUMHO tires (SF was originally supplied with them). Since I have never heard of this brand before I would like to know if they are a good choice or should I replace them? Thanks.
  • Options
    bfh1bfh1 Member Posts: 14
    it has been 3 months since i ordered paint for my santa fe. 4 phone calls later, they called back yesterday to tell me about a "national back order"
    on touch-up paint, so I should have sometime around September.Anyone else having a problem with paint?
  • Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    You may find it difficult to get a response to your problem here at Edmunds. There seems to be a bit of a conspiracy to keep "problem" posts to a minimum for the Sante Fe. Good Luck.
  • Options
    I've noticed that, however I feel like this is my dealership jerking me around.
  • Options
    sandyscarsandyscar Member Posts: 3
    I needed "warm gray" touch up paint for my cladding and here in the SF Bay area, they got it for me in about a week. Good luck.
  • Options
    i need merlot touch up for a little key nick in my door.-any oneline places to try?
  • Options
    wshadow2wshadow2 Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing small paint chipping on my rocker panel under the driver's door. Would like the name of a dealer, preferably in the Chicagoland area, who has repaired same on a warranty basis. Will be taking my car in next week and would like to have this info as ammunition. Thanks

This is the only problem in 9500 miles---I love this vehicle.