Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Keep in mind the 2005 WRX also gets the same interior improvements. The Saabaru is only very slightly different, mostly the AWP on the wagon and the moonroof availability, plus warranty and free service. For a price, of course.

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you a few places to get em.

-mike
  • Options
    nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    I got a recall notice a few weeks ago about a clip for the intake cable driven by the cruise control computer. What it is, is there are two cables, one from the accelarator one from the cruise control. if you pull on one the other gets pulled along too but if there's nothing to take up the slack in the cable, the cable gets pushed out of its sitting position in the arced metal thing. I wish I knew the names for these parts. Anyway, all they do is put a tiny clip over the open cable to keep it from jutting out so it can't fall out of its track.
    Anyway the practical upshot is this: if you find that after you step on the gas hard, the engine doesn't go back down to idle, look under the hood, it's right on top center just in front of the intercooler you'll see a cable not sitting in its track in this curved metal thing. Put it back in it's track and you'll be fine. Go to the dealer and get the clip.
  • Options
    roc312roc312 Member Posts: 4
    Wagons are cool. An STI wagon would be confident, yet subtle. It would not attract unwanted attention like the "boy racer" STI sedan, and could "fly under the radar".
    The Legacy Wagon is a great car, but is bigger and heavier than the Impreza, and cannot be modified to the same extent. As a result, it will not perform at the same level.
  • Options
    The Legacy Wagon is a great car, but is bigger and heavier than the Impreza, and cannot be modified to the same extent. As a result, it will not perform at the same level.

Any particular basis for this line of reasoning??? I believe there is no need for an STi Wagon because of the new Legacy Wagon would be far more useful and can be modified to equal or better than a stock STi standards.

Essentially if you are street driving an STi wagon or a Legacy Wagon, you will out-drive the roads before running out of car, if you are racing on the track, you wouldn't use a wagon due to the extra weight of the hatch/glass/rigidity issues.

-mike
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
  • Options
    With the Legacy Wagon, I was under the impression that it was maybe 200 lbs. more than an Impressa wagon? If that? Not too bad.

Also, thought the 2.5T can be modified a great deal since it is basically a detuned STi engine.

Car and Driver just had an article on the Saabaru, and it was very favorable. It basically called it a more civilized WRX without loosing the fun factor. Also made a comment that the Saab might have another first in this new Millenium - winning some comparison tests.

- besides putting in more sound deadening material and many exterior body-pannel modifications, also put in stiffer springs and softer shocks. Put about 1.8 degrees of toe-in (I think that is what it said), and did another adjustment to the links and bushings. Was able to get a skid-pad rating of 0.86 gs with 215-45s and Potenza RE011 tires vs. 0.79-0.80 gs with the WRX wagon (this from Road and Track). Personally, think it has more to do with the wheel and tire set-up though.
  • Options
    yogi29035yogi29035 Member Posts: 16
    Saw my first 92X in person- they arrived at a local dealer's lot in the Boston area on Saturday, so if you want to check one out in person- they're there.

Having seen it in person, I wouldn't trade my 04 WRX, tho...no way. Standing there on the lot, and looking at the 92X, then you look around at the other cars on the lot, and being SAAB (you all know this...) they all look THE SAME. SAAB after SAAB, row after row.... they're like a little clone army. Nice looking clones, I admit, but clones nonetheless. If you want a car that has some individuality,some personality, you're way better off with the WRX.

SAAB should change its slogan from "The State of Independence" to "The State of Same-ness". Yuk.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    FitzMall in Frederick, MD has two.

Bob
  • Options
    Saab gets 17" rims standard, so they're lower profile tires, plus stickier summer treads, right?

Subaru sells BBS rims, but dealers usually stock other types of rims (cheaper, not forged).

-juice
  • Options
    17" rims are optional on the 9-2x.

Bob
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I believe on the Aero they are standard, the Linear gets 16in.
  • Options
    They're optional on both models. I picked up a 9-2x brochure the other day. BTW, C&D has a road test on the new 9-2x 5-speed, and it stickered over $31K!!!

Can you say L E G A C Y G T ?

Bob
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Are a niche market to end all niche markets except for exotics!

They need to take a page from their aircraft namesakes. Just send all the jobs over to the customer nation and someone outside Sweden may even want to buy your plane.And then make sure support comes from a big name. Thats what Saab AB have had to do to sell their Gripen fighter. First link up with big name, here, British Aerospace. Then promise 100% + industrial offsets to the customer. Only competition they have not won by this marketing approach is the Polish Air Force one, and thats because the US taxpayer is ultimately going to end up paying for all those F16s! Why do you think they are in Iraq?

Come to think of it, FHI has probably made more planes since WW2 than Saab.Though albeit mostly foreign designs under licence. Add up WW2 production from FHI predecessors and there are few companies still around who made as many as they did except for the real big names in aerospace.
  • Options
    0-60 could not match the WRX sedan, in fact it was way off.

-juice
  • Options
    0-60 for the Saabaru was 6.1 secs.

by comparison:

WRX Sedan, C&D 5.4 (comparison) and 5.9 (long-term)
    5.7 secs by MT and R&T.

WRX Wagon (R&T) - 5.8 secs manual, 6.7 secs auto.

Grip -
    CD
    17"
    Saabaru - 0.86 gs. 17" 215 RE011
    WRX Sedan - 0.83 gs., 17" 235 Kumos Esctas (or whatever they are called)

16"
    WRX Sedan - 0.82 gs (Comparison)
    WRX Sedan - 0.81 gs (long-term)

R&T - 17", 215 (Tire unknown, think it was a Bridgstone), BBS wheels
    WRX Sedan - 0.87 gs.
  • Options
    I guess we'd need more data points but 0-60 was their slowest ever for a manual tranny, if you looks at it that way.

Summer tires make the 2nd part no surprise.

-juice
  • Options
    Got the WRX wagon a couple of weeks ago- loving it, but has anyone else felt that it was a bit sticky shifting into 1st and reverse gears? Is it just MY WRX or is it just ME? (I'm late to the 04 WRX, so if this has been discussed before, I'll go dig it out-Thanks)
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    it won't go into first gear when you are rolling very easily, or sometimes at all, unless you double-clutch.

difficulty engaging the reverse idler is something that many manual transmissions have. the solution for all of them is to put it in first and creep forwardly just slightly, then engage reverse. sometimes you don't even have to move, just clutch 1st-> keep clutch down -> reverse

have fun with your new WRX!
    ~c
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Common complaint. Mine is only an issue when she's cold. On first start up in the morning, it's even sticky getting OUT of 1st. I always double clutch going to 1st or reverse and that makes a big difference in how smooth it is.

Nicholas
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I've had several cars that were occasionally balky going into reverse. The only thing I ever had to do was let out the clutch and put it back in and then it would go into reverse.

-Frank
  • Options
    When it is cold it is a little rougher. Over time the transition to first and reverse, and shifting in general gets smoother. Mine has.
  • Options
    Got it.. Many thanks, guys!
  • Options
    frogfrog Member Posts: 52
    the only nice ting about the saabaru is what was allready there in the first place. I would be pissed if I were Subaru and Saab came over to borrow my styling little wagon.. who cares if they share the same parents.. this is like first cousins getting it on> get a life Saab....... your premium is a joke and your face has become cliche in my books... peace out... F.
  • Options
    Grip -
    CD
    17"
    Saabaru - 0.86 gs. 17" 215 RE011
    WRX Sedan - 0.83 gs., 17" 235 Kumos Esctas (or whatever they are called)

16"
    WRX Sedan - 0.82 gs (Comparison)
    WRX Sedan - 0.81 gs (long-term)

R&T - 17", 215 (Tire unknown, think it was a Bridgstone), BBS wheels
    WRX Sedan - 0.87 gs.

Wow I think that the SVX in '92 pulled in like .92 or.95 on stock all season 16" tires.... Imagine what it could pull in on some grippy tires???? :)

-mike
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with them, if anything it will just mean more stuff will be available in the aftermarket for the Impreza line.

-mike
  • Options
    wow, I think you're mistaken about the SVX. :) it was .85G

~c
  • Options
    It would depend on the magazine that tested it and the road surface.

It's hard to compare these meaningfully unless you do it back-to-back.

-juice
  • Options
    It's hard to compare these meaningfully unless you do it back-to-back

Ain't that the truth. Unless vehicles are tested at the same time, acceleration and road holding figures can't be definitively compared.

-Frank
  • Options
    C&D

350Z - Track - 0.88gs
    Corvette - 0.92gs
    S2000 - 0.88gs (latest), 0.90-0.92gs ('00-'03)
    Ferrari 360 - 0.92gs (est.)

Too bad the SVX was not more widely popular. Was and still is a great car.
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    They test going clockwise or counter clockwise, or both ways?

Just wondering if there's a difference in gs.

-Dave
  • Options
    Prolly depends on the magazine, but I believe C&D for instance reverses directions and averages them.

-juice
  • Options
    andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    I think a legacy GT would be better for the money.
    I wouldn't mind the more subtle hoodscoop for my wrx though. I looked and looked and there doesn't seem to be an easy conversion :(
    Don
  • Options
    On a 04 WRX wagon, where are the side airbags? Are they separate units or do the front ones just kind of "wrap around" ? I know its a dumb question. I should have re-registered as someone else to ask it! Oh well.
  • Options
    On the outboard sides of your seat. Look for the little SRS logo.

-juice
  • Options
    thanks for your response.

I ran out to my car, and you're absolutley right! there is a little SRS label on the side of the seat. I've actually noticed those before, so I guess what I'm wondering how they deploy... they rip open the side of the seat, and just blow through all that seat stitching and whatever.... ?
  • Options
    they rip open the side of the seat, and just blow through all that seat stitching and whatever.... ?

Yep, that pretty much about sums it up :-)

-Frank
  • Options
    Well, if you get hit that hard from the side, I think the seat fabric wouldn't be the first concern I had. :-)

IIHS just started testing side impacts and cars with those air bags did so much better that I think the market will begin demanding more of these. Safety still does sell.

-juice
  • Options
    Well, if the air bags are going to come busting through the seat sides, then they gotta have an awful lot of power. If I see an SUV coming for my side door, I'll keep in mind not to stick my head down there. :)) Thanks, guys.
  • Options
    they gotta have an awful lot of power

Enough to stop a full-grown man going 60 mph ;-)

-Frank
  • Options
    On all-season pretty crappy tires :)

-mike
  • Options
    nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    I got a nail on the corner sidewall of my front right tire and the nice man at the tire shop said he couldn't fix the tire, it had to be replaced. And I had to replace the front pair because of the awd, and I had to replace them with the same tires that are on the back which are the stock potenzas which in my opinion <insert something negative here>.
    So I have to replace all four tires because I got a small nail in the corner edge wall of one. Oh well.
    1) is this true? I can understand front pair, but all four tires have to match? It seems to me that the fronts still wear our quicker than the rears so the diameter of the front wheels is generall going to be smaller than the rears (until you rotate tires) so the tranny must be able to deal with constant slip (or whatever it does) to compensate for different sized tires.
    So what gives? Or is this nice man just telling me a story because this is the first awd I've ever bought?
    And for future reference, and suggestions for tires? I like really really sticky. I've been happy with my dunlop sp 8000's which this guy said were so bad they should be recalled, and I was happy with my yokohama atz something or others which he also thought sucked badly.
    I couldn't humor this man at all.
    Any thoughts?
    thanks.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    The Michelin Pilot Sport II is now the top Max Performance tire according to Tire Rack.

From my.subaru.com:

"On All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles, it is extremely important that the rolling or outer circumferences of the tires be within 1/4 inch of each other. This means that you must physically measure the size of the tire. This is best done with the weight of the vehicle off the tire and at the tread centerline. Also be certain that the tires are properly inflated since this can affect your readings.

If you need to replace just one tire, the same holds true. The measured difference in circumference between the replacement tire and the other tires on the vehicle cannot exceed 1/4 inch.

Depending on the vehicle mileage, it might be better to replace all four tires.

If the vehicle mileage is low and the tires have been rotated and driven at the proper inflation pressures, then you may be within the allowable 1/4-inch difference in circumference.

If the difference between the new/replacement tire and the current tires is within this 1/4-nch maximum, then the tire should be compatible. If it is not, then other tires will need to be replaced to conform to the 1/4-inch rule.

Exceeding this 1/4-inch difference in tire circumference can place unnecessary wear on drivetrain components, possibly causing them to wear out prematurely."

-Dennis
  • Options
    the RE92 is a pretty lame tire. if you're replacing all four, you can do better in the dry & wet with a whole lot of summer-only tires. if you want some performance all-seasons I would recommend the Dunlop SP5000.

~c
  • Options
    If the remaining 3 tires have good tread remaining, an option is to shave down the new tire. On my wagon, the rears wear faster than the fronts and I have directional tires so I can't rotate them right to left...on/off ramps have worn the lefts more than the rights and I measure my tires at each tire rotation. A 1/4 inch in diameter may seem like a lot but 1/4" in circumference doesn't take much. I am thinking about running the lefts at 1 or 2 psi higher to compensate.
    Don
  • Options
    Hey Don, was just curious if you have had any ill-effects with the upgrades you have done to your WRX. Just for curiosity's sake.
  • Options
    Kevin111,
    Only ill-effects would be the rattles and buzzes I keep tracking down but I don't know if it would have been the same with 16".
    Don
  • Options
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    Kevin111,
    Cobb stage 1 is the best bang for the buck. Stage 2 gets more involved with actual hardware changes. Problem is that you can only get the advertised power with extra noise. I am trying to find a quiet exhaust but they all seem to be loud.
    I have a feeling you are worried about what the reflash will do to the car. I think stage 1 is safe. I actually get 1mpg better with the reflash.

Don
  • Options
    I am looking to keep the car well over a 100K miles. Of course testdrives can change my mind, but for the time being, that is what I want to do.

I know that in general, engine/internal mods generally reduce the longevity of the car, and that is what I want to avoid. The reflash, if it does not do this, and the tranny can handle it, I might consider as a power upgrade when I get the itch.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.