Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Automakers Won't Abandon Traditional Ignition Key, Despite GM's Recall Woes | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in General
imageAutomakers Won't Abandon Traditional Ignition Key, Despite GM's Recall Woes | Edmunds.com

GM's ignition-switch and ignition-key recalls are not expected to prompt other automakers to abandon the traditional key, Edmunds has found.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

Push button ignitions are going to reach a point where the few turn-key ignition systems still offered will be unusual and quaint. It's the same reason why manual windows, manual door locks, tape decks, and CD players have disappeared. I don't buy the argument that an extra cost of $75-125 -- on a vehicle costing 300x as much -- is any sort of limiting factor. Once the consumer EXPECTS push-button start, any vehicle without is less desirable. That alone will kill the turn-key ignition.

• Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    edited June 2014

It's econ 101. $100 may not seem like a barrier to an individual purchaser, but $100 is an extra cost of $100,000,000 for every million vehicles built, and there are a number of companies who build multiple millions of vehicles. And several hundred millions plus interest and inventory costs is still a significant amount of money for a manufacturer to tie up in one feature. Seemingly sensible improvements that cost far less per vehicle are nixed for the same reason. And while I see the convenience of not having to take the key out of your pocket, the notion that there's never hassle is absurd--if the keys are misplaced, they're lost until you find them, and you can't start the car without them. Truly keyless ignition might be making you enter a combination or solve a puzzle on the touch screen, like you do to unlock your mobile phone, and probably would be less expensive. But then you need a truly keyless entry system, and the one that's still available on Fords is usually derided as old-fashioned or outdated. Biometrics could work but be even more expensive.

• Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383

Car thieves will be able to leave their 'slim-jims' & lock picks in the tool bag and upgrade to remote control technology to break into your vehicle and drive away.
    At least they'll have much cleaner hands.

• Options
    amentament Member Posts: 2
    keyless ignition is a co killer for eldery
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How do you figure? I'm a third-ager and I want keyless.