2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue Owners Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• Options
    vealboyvealboy Member Posts: 10
    I bought my dark blue 2000 GX w gold trim in March of 2003 with only 13,000 miles, and only one previous owner (thanks CARFAX.COM)

I have really enjoyed the car, but it seems like I am always putting money into it, which irritates me. I just took a trip to Charlotte, NC from Cleveland, OH and the car was great, I know it will be better when I put new tires on it tomorrow. The car has about 46k miles on it now.

• Options
    99olds99olds Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm new to this web site. I just Googled "Intrigue owners club" to see what would come up. I was curious to see if the Intrigue had any fans, I just turned 159,000 in my 99 model. It's the best car I've ever had and it handles great on Alaska's icy road conditions, especially with a set of Finnish Nokians on it. I wore those out in three seasons (I'm a commuter, 25k miles a year) and I'm back in a more conventional set of Cooper tires. I think I can take her to 200,000, but will be sorry to see her go.

Jon
  • Options
    buntybunty Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody!
    Found this forum to be quite interesting. I have an Oldsmobile Intrigue 2000 GX with just over 100K miles on it. I am very happy with the way the car runs.

I have a question though...A few weeks ago the brake light, the seatbelt light, the battery light and a few others would come on automatically every once in a while. I got an oil change recently and had the mechanic take a look at it...and he said it could be a fault with the wiring or something. Overall I did not find his answer very convincing. Strangely though ....I dont see that problem now. Anybody had any similar experiences???

Bunty
  • Options
    crawdaddy753crawdaddy753 Member Posts: 9
    Bill B from NE FL.
    I got my Intrigue(It went over the 100K mile mark a couple of weeks ago) last year. I was originally going to get a Mitsubishi Diamante instead but I got the Intrigue since the M D was already gone by the time I was ready to purchase another vehicle. My Intrigue GLS is Pewter w\ the light tan seats. The 3.5L is engine is excellent. The Bose system is spectacular. The ride is excellent. The sunroof is great(no leaks as of yet). I have encountered 3 problems which I detailed in another post. I hope to hear from y'all as well.:D
  • Options
    mattcammmattcamm Member Posts: 2
    Hi Karen, I'm MattC. and I have a 98 Intrigue. I bought it with 110K miles and now 10K later I heard a heavy tapping noise from the engine and found out that the crankshaft/main bearings/rods are causing this. So far I spent 4500.00 dollars and a new Jasper engine is going to run me about 4300.00 dollars. The car is in decent shape and everything on it works, but I'm leary about dumping that kind of money into it.
    Any feedback is appreciated. MattC
  • Options
    mattcammmattcamm Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Intrigue. I bought it with 110K miles and now 10K later I heard a heavy tapping noise from the engine and found out that the crankshaft/main bearings/rods are causing this. So far I spent 4500.00 dollars and a new Jasper engine is going to run me about 4300.00 dollars. The car is in decent shape and everything on it works, but I'm leary about dumping that kind of money into it.
    Any feedback is appreciated. MattC
  • Options
    dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    The 3.8 in your car is usually very very reliable, with the exception of some had thermostat housing issues, and some crank sensors, but to wear out the crankshaft takes some doing. Anyway, you might be able to get a shop to swap with a junkyard motor (there are lots of 3.8's, look for sister cars like buick, Pontiac Gran Prix, etc ) for less money and maybe, given the reliability of this motor, be about as good as a Jasper for less dough.
  • Options
    calikevin87calikevin87 Member Posts: 1
    I bought mine two years ago Feb. 7th, 1998 3.8L with 70k miles, Bose AM/FM Stereo Cass/CD sound system, 12 disc factory changer, spoiler, sunroof, road lamps, and chrome wheels. I thought it was a good deal for $7000. Two years into it and just starting to notice some stuttering in the the engine, if the RPMs get too low, instead of downshifting it slips.
    View a quick album here http://images.igloos.ca/v/CaliKevin/mycar/
    I have since these pictures removed all noise dampening material, along with the "3800 Series II" Engine cover, added two chrome exhaust tips and put on a custom air filter. I ordered a GorillaChipz racing chip to hopefully gain some power. I also reached over 107k miles.

Anyone know what my car would be worth private party? I can't quite fine prices for one with all the same options as mine.
    Thanks

Kevin
  • Options
    dshuppdshupp Member Posts: 8
    Hi Karen, my names Dana. I'm a married father of 3 teenagers, my daughter and I bought a 2000 Intrigue a couple of months ago. She loves it! but recently she's been having her check engine light come on and now it won't start. I bought a hand held code reader and I'm getting codes for crankshaft and camshaft position sensor malfunctions. I did see some postings for this but now can't find them to join in.
    Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You can search all of the Intrigue discussions at the group level. Click on "Oldsmobile Intrigue" at the top of the page. Then enter the appropriate key words into "search Oldsmobile Intrigue".
  • Options
    str8talk83str8talk83 Member Posts: 1
    My name is Daniel Riggs, and I am new to "car space."I bought a 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX last August. It is red with grey cloth interior. Overall, I have found this to be a very good car. My biggest complaints are with the interior, which to me is made cheaply. I have had paint chip off of my stereo power button, and my door handles are loose. A little of this is probably from the previous owner. I take very good care of my vehicles, so the whole paint chipping thing was a bit annoying.

That being said, the driveability of the car outweighs the minor interior defects. I have found the 3.5L engine to be extremely smooth, although it seems to burn about a quart of oil between changes, which I find odd. I can't find a leak however. As long as I keep the oil level right, everything is great. Car lacks a bit in low end torque, but has a great punch over 3000 RPM's. The ride is a bit rough, but I prefer the sportier suspension and am willing to make the small sacrifice instead of having a car that rides like a Regal.

All in all, I like my intrigue and plan on keeping it as long as I can.
  • Options
    01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Daniel,

Our family has two 2001 Intrigues, a loaded GLS (mine) and a minimal GX (my 17-yr-old's). It is amazing at the differences the two cars have in trim level (GX AC/Heat controls seem really cheap compared to the automatic controls in the GLS) and the steering (GLS has the smoother MagnaSteer-II vs the Magnasteer in the GX). The traction control in the GLS costs about 10% in fuel economy (larger read-end ratio) vs the plain GX, so at least the GX gets better fuel economy. The one feature of the car that brought my 6'5" body into getting one is the front-seat legroom. My brother bought two Intrigues (one for him, one for his son) and now I have two as well.
    The aluminum engine block is the cause of the common oil burning. From what you'll read, you'll see that a quart every 3K miles is about right, if not low, and causes no real issues. So far, both of mine have avoided burning oil (GLS has 63K, GX has 78K). Remember that the strong 3.5L V6 can take up to 6.5 quarts when being changed. I usually add 6, but my mechanic had some (maybe a diff year) that took 6.5 qts. Make sure after you change it that you top it off just right.
    For tires, I've had good success with the Goodrich Traction T/A H series on the GLS. You can get them from Sams Club, TireRack.com and Sears. For the GX, the T-rated tires should work fine, and last a bit longer.
    When you notice problems, search the forums here. Most problems have been encountered before, and there are places to buy parts at lower costs out there on the net, and come people have documented solutions to problems you may find.
    A little background: my parents and my brother each have an Olds Silhouette, and we just got rid of our 2000 Silo in Sept2006 for an Odyssey. I guess we're just some olds-kinda-people (that's 6 Olds right now in the family). I may buy a post-2000 Aurora at some time in the future; they came with either the 3.5L V6 or the 4.0L V8, and I am told the V8 was problematic at times. Newer used Auroras don't cost that much more that the Intrigues, and sure look nice inside.
  • Options
    motorboy1motorboy1 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my Intrigue not downshifting and I have a code for a crankshaft position sensor. have you figured out the problem yet?
    Please email me at: ma.hastings@live.com
  • Options
    indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    01intrigue: It's kind of bazaar that my olds' are so close to yours. I'm on my second '02 Intrigue. My daughter totaled my first one about 17 months ago. I didn't plan to buy another one, but after a thorough search of the used car market, I didn't find anything as good as the Intrigue for the same money. I came across another '02 from a private owner. It was nearly identical to my first one, except a different color. It has the exact same features, GLS with precision sport pkg. The only down side is the 2nd one is not quite as "perfect" as the first one. In your message I think you were referring to PCS rather than traction control, as the basic traction control has no adverse effect on fuel economy.

Another reason I bought the second one was how well it survived the crash. It did $9000 damage to the front end, but it still ran and drove fine after my daughter hit a tree at 40 mph. Also, she walked away with just a small bruise from the seat belt/airbag.

I also had a 2000 Silhouette, which I just traded in January. We bought a new Pontiac Torrent. My wife loves it. Personally, I prefer driving the Intrigue.
  • Options
    scooter23scooter23 Member Posts: 1
    I got my intrigue when I was 16 it is a 98 with a 3.8 The car was my aunts she got it new I saved for a car from the time I was 13 and my aunt was so proud that she told me if I saved enough money she would sell me the car. Well $4000 later my dad went halfs and I got her. She had 35000 miles here I am 8 years from then and we are now at 112000 miles I have had a few problems along the way but nothing that has stoped me from going were I was headed. My olds is still in good shape and I would not let it go for anything. :shades:
  • Options
    kizziekizzie Member Posts: 3
    What would cause the electric windows to fail, first on one window -- then when repaired, the other 3 failed! Now the car won't start! Could it all be related? This is
    a car that is literally driven by a little old lady (my Mom) with less than 25,000 original miles on it -- only drives to church and grocery store. She purchased it as a one owner used car from dealer with 13.500 original miles in 2003.

I hate to have her pay for each individual window motor if everything is related to a single possible electrical problem. Unfortunately, when the dealer's see her coming
    at 83 they tend to take advantage --and I live 600 miles away. If I can arm her with a few things to tell them to check, at least they might think they are dealing with someone who has access to knowledge! Thanks all who can help!
  • Options
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    First thing to check is the fuses for the window and the switch. My guess is the window regulator's may be bad. It is a very common repair on the Intrigues.

The "no start" could be related. There are a few things that can cause the starting issue. It could be a bad connection to the battery (could also cause the window issue); fuel pressure regulator; ignition switch; etc. The best thing you can do is have your mother find a good independent mechanic. One of her friends should be able to recommend one. None of these repairs has to be done at the dealership. Heck I changed my own ignition switch in a couple of hours.

Try to get more information from her regarding the starting issues. With more information, we can probably help her diagnose the problem better.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response! The only info I could get from my Mom regarding the starting issue on the car was that it started "like a champ" as it always does when she went to church, then later for the grocery store. She garaged the car when she
    got home, then the next day when she went out to take her dog to the vet, the car
    wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. She's never had a problem before -- and like
    I mentioned in my first post, hardly any miles on the car.

I've thought about making the drive down to try to jump the car for her myself, just to save her a few bucks and see if it might be a battery - but the problem with the windows, too made me wonder if it was all related somehow.

And of course the whole mess is complicated by the fact that she pulled straight in to a very small single car garage -- and we'll have to find some what to PUSH
    the car out to even get it in position to attempt to jump. No male family members or neighbors to help.

Do you think it's worth my trying to push it out to jump if I drive down? Or should I
    just tell Mom to have it towed? I'm guessing they'll have to push it out to tow it, too, since the car is nose in to the garage!

Well, I've probably told you more than you want to know and none of it is the kind of info you really need -- but I appreciate your help, anyway! Thanks
  • Options
    If she has AAA, I would use it. Also she HAS to have a nice neighbor who wouldn't mind jumping her car for her.

Since the "no-start" happened overnight, it could be the battery. A jump start will help reveal this, not unless the battery is completely dead and she needs a replacement. Also this is the easiest thing to check and cheapest to replace.

If this does not fix the problem, you are looking at a trip to a mechanic. Any independent mechanic will do.
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Make sure the car is in park or neutral.
  • Options
    cmbriancmbrian Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with my 2000. The oil is going through your engine because of piston ring problems. GM recommends that you get an engine flush. I found a simple economic solution. Add a bottle of Slick 50 add every oil change!
    Since I started using Slick 50, I don't use any oil between changes. Before that, I was going through one to two quarts of oil between changes.
    By the way, I don't work for Slick 50. I'm not sure if any other oil additives give the same results.
  • Options
    matt1985matt1985 Member Posts: 1
    My ABS light comes on when I hit a bump, and I lose my anti lock breaks and traction goes off. Does anybody know what could be causing this? Everyplace I call either wants me to buy a $200 code reading machine, or charge me up the wazoo to bring it in. It was alright until about a week ago, we got a big snow, and it went out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Matt
  • Options
    01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    I don't believe anything is wrong. My take is: the system sensed that it lost traction on one or more tires, so it thinks something is wrong. I've had this happen on my Intrigues and Silo as well. The only way to reset it is to restart the car. If there is no Service Vehicle Soon light on when you start the car, there is no code to read. I would not worry about it, except maybe take the bump a little slower. :)
  • Options
    My guess is one of the wheel sensors may have gotten hit during the snow storm When you go over a bump, the sensor momentarily disconnects and triggers the ABS light and Trac off (control by the same sensor). Just because the Service Engine soon light is not on does not mean there are no codes. You need a special scanner to read ABS codes, the $200 code reading machine.

Best thing to do is have all your wheel sensors checked. Unfortunately if one needs replacing, you either have to do a makeshift repair or buy an entire wheel hub assembly. They don't sell the sensor separately for this vehicle. If this is not the problem, then you'll have to investigate further.

If you're handy and have the tools, it is a repair you can do yourself.
  • Options
    christauphchristauph Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to Intrigue ownership! I just picked up a 2001 with 125k miles. I've always liked these cars ever since driving a new '98 as a rental. I have to say that the 3.5L DOHC is much more satisfying than the 3800 in the rental. Granted, that was 11 years ago, but my last car was a 97 Lesabre with the same engine, and it didn't have the sweet sound or high-revving ability that the 3.5 has.

The car had bad, mismatched tires (make the loud, droning noise) and I decided to get some gun metal gray rims to with the new tires. With the Sterling Metallic paint, it looks great! Its much quieter now and handles great. Next up is some window tinting. The only other thing I've had to do to it was replace the original AC Delco battery and clean a TON of corrosion off the positive battery cable. I hear this was a common problem, and I'm surprised the OEM battery lasted this long. There is also a very slight noise from the steering when I take off after first starting the car. I did the Lithium grease to the ISS fix but it didn't seem to help. The car doesn't seem to have any of the other common problems I've read about, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I checked the repair history with the dealership in the town the original owner lived it, and it wasn't in for much besides routine maintenance. So far I'm loving it! Will report back with updates...
This discussion has been closed.