Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I think I have a fuel injector problem. Toyota Camry.

chief_keithchief_keith Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Toyota
Im having a little problem with my car and would like to hear if anyone can help. Every now and then my car will hesitate or putter and I think its a problem with the fuel injectors because I can put some Lucas fuel injector cleaner un my tank and it will go away, but only for about 1 month. Sometimes when I'm in the road and it starts happenings I will just floor my car and it stops. So, I'm thinking something lime dirt is getting clogged in my fuel injectors and when I floor the gas it pushes whatever dirt that is in the way away. It's a 93 Toyota camry with 200,000 miles, so I'm thinking about getting a full fuel injector cleanse. I've been reading on the internet about a fuel injector cleanse and sd ome people say it's a waste of money. Can someone please give me some advice on what I should do. I dont wanna get the fuel injector cleanse and waste my money, but I'm willing to spend the money if it will fix the problem.

Answers

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

HERE IS WHAT MIGHT BE HAPPENING;

FUEL INJECTION PRESSURE PROBLEMS

If fuel pressure reads low, or the engine seems to starve for fuel under load, don't overlook the fuel pickup filter inside the fuel tank as a possible cause. In many instances, the system may flow enough fuel at idle to develop normal pressure, but run out of fuel at higher speeds or loads. Rust, dirt and scum inside the tank may be blocking the flow of fuel into the pump. Likewise, accumulated dirt and debris may be clogging the inline filter.

Toyota says the best method for confirming a suspected fuel starvation problem is to road test the vehicle with a fuel pressure gauge safely installed on the engine. If the pressure reading drops when the engine is under load, it means the system isn't maintaining normal pressure. But is it the pump, filter or what?

You can rule out the pressure regulator if the system maintains normal pressure at idle, and the pressure rises when you disconnect the regulator's vacuum hose. No change in pressure would indicate a defective regulator or plugged vacuum line.

A good way to check out the pump, pickup filter and inline filter is to measure fuel delivery volume. Relieve system pressure, then disconnect the fuel supply line at the fuel filter or fuel rail, or disconnect the return hose from the rail. Place the open end of the fuel hose in a measuring cup or graduated cylinder. If you're disconnecting the return hose, you'll have to attach another piece of hose to the fuel rail and use that to route fuel into the container. With the engine off, use jumpers to bypass the pump relay. Energize the pump for 30 seconds and measure the volume of fuel delivered.

As a rule, a good pump should deliver about one quart of fuel in 30 seconds.

If a pump's output volume and/or pressure is low, the pump motor might be running slow due to internal wear. A typical fuel pump runs at 5,000 to 6,000 rpm and pulls about 3 to 6 amps. But as the armature brushes become worn and the brush springs weaken, increased resistance will reduce the pump's current draw and cause the motor to run slower causing it to deliver less fuel.

The pump motor can be checked using an ohmmeter to measure the motor's internal resistance. As a rule, most pumps should read 2 to 50 ohms if good. If the pump is open (reads infinity) or shows zero resistance (shorted), the motor is bad and the pump needs to be replaced.

Even if the pump motor is okay, fuel delivery problems can be caused by the pump's voltage supply. Low battery voltage, low system operating voltage, a poor ground connection or excessive resistance in the pump's wiring connectors or the relay can all have an adverse effect on the operating speed of the pump. The pump must have normal voltage to run at full speed, so always check the pump's wiring connectors and voltage supply when you encounter a pump with low pressure or volume output.

The pump's supply voltage should be within half a volt of normal battery voltage. If low, check the wiring connectors, relay and ground. A good connection should have less than a tenth of a volt drop (ideally no voltage drop) across it. A voltage drop of more than 0.4 volts can create enough resistance to cause a problem.

IF YOU CANT DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS FIND A CHEAP LOCAL MECHANIC TO PREFORM SOME TESTING.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• enekojojeenekojoje Member Posts: 1

I'm facing the same problem. Despite the fact I changed my fuel pump the problem continued. later, my mechanic serviced the nozzles, the problem stopped for a week and started again.