Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Bump in drivetrain, Toyota 4Runner

roddenrodden Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Toyota

I continually feel like someone has bumped into the back of my car when no one is behind me at stop signs and signals.
My four runner is a 2003 limited V8 automatics Has anyone discovered the fix for this problem In reading the post on the forums I am not sure if there is a fix.

Comments

• rcummelinrcummelin Posts: 184

What you describe is a well-known and well-documented problem with Gen 4 V8 4Runners and Lexus GX470 SUVs. Luckily, there is also a well-known fix too, but you may not like the cost. The problem is excessive play in the driveshaft splines--which means a totally new driveshaft for about $800. Lexus replaced the clunking GX driveshafts for free under warranty, but not Toyota. This isn't a safety issue, but a HUGE annoyance. There is a very temporary fix too. Just crawl underneath and liberally lube the splines with grease (using a grease gun--there is a zert on the splines) and the clunk will lessen for awhile--maybe as long as several weeks.