Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee radio problems

midamida Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Jeep

We have a 2000 grand jeep cheroke V8 and the radio works on and off. There is power getting to the stereo unit, I can change the input, but no sound. Every once in a while, after the jeep has been on for a while, I can turn up the volume and all of a sudden, there is a noise and the radio will work.
Any ideas?

Comments

• lacconelaccone Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem and after reading all this stuff just figured I'd have to buy a new unit. But one day I noticed that it was taking longer and longer for the vehicle to turn over on the start up. So I turned off some of the bells a whistles that come on during start up such as the seat adjusting it self etc. I did this in order to conserve the battery life figuring that all this junk was killing my battery. Then one day the wife took the vehicle to the store when she tried to come home it would not start so she had it jumped started and while she waited for the jump start she bought a new battery for the vehicle. The next day I installed the battery and guess what to my surprise the radio was working again and everything else. that stopped working was working again. I believe that as the battery starts to die there is some sort of memory thing going on the it start shutting thing down because it does not have the energy to keep them going. When the battery was replaced there was enough energy now to keep all effected things going and the problem fixed itself. Had I not noticed the vehicle was getting harder and harder to start I would have never picked up on this it is very subtle. Now when I see things starting to shut down as you might say I am going to replace the battery and see if that fixes the problem again. And if you think about it, it all makes sense because similar things happens to computers. I even had a Buick that one day there was not enough energy to keep the ecm working so the car would shut down. But when checking everything seemed to check out there was 12 volts at the battery, the alternator was charging but the car would not stay running. So I took a chance and replaced the batter and presto the damn thing was fixed. I believe the jeep is the same problem with all it's electronics. And guess what Jeep claim they don't know whats causing it. What a scam to make money people bring there vehicle in they throw a charge on it and it's fixed then they tell you they had to do this and that etc. after the third attempt they finally replace your battery and the thing is fixed. You might want to just replace your car battery like I did. I know it seems far fetched but that is all it took to get my stuff working right and no problem. My symptoms were the volume on the radio would not work on just the FM side it worked fine on the Am and CD and the nav worked also, Then you couldn't get channels on either an or fm the cd was working fine the nav was as well. What I am trying to tell you it was slowly shutting itself down and then I noticed the hard starting when I say hard starting I mean with the flip of the key she used to start right up but then it would take two revaluation to start then three revaluation to start that is when I shut the bells and whistles off. This all took place over a couple of months. When the wife couldn't get it to start at all triple AAA came and jumped started it so she could drive it home that is when she bought the battery and every thing worked fine. I believe if we did not buy a new battery that eventually it would have had a hard time to keep running like the old Buick. Believe you me this thing is a lot more involved with electronics then the Buick ever was. I hope this helps you and others. Whats the cost of replacing the battery $150.00 and then no more problem.
  • rugy1953rugy1953 Member Posts: 4
    I had the exact same problem, with the radio as you experienced. And all I did was disconnect the battery (as you did every time you changed batteries) amd waited 10-15 minutes. Then I reconnected the battery and everything worked like new. I think it is a computer problem, with all the electronics today, it just needs a reboot.