Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Silverado with 5.3 what catback is right

obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
If so, I wouldn't buy neither. Check this site out. Of everyone who posts that bought one....there has been NO unsatisfied customers.

http://www.pvmufflers.com/id5.htm

Comments

• cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    get rid of that too, then you'll get some power!
  • eater_33062eater_33062 Member Posts: 34
    I HAVE A 2000 MC SIERRA RE CAB SHORT BOX 4X4 5.3 FIND THE GIBSON CAT BACK
    STAINLESS SYSTEM GREAT & MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE ALL AROUND .AND THE PRICE IS CHEAPER THAN THE ONES MENTIONED, HAS LIFETIME WARRANTY ALSO! L..H.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    ...but no application for 5.3 RC LB.
    ERIK, TRY 1999, 2000 MODEL HAD TO USE 1999 YEAR ONE ON MY 2000 SHORT BED REG CAB THE #FOR THIS MODEL IS 615522 3IN. SINGLE STAINLESS EXHAUST FOR 1999 4.8 -5.3L SAME FIT AS ORIGINAL. GIBSON SHOULD HAVE WHAT YOU WANT CAUSE IT JUST MEANS CHANGE OF INTERMEDIATE PIPE.HOPE THIS HELPS. I THINK THEY HAVE AN 800#. REGARDS L.H.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    I can find lots of short bed applications. 30 years ago regular cab long beds ruled; today they are the [non-permissible content removed] stepchild. I'll probably just go with a local custom install. Since I have a catalytic converter on each side I think I'll go with dual pipes out the rear. Now all I need to do is decide on mufflers that make a mellow sound and don't cost me any HP or torque anywhere on the power curve. I'll also need to find out what diameter pipe to use. I'd rather go to the muffler shop forwarned rather than find out they used the wrong diameter after it's installed! Thanks for the info.

Erik
    ERIK, GIBSON STD. CAB LONG BED IS AVAILABLE. 1500/&2500 MODELS 2 & 4X4 LISTED AS 99 /01 3 INCH FULL. FOR 4.3/4.8/5.3 ENGINES THEY HAVE MANY APPLICATIONS THIS ONE I HAVE IS SINGLE 3 INCH FULL CAT BACK .YOUR # WOULD BE 315520 FOR ALUMINUMIZED, & 615520 FOR STAINLESS STEEL. BELIEVE ME THIS SYSTEM WORKS REAL GOOD!!!!!! YOUCAN PICK OUT WHAT TYPE YOU WANT FROM THE GIBSON PEOPLE. # IS 1-800-528-3044. I RUN SINGLE 3 IN. WHY HAVE A FAKE PIPE FOR THE EXHAUST TO GO OUT WHEN IT COMES FROM THE SAME MUFFLER? WASTE OF TIME ,MONEY & YOU DON'T GET ANY MORE POWER 3IN. IS MORE THAN SUFFICIENT REGARDS LIONEL.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Dual exhaust should not exceed 2.25". Even at that you will experience loss of lowend torque. More so with the Gibson. But then again, Gibson doesn't offer true duals. Only way is to custom with aftermarket mufflers. If it's resonance is too much, look into resonators to change the tune of the muffler.
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    whole route: Low restriction intake, headers, re-program of chip, higher PSI injectors or it won't run right. At least
    if you own a brand new Chevy with any VORTEC V8. Just check performance when stock and after upgrade. It may sound GREAT, nice deep rumble and all, but may be slower. All the people I know who put dual outlets got slower performance, especially on 5.3. I agree, go with 2.25, no more. I prefer FLOWMASTER myself.

Regards
    erik, I guess I forget to mention to you that my two vortex vehicles have some extra mods.the 1996 yukon St 350 has 3in. flow master cat back. one exhaust pipe. also has hypertech programer, power bullies, 160 degree stat, & k&n breathing system.it has 3.73 ratio &265/75/r 16 tires. my 2000 gmc sierra has stainless 3in. gibson cat back one pipe outlet, also power 160 degree stat,also has hypertech programer 3, & k&n system also. 3.73 limited slip &265/75/r 16 tires.neither trucks have duals. you have y pipes on both with converters so 3in. coming off after cat. works well don't let anyone fool you! you also don't have to worry about o2 sensors not reading one bank of your engine, when you go for diagnostics, your dealer or tech will get the whole story not just 4 cyls.i do agree that the xtra mods will help. the 3in. one outlet is as good as two 2.25 pipes & no o2 problems hope this helps!!! & as for lost power with the gibson, bull!! i have flomaster & gibson & both work equally well . i have living proof in my garage, & spent a lot of hrs working for horsepower at the most economical price . as for the doubters, show me your tech licence, i can regards, lh. ps, as for the noise , that comes with horsepower remember the 60's factory stock vehicles. they had a fair bit of music. 426, 427, 454, boss302, 302 z's 440, 428, need i say more.
    Experience the loss of power by buying the Gibson. I could've given you mine for free...but was so pissed at the system, took my torch and cut it into little pieces after installing the new system.
    experience my a--!!!!! if it was that bad why didn't you return to gibson????? it did have warranty maybe you just got a dud it happens.you must have alot of money, to junk the system. most of us would have sent it back! hmm seems to be more involved here than meets the eye! wish i knew ,i would have taken it off your hands & made some money or got a new one sent to me from gibson. they are too big a company to want this negative press without being given a chance to respond. p.s. i have no connection to or with gibson at all nuff said i know what i know. i'm out of here, live long & prosper!!!!! l.h.
    I left the Gibson on my truck for far too long when searching for a replacement. Reason being...didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Sure enough, there are other catbacks out there that reproduce the same hp gains as Gibson along with the resonance.

Regarding turning it back to Gibson, the freight alone would've cost me over $125.00 making it not worth the time. And who would want a used system for that amount? Cutting into pieces resulted in far more satisfaction that attempting to return for refund which would have netted me about $150.00.

When you've installed a different catback, you will realize how much you've actually paid to lose performance.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I think that Borla Exaust is by far the best. Excellent Sound, look, HP, torque, ect.

A little bit pricy, but it is the cadalac.

Hunter
    Now what is that supposed to be? Something like the Aztech?

Exhaust...check here

http://www.bbtriflo.com/

or here:

http://www.pvmufflers.com

hello jared,i think what you said is also true there are so many out there but i think they all do the job. some a little better maybe, who really knows without your own dyno.as for OBYONE i think he has been wearing grass skirts far too long, & can't or won't read what was said before about this matter .he should read ALL of it ,if he can! have a good one, L.H. P.S. it looks like obyone likes to make fun of people. not good at all!!!!! lh.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I had a '99 GMC X-Cab with the 4.8 and started out with the same 50 series Flowmaster I has used on my previous trucks. But on the new LS1's (x-cabs) they create too much resonance inside the truck. So at Flowmaster's recommendation I switched to the 70 series. Not as loud as I would have liked but at least it was more enjoyable to drive and ride in. When it came time to do my new '2001 with 5.3 I called Flowmaster again. The catback system they sell uses the 70 series muffler with a resonator between it and the cat. Wanting a little more sound than the 70 I went with the 50 series muffler and a resonator. Sounds great inside and out. As for power it's really hard to tell without putting it on a dyno or a track before and after. It feels like it has more but that could just be because it sounds more powerful.
    BTW....when I was dissatisfied with the 50 on my '99, Flowmaster sent me the 70, charged it to my credit card, then removed the charge when they received the 50 back. I don't rememebr what the shipping was but it wasn't much. (through where I work)
    There was an independent test done by one of the truck mags where they installed and dyno'd after each upgrade. It confirmed my opinion of the Gibson. After installing the Gibson catback, there was a gain of 1-2 hp. With the HPIII programming installed, this increased to 4hp. They called it a success but anyone reading the article can figure it for themselves that both advertise in the mag. Sure wished I had kept the article, but in reality it doesn't matter whether you believe me or not. As far as making fun of people, only with a few and of course hunter98 is included.

Posted dyno results by manufacturer:

http://www.pvmufflers.com/id26.htm

http://www.bbtriflo.com/graph/truckgraph.jpg

now check Gibson's website, what does it show? Nothing to rate it across the powerband. Wonder why?

I was wondering how long it would take for you to start name calling.....who's the intelligent one...certainly not one that uses Gibson.

Good luck on this one now!!!
    you truly provide a good source of entertainment and for that I thank you.
    IS THE GRASS SKIRT ITCHY YOU STILL HAVEN'T TOLD ME YES OR NO ? ANY WAY ITS BEEN A BLAST YOU TAKE CARE, ALL IN JEST LH PS SAY HELLO TO DON HO FOR ME . OK JUST JOKING BE COOL ALL IS WELL REGARDS LH USE WATEVER MUSIC YOU WANT JUST AS LONG AS WE GO FAST & DRIVE SAFE OK LH.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Yes I can't spell Cadillac correctly ;)

I try and relax a little bit when I am online. Since it doesn't really matter much. Sometimes missspellings ;) can add to humor as well.

Good luck on this one now ;)

I am used to takin Oby's abuse anyways

Hunter
    Seeing that this topic is heading for the recycle bin. Y'all have fun now....
    oby,be careful you don't get caught in the shredder on the way to the bin, you'll have to buy a new wardrobe ha! ha! smile its not all bad you know that. lh hunter, yo spelling b fine wit me ok lh later guys lh
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    There are some holes where posts used to be... remember that this is supposed to be FUN. Try to avoid grabbing each other by the throat as much as you can.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News and Views Message Boards
    pf flyer, i think you're right, but Sometimes it is really hard . no disrespect intended it's hard to get things across at times. all in fun, except for a few chain pullers regards LH
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 21
    I thought about this for awhile, and came to the conclusion that I did not need a cat-back system, or dual exhaust. What I did was research what was going to be the best muffler for me. I decided on a Megaflow muffler. Since my exhaust system is already stainless, I decided to have the OEM muffler chopped and the new muffler and tip installed. I took it to a shop near work and had it done. Total cost was $157.00. Sounds great off the line without the resonance at cruise.
    I have also noted better throttle response and power (could be perceived). This has saved me some money to put into other items for the truck, such as bug shield, bed rail caps, etc. Just my $.02.

BTW, I have a 2001 LT 2WD 5.3/3.73 just broken in.
    Valky
    or whatever brand you now have. If you'd like an increase in hp or torque without dumping your current system, check here:

http://www.pvmufflers.com/id24.htm

some have already installed it and are impressed with the performance gained from the simple install. Especially on the lowend.

pacific-audio.com/performance/messages/106054.html
    pacific-audio.com/performance/messages/107446.html

Can be installed on a stock system.
This discussion has been closed.