Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

97 Altima Check Engine Light

jpjwku79jpjwku79 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Nissan
Can anyone tell me how to check codes on an Altima for the check engine light and airbag light?

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    But the 97 is OBD2 and requires a scanner to pull the codes.

As for the airbag codes, I doubt you find very much info on the internet on the codes, the SRS system is a very touchy subject and very few mechanics want the liability of offering advice on them.

To give you an idea about the airbags, here is a little article on them. You aren't really gonna try to repair the airbag, are you?
  • Options
    steven38steven38 Member Posts: 11
    I have just become a new member and have had se veral "check engine" episodes with my 97 Altima. Purchase a Haynes or a Chilton manual and follow the instructions on retrieving engine trouble diagnostic codes in the "emissions" chapter. It's really quite simple. These manuals can be purchased for $15-$20.No need for expensive dealer or shop procedure via plugging into their system!Any further questions or details I might be able to provide,I'd be happy to oblige.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Nissan code retrieval

This page will direct you thru pulling the trouble codes from the MIL.
This discussion has been closed.