Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    driver100 said:

I have reached the limit of the insurance company paying for my rental car. The limit was $1800. I called Discount to see what it would cost to keep the BMW X1 for 3 weeks. They said $99 a day! I asked how much for a full size like a Fusion, they said $50 a day.

My dealer will get me a full size car from Enterprise for $226 a week. Enterprise website says I can get a full size car for $250 a week. The BMW would have been about $2000 for 3 weeks, a full size car about $1200.

Sure can make a big difference....you really have to do your homework.

I just got an email from the insurance company looking into the $2600 I would like for the Tech Package. All it said was, "We are looking into it".

Since you are not at fault, there is no limit to your claim for reimbursement on any reasonable expenses arising out of the at-fault parties negligence.

His insurance company should start paying for the rental car when yours no longer will.

Unless Canada does it differently.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,337
    ab348 said:

fintail said:

Not just western WA, but Seattle metro in particular. It is often a lot less prosperous in the west when you stray about 40 miles out. Uneven wealth gains in the nation as a whole are seen on a smaller scale in WA, a microcosm of the new economy. Eastern WA doesn't seem to boom or bust, just keeps working along. A lot of westerners cringe at it, but as I spent a bit of my youth there, I wouldn't cry if I was relocated. I don't mind the weather, and housing is often literally 25% of the cost of the trendier western areas.

In '04 I drove from Seattle (which I quite liked aside from the traffic) to the Tri-Cities area to visit some of the wineries out that way. It was interesting to dodge the tumbleweeds. I like that sort of semi-desert terrain but have to say I preferred Idaho to that part of Washington. We had a stop in Yakima and it was kind of depressing. Although we pulled into a state park/rest area in Easton (I think) where the local church ladies were offering free homemade chocolate chip cookies and cold drinks, so that was nice.
    The only time I was in Washington was when I got out of the service in '83. I flew into Seattle and picked up my car (was shipped there) and drove to eastern Washington to see a friend. The one thing that I still remember from that trip was this one segment of two lane blacktop that was straight as an arrow for what seemed like an eternity. IIRC there were no turns, hills towns or stops, I swear it went for 20 or 30 miles without a turn.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

I have reached the limit of the insurance company paying for my rental car. The limit was $1800. I called Discount to see what it would cost to keep the BMW X1 for 3 weeks. They said $99 a day! I asked how much for a full size like a Fusion, they said $50 a day.

My dealer will get me a full size car from Enterprise for $226 a week. Enterprise website says I can get a full size car for $250 a week. The BMW would have been about $2000 for 3 weeks, a full size car about $1200.

I just got an email from the insurance company looking into the $2600 I would like for the Tech Package. All it said was, "We are looking into it".

Meaning, they are in the process of chewing your broker out and implicitly threatening him. Telling him to stick to selling and leave the claims handling to the claims dept. Hopefully, he will stick to his guns. Be careful though, claims people are vindictive and they will try to make it up somewhere else if they have to cave on this issue. I'm sure you know the drill !
    There is a good question for you. Actually, I really think the broker has some clout with the insurance company. We are in a pretty big group, and |I am sure the broker's opinion has to be considered.

The last I heard, my broker has reapplied for the Tech Package ($2600) option, and the adjuster from the insurance company wrote that she is now reviewing it...before it was just a flat NO.

But, the question is, isn't better to deal with a broker rather than just buy directly from say a State Farm or Allstate? I hadn't thought about it before, but who do you have fighting for you if you are with one of those direct companies.

Speaking of insurance, I am glad we are on the West side of Florida this time.
    Yes, much better. If he is an independent broker, he works for you, not the insurance company, and they do have some clout.
    The problem with broker agents is they are often about as useless as "insert favorite cliche here." The term worthless comes to mind, unless you can find one of the rare "good ones" that doesn't quit every year (turnover is high). All you can mostly do is represent yourself, threaten to sue, and threaten to take your business elsewhere. One of the keys is you can't be bluffing with your threats; you must follow through or you make it harder for the rest of us to get a fair claims settlement.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,116

I try to peek into this forum once in awhile and although I have tried really hard to get my old identity back I have had no success and have given up (sadly) on these forums. I miss all of you and I'll try to at least take a look in this thread from time to time.

Craig

I still don't understand why this seems impossible to fix.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,981

Appreciate the update on Mike. Please add my best wishes to the others!

I try to peek into this forum once in awhile and although I have tried really hard to get my old identity back I have had no success and have given up (sadly) on these forums. I miss all of you and I'll try to at least take a look in this thread from time to time.

Craig

Just be isell4....we know who you are and enjoy having you here. We all understand why you had to change your identity.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

Since you are not at fault, there is no limit to your claim for reimbursement on any reasonable expenses arising out of the at-fault parties negligence.

His insurance company should start paying for the rental car when yours no longer will.

I believe the terms of my policy limit it to $1800. We have no fault insurance, so it is pretty minimal. Set limits for lost wages etc.

• Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Just be isell4....we know who you are and enjoy having you here. We all understand why you had to change your identity.

This Midwestern Kia lover doesn't understand why isell4 had ta change his identity! Splane it, please.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,712
    stever said:

A reporter is working on a story about buggy infotainment systems and is looking to speak with car owners who've had issues with their systems. If you'd like to share your experience, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Monday, October 10, 2016.

I heard a news story that the Ford SYNC system is all screwed up. Never used it, probably never will. Does that count?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

Appreciate the update on Mike. Please add my best wishes to the others!

Craig

Who are you again? I don't recognize the handle although you sound pretty intelligent and would probably make a good addition to this board. Stick around. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

ab348 said:

fintail said:

Not just western WA, but Seattle metro in particular. It is often a lot less prosperous in the west when you stray about 40 miles out. Uneven wealth gains in the nation as a whole are seen on a smaller scale in WA, a microcosm of the new economy. Eastern WA doesn't seem to boom or bust, just keeps working along. A lot of westerners cringe at it, but as I spent a bit of my youth there, I wouldn't cry if I was relocated. I don't mind the weather, and housing is often literally 25% of the cost of the trendier western areas.

In '04 I drove from Seattle (which I quite liked aside from the traffic) to the Tri-Cities area to visit some of the wineries out that way. It was interesting to dodge the tumbleweeds. I like that sort of semi-desert terrain but have to say I preferred Idaho to that part of Washington. We had a stop in Yakima and it was kind of depressing. Although we pulled into a state park/rest area in Easton (I think) where the local church ladies were offering free homemade chocolate chip cookies and cold drinks, so that was nice.
    The only time I was in Washington was when I got out of the service in '83. I flew into Seattle and picked up my car (was shipped there) and drove to eastern Washington to see a friend. The one thing that I still remember from that trip was this one segment of two lane blacktop that was straight as an arrow for what seemed like an eternity. IIRC there were no turns, hills towns or stops, I swear it went for 20 or 30 miles without a turn.
    I'd love to give the ford a workout there if the cops were absent.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited October 2016
    Driver, there are different types of no fault insurance. In many jurisdictions, the no fault law only applies to bodily injury claims. I don't know about Canada, but I would say that there would be a good chance that the no fault law would not apply to your type of loss.

In the U.S. the law varies from state to state, and in Canada it probably varies from province to province If the law only applies to bodily injury losses, your insurer should reimburse you for your loss of use of your car as primary insurance (which they have, up to the limit). Then they should continue to reimburse you for the rest of your rental expense, and then recover the entire amount from the other insurance company.

Check with your broker, even he might not be aware of this. Also if you have a copy of your policy, read it and see what it says. It should be very clear on this point.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Driver, there are different types of no fault insurance. In many jurisdictions, the no fault law only applies to bodily injury claims. I don't know about Canada, but I would say that there would be a good chance that the no fault law would not apply to your type of loss.

In the U.S. the law varies from state to state, and in Canada it probably varies from province to province If the law only applies to bodily injury losses, your insurer should reimburse you for your loss of use of your car as primary insurance (which they have, up to the limit). Then they should continue to reimburse you for the rest of your rental expense, and then recover the entire amount from the other insurance company.

Check with your broker, even he might not be aware of this. Also if you have a copy of your policy, read it and see what it says. It should be very clear on this point.

houdini1 - are you referring to driver's car insurance as it affects the rental car portion of it, or the whole car insurance policy and what it can and can not protect for him?

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

stever said:

A reporter is working on a story about buggy infotainment systems and is looking to speak with car owners who've had issues with their systems. If you'd like to share your experience, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Monday, October 10, 2016.

I heard a news story that the Ford SYNC system is all screwed up. Never used it, probably never will. Does that count?

I think the reporter wants an owner with actual experience yelling at their dashboard. :)

• Options
    stever said:

stever said:

I think the reporter wants an owner with actual experience yelling at their dashboard. :)

Or maybe one who did the Mark Shields "hit the screen until it breaks" routine.

• Options
    edited October 2016

houdini1 - are you referring to driver's car insurance as it affects the rental car portion of it, or the whole car insurance policy and what it can and can not protect for him?

In this case I was only referring to the rental car portion since there was where the problem was, but you have raised a good point. If the no fault only applies to bodily injury (which we don't know) the other company could be liable for the entire loss. No insurance company could be that dumb though, so the no fault probably applies to property damage also.

If that is the case we have to go to plan B. If that $1800. dollar limit can be raised to a higher limit by paying an extra prem., and driver was never offered that option, he could possibly recover his loss under his broker and/or insurer's errors and omissions coverage.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    driver, here is one other thing to consider. Even if ''no fault'' applies to property damage, when there is a "no fault" accident, that doesn't mean that no one was at fault. Fault is always assigned. You were not at fault so you might be able to recover your property damage deductible in this case. Talk to your broker.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,607
    In this situation, I can't believe Driver is still screwing around with this, and doesn't have his money yet. It has been weeks it seems since they said it was totaled. Just show the man his money.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    No fault has some advantages, and some disadvantages. A big disadvantage is you can't really sue for things like time wasted getting rental cars, inconvenience, injuries that may hurt but can't be treated, and what can be treated is pretty well covered by our health plan.

This year, our dopey government promised to cut insurance rates by 15%. To try to keep their promise (buying votes) they reduced rates a bit, but now lost income is limited to a much smaller amount, not the real amount, If you want to be covered for your real income, you have to buy extra insurance depending on how much coverage you have.

I wasn't at fault, so truck drivers insurance pays, but, my company has to get the money from them. I assume my company has the rider for full replacement value - I paid $55 for that, so I guess they have to cover that, that is why they are trying to avoid paying $2600 for the Tech Pkge.

It would be good to find out if I am covered until I have a car....or at least until I accept their offer. I don't have a copy of our actual policy, but, once we get this Tech Pkge thing settled, I will ask how we get compensated for the few physio and massage sessions my wife has had, and I will ask if I am covered for a rental until my claim is settled.

Another thing that isn't fair is I am entitled to a similar car as the E400, but if I am limited to $1800 I will reach the limit a lot faster if I actually rent a luxury car :'(

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,200
    Yakima can be a bit rough, yeah. IIRC it is the drug distribution capital of the region (that "war" has worked out so well), and has some areas I wouldn't want to go at night. But most of it is OK, I think. When the rains pick up here, I find myself wanting the dryness there.

And the post about straight roads is very true - and when you get off I-90, there is often almost no traffic. Occasional posts warn of speed enforcement (one of those areas where they throw money away by using planes), but it is far from constant. I think many people in this area have hit their fastest speeds east of the mountains. Just gotta watch out for Ma and Pa Kettle out for a spin in their unrestored 48 Ford truck, wildlife, and tumbleweeds.
    ab348 said:

• Options
    I've been ta Yakima once and I'm a native Wa-rsh-in-tonian, born in Seattle, raised in Edmonds and a 20-yr. Boeing worker. I lived in Moses Lake in 2015 for a while and one of my workspots was Wenatchee - the other, Brewster. I have been to Yakima once in my life - it was on October 1, 1999. Foghat played two shows there and my wife and I saw 'em both. One of Lonesome Dave Peverett's last shows before succumbing ta cancer.

Our hotel experience after the shows was awful - a couple or small group in the next room was drunken bouting it pretty loud. Didn't get much sleep that night. We just drove around Yakima briefly before the rock shows so I have no real personal impression ta give of Yakima itself, only accounts I've read that it has a few areas ta avoid.

• Options
    I lived in ML for several years when I was a little kid, back in the 80s. I think it was about half its current size. I go back and visit now and then, and am always surprised at what has developed - land that was raw sagebrush fields when I was a kid is now tract housing. Another place that is a bit rough in some areas, but mostly OK. You have 4 real seasons out there too.

When in Yakima I go to tourist favorite Miners, when in ML next time I'll probably stop by Chico's Pizza, which hasn't changed since I was a little kid. I am sure hotels in Yakima are a crapshoot - don't cheap out.

• Options
    J's Teriyaki is great right in downtown Moses Lake.

• Options
    andres3 said:

driver100 said:

The key words in your post is "reasonable expenses", if I were the at faults insurance company I would say that paying Drivers rental simply because Drivers insurance is balking is not a reasonable expense. I would think that the mediator would agree with that.

• Options
    andres3 said:

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

Meaning, they are in the process of chewing your broker out and implicitly threatening him. Telling him to stick to selling and leave the claims handling to the claims dept. Hopefully, he will stick to his guns. Be careful though, claims people are vindictive and they will try to make it up somewhere else if they have to cave on this issue. I'm sure you know the drill !
    There is a good question for you. Actually, I really think the broker has some clout with the insurance company. We are in a pretty big group, and |I am sure the broker's opinion has to be considered.

The last I heard, my broker has reapplied for the Tech Package ($2600) option, and the adjuster from the insurance company wrote that she is now reviewing it...before it was just a flat NO.

But, the question is, isn't better to deal with a broker rather than just buy directly from say a State Farm or Allstate? I hadn't thought about it before, but who do you have fighting for you if you are with one of those direct companies.

Speaking of insurance, I am glad we are on the West side of Florida this time.
    Yes, much better. If he is an independent broker, he works for you, not the insurance company, and they do have some clout.
    The problem with broker agents is they are often about as useless as "insert favorite cliche here." The term worthless comes to mind, unless you can find one of the rare "good ones" that doesn't quit every year (turnover is high). All you can mostly do is represent yourself, threaten to sue, and threaten to take your business elsewhere. One of the keys is you can't be bluffing with your threats; you must follow through or you make it harder for the rest of us to get a fair claims settlement.
    an independent agent has more clout simply because he can direct traffic to different insurers. If an independent agent sees that a particular insurer plays around when there is a claim they will give that information to their clients when they shop for insurance.

As for suing, that's mostly an empty threat as most policies (maybe all) have a mediation clause in it. You would be able to sue the other driver and/or their insurer but not yours.

• Options

This Midwestern Kia lover doesn't understand why isell4 had ta change his identity! Splane it, please.

Isell had to change his name because he went into the witness protection program for his testimony in the XYZ affair.

• Options

ab348 said:

fintail said:

I'd love to give the ford a workout there if the cops were absent.
    I did drive it in a Mustang and I was tempted. But that was back in the day when speedometers only went to 85 MPH so I knew I could have pinned it easily enough.

• Options
    stever said:

stever said:

So if I go out right now and just yell at my dashboard can I talk to the guy?

I know I wouldn't be talking to the neighbors after I did it so that could be a plus.

But it would give the neighbors sometime more to talk to each other about.

• Options

andres3 said:

driver100 said:

The key words in your post is "reasonable expenses", if I were the at faults insurance company I would say that paying Drivers rental simply because Drivers insurance is balking is not a reasonable expense. I would think that the mediator would agree with that.
    The policy sets out the limits when you buy it....$1800 sounds like a reasonable limit when you sign on.

I took the BMW X1 back today, since I had reached my limit, and they quoted me $99 a day to continue - Discount (this one is about $35 a day). I went to Enterprise just down the street and was given a choice of 3 full size cars, Sonata, Altima (the one recommended by JMonroe, as a chick magnet), and a Titanium Escape. I was tempted by all 3, it was a hard decision but I went with the Escape. Only 2400 miles on it! Still has Sirius. Nice having Keyless start again, with the BMW I would sit in the car and realize I needed the key.

I like the way the Escape is very solid, and has all the creature comforts. Even nice ambient lighting, soft blue on the door panels changes to red when you open the door. Even the cup holders have a lit up blue ring around them. Steering is pretty good, firm and solid feeling, though there is noticeable torque steer. Seats are comfortable.

I have only driven it about 10 miles, but I do find the instrument panel a bit too jazzy for my taste, though controls are easy to get to and see.

Overall I am impressed with the solidness of the car, and I think I would feel more confident driving this than the Chryco 300, and more solid than the Fusion. The BMW was rock solid and really fun to drive, but lacked all the creature comforts like a rear camera and keyless.

• Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

It's not just a name change. @isellhondas lost about 20 years seniority along with his pension and the Edmunds union has not been able to help him with this after all those years of paying dues on time.

How would you like to start over again at his age? :@

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    isellhondas4isellhondas4 Guest Posts: 34
    OK, I started about the time these forums started in 1996. For YEARS all I had to go was go to Edmunds and my username isellhondas AND my password would auto fill. Never a problem until a couple of months ago I couldn't get it to work. a Moderator, either Karen or Stever walked me through a process that restored everything. I was SO HAPPY! All was well for a couple of months and then I lost everything again. I have tried several times and have spent HOURS trying to get my identity back. Now nobody even knows who I am.

I used to enjoy helping out and answering questions and the "spirited" discussions we used to have. I don't know why but it's like I lost a strong circle of friends. I feel badly and see no solution so I have basically lost interest.

Craig
  • Options
    we all know who you are, but sorry you feel that way.

• Options
    stickguy said:

we all know who you are, but sorry you feel that way.

+1

Look at it this way, you get to have a new start in life....how many can do that?

• Options

OK, I started about the time these forums started in 1996. For YEARS all I had to go was go to Edmunds and my username isellhondas AND my password would auto fill. Never a problem until a couple of months ago I couldn't get it to work. a Moderator, either Karen or Stever walked me through a process that restored everything. I was SO HAPPY! All was well for a couple of months and then I lost everything again. I have tried several times and have spent HOURS trying to get my identity back. Now nobody even knows who I am.

I used to enjoy helping out and answering questions and the "spirited" discussions we used to have. I don't know why but it's like I lost a strong circle of friends. I feel badly and see no solution so I have basically lost interest.

Craig

You realize that the auto-fill function for your password is a thing in your web browser and operating system, right?

Having said that, every online service I've ever used had the ability for an administrator to reset your password to some random string and then send it to you to let you pick one you can remember. Don't understand why that can't happen here.

• Options
    fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    edited October 2016

Craig

I experienced the same problem. Several years ago the user name FORDFOOL got wonky, so I setup FORDFOOL2. Now, once in a while, the latter ID will popup when I sign in. I have to go to the manual sign-in and change the info back to that of FORDFOOL, then sign-in again.

I would think someone in Edmunds tech should be able to restore your original ID or, at the very least, assign all of your original information and badges to the new ID. You've earned that.
  • Options
    assigning to the new ID might be easier. I think his issues are on Isells end (computer, browser, something)

though if you go to a new machine, should have no history and let you log in from scratch In theory.

• Options
    ab348 said:

Craig

You realize that the auto-fill function for your password is a thing in your web browser and operating system, right?

Having said that, every online service I've ever used had the ability for an administrator to reset your password to some random string and then send it to you to let you pick one you can remember. Don't understand why that can't happen here.
    I agree. I never heard of being unable to reset a password. Edmunds needs to fix this issue as it is very important to isell. Just send him a temporary pw, then he can change back to his original identity.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited October 2016

Craig

Craig - man, I'm not hip ta this situation. There has ta be a way ta fix this and I don't think Craig's online service would fix this one - Craig oughta just pick one (ID) and continue ta go with it. We all know who you are, Craig, isellhondas4, is that one autofilling in? If so, I'd just stick to isellhondas4. And stay with us. In the end, it's your decision. I'd like ya ta stay on in here, sounds like everyone else would, too! B)

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Isell, you're not alone. For more than two weeks I've been trying to log on until tonight.

Also noticed that *driver is driving rentals, apparently his new E-class is not here yet

My heart says E300 but my wallet says C300, how do I split the difference? A new Lacrosse or something.....different, but what. 

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,972
    Personally, I like The Weather Channel, it's on in the background right now. Living in South Florida for almost 47 years now, next week actually, I rely on them to help get us through hurricanes and such. We dodged a big bullet this week and always have that channel on when we go through hurricanes. Watched for days after Andrew since we only lost power for about 17 hours. Wilma left us powerless for almost 9 days so didn't see much then. But like I said earlier, TWC gives a lot of great info and shows pics of all the mess.
    Matthew was far enough offshore so we only got a few inches of rain showers and moderate winds, nothing more than 40 mph, thank G-d. losing ones power for even a few hours ain't much fun, those 9 days after Wilma was like a life's sentence! One never realizes how nice a warm shower is or even warm clean clothes is until they are taken away for an extended period of time. Wilma traumatized me literally, and whenever I hear about any storm starting to get close, I get a bit anxious and go into "hurricane mode". Make sure we have petrol in all 4 vehicles, get extra food and other needs and basically do all I can to be somewhat comfortable. With Matt, my oldest decided to stay at home with her boyfriend up in West Palm Beach which got hit a bit harder than we did. But, I was in constant contact for days before reminding her what she needed to do to get ready. guess I am one of those dad's who needs to make sure their kids are taken care of at all costs. i would've preferred them to be down here, but she's an adult now so I had to defer to her. Didn't like it but hey, she's grown up just like we taught her to...she took responsibility for herself.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    bwia said:

Isell, you're not alone. For more than two weeks I've been trying to log on until tonight.

Also noticed that *driver is driving rentals, apparently his new E-class is not here yet

My heart says E300 but my wallet says C300, how do I split the difference? A new Lacrosse or something.....different, but what. 

My heart also says E300 but my wallet says Schwinn.

• Options
    With the newest designs, the C feels like an E, and certainly looks like one. If that is your budget, I don't think you really get cheated at all (assuming you get the right options!)

• Options
    bwia said:

Welcome back to the land of the ah, err, wel,l ah, living!

I sat in a C300 and I really liked the feel and ambiance. If it wasn't for the big trips to Florida and if my budget allowed only for a C that is what I would probably buy.

They probably have great deals on left over 2016 E300 and E400s. Just me, but it might be worth it to try one out, actually try a C and an E, and then you will at least know whether it is worth looking into further.

I have a rental car until Oct 29th. Fly to Florida on Oct 30. We can get by with one car in Florida, the Passat. The new car will come in December, we fly back Dec 14, and will drive to Florida on about the 20th. That's the plan.

• Options
    stickguy said:

With the newest designs, the C feels like an E, and certainly looks like one. If that is your budget, I don't think you really get cheated at all (assuming you get the right options!)

Agree 100%!

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited October 2016
    The heart wants what the heart wants and with the final payment on a mortgage coming due in December there might be a new occupant in my garage. But my wife also has her eye on a designer kitchen. Let's see who wins this battle. 

BTW, a side by side comparison shows the E300 and C300 are almost identical except for size.
  • Options
    bwia said:

The heart wants what the heart wants and with the final payment on a mortgage coming due in December there might be a occupant in my garage. But my wife also has her eye on a designer kitchen. Let's see who wins this battle. 

I know who my money is on!

Sorry :'(

• Options
    Put a few more miles on the Escape. I don't think it is the car I would actually buy, but it is a pretty decent car. Comfortable and solidly made, lots of pick up, pretty good suspension, keyless, back up camera, nice interior especially the seats and door panels. The instrument panel is easy to manage, but I am not a fan of the really space age jazzy look - looks like a ghetto blaster with lots of curves and sweeping lines. Would like the windshield not to be so swoopy too, come down straighter and have a longer hood...feel like I am driving a van or a bus.

There is noticeable torque steer even though it has AWD. Just a guess but I guess normal mode is FWD.

All in all a great rental car for $220 a week.

• Options
    I don't think I would settle for less than 20% off MSRP on a leftover 2016 E right now. Dealers have to be itching to get rid of the old stock. Even when I got mine 4 months ago, the vibe was "please take this thing off our lot", as the W213 was just trickling in.

I'll be in FL for a few days in November. I hope to have a nice rental car too (driving from ATL).
    driver100 said:

They probably have great deals on left over 2016 E300 and E400s. Just me, but it might be worth it to try one out, actually try a C and an E, and then you will at least know whether it is worth looking into further.

I have a rental car until Oct 29th. Fly to Florida on Oct 30. We can get by with one car in Florida, the Passat. The new car will come in December, we fly back Dec 14, and will drive to Florida on about the 20th. That's the plan.

• Options
    I am hoping this is how mine will look:

• Options

Personally, I like The Weather Channel, it's on in the background right now. Living in South Florida for almost 47 years now, next week actually, I rely on them to help get us through hurricanes and such. We dodged a big bullet this week and always have that channel on when we go through hurricanes. Watched for days after Andrew since we only lost power for about 17 hours. Wilma left us powerless for almost 9 days so didn't see much then. But like I said earlier, TWC gives a lot of great info and shows pics of all the mess.
    Matthew was far enough offshore so we only got a few inches of rain showers and moderate winds, nothing more than 40 mph, thank G-d. losing ones power for even a few hours ain't much fun, those 9 days after Wilma was like a life's sentence! One never realizes how nice a warm shower is or even warm clean clothes is until they are taken away for an extended period of time. Wilma traumatized me literally, and whenever I hear about any storm starting to get close, I get a bit anxious and go into "hurricane mode". Make sure we have petrol in all 4 vehicles, get extra food and other needs and basically do all I can to be somewhat comfortable. With Matt, my oldest decided to stay at home with her boyfriend up in West Palm Beach which got hit a bit harder than we did. But, I was in constant contact for days before reminding her what she needed to do to get ready. guess I am one of those dad's who needs to make sure their kids are taken care of at all costs. i would've preferred them to be down here, but she's an adult now so I had to defer to her. Didn't like it but hey, she's grown up just like we taught her to...she took responsibility for herself.

The Sandman :)B)

Glad to hear you are OK but I figured you were since my widow SIL in Delray Beach said they dodged a bullet when I talked to her on Friday (I think) after Mathew passed by you guys and headed North.

I remember visiting my Brother and SIL after Wilma hit down there but the only damage they had was the loss of their screened in pool enclosure. It took them several months to have that replaced because almost everyone in their community and many many others down there had to have theirs replaced too. As for power, I think he said they were without power for about 2 days not 9 like you.

I know Mike is still in the hospital but his placed was probably spared too.

You guys have great weather which is a draw for people from the North like where I live, but man, when it turns on you I guess all you can do is be prepared, leave for a few days, or duck. :o

jmonroe

• Options
    bwia said:

The heart wants what the heart wants and with the final payment on a mortgage coming due in December there might be a new occupant in my garage. But my wife also has her eye on a designer kitchen. Let's see who wins this battle. 

BTW, a side by side comparison shows the E300 and C300 are almost identical except for size.

I don't know why you are wondering who will win...I know the answer to that and I don't even live in your house. :o

You can always do like I did when I retired. Mrs. j wanted to go on a cruise to celebrate. I don't know why she felt she had to celebrate, I was the one retiring. So we went cruising in March of 2015 and in May of 2015 I bought my '15 Genny.

You don't think I wasn't going to celebrate do you? :p

Try it you'll like it. There is nothing wrong with a designer garage.

jmonroe