Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2015 Hyundai Sonata Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Hyundai
image2015 Hyundai Sonata Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds' road test of the 2015 Hyundai Sonata includes on-road driving impressions, specs, photos and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    razzafrazarazzafraza Member Posts: 3

Lousy speedometer... Do Korean execs drive in the USA, where speed limits are set at 25 / 35 /45 /55 /65 /75 ? Sure will be fun to drive through the speed traps...

• Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332

"It's the Eco trim that's the real surprise to drive. With discernibly more power than the base engine and similar road manners, it offers the best fuel economy of the group". You are assuming the EPA ratings have any bearing in the real world. Ford's 1.6 Ecoboost has high EPA ratings that are notoriously difficult to achieve. It will take a more thorough test to know if the Hyundai has the same issue.

• Options
    greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531

Wait a minute. Just a couple years ago the Sonata had 274 hp from their turbo motor, along with 22/26/34 mpg. And now they've detuned it to 245 hp and it gets 23/26/32? And it's BETTER than last year?? Not sure I understand what happened here.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,127

@greenpony said:
    Wait a minute. Just a couple years ago the Sonata had 274 hp from their turbo motor, along with 22/26/34 mpg. And now they've detuned it to 245 hp and it gets 23/26/32? And it's BETTER than last year?? Not sure I understand what happened here.

Simple. Hyundai got caught overstating rated HP while also exaggerating fuel economy numbers. These numbers are likely closer to reality and the disappointing results are closer to what owners will experience in the real world. Nothing in this review makes me think this car is anything other than a dull appliance and likely a step backwards.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

The bulk of buyers in this class WANT dull appliances. They want competence and comfort, not superior driving dynamics and sub 6 sec 0-60 times.

Like the prior version, I predict this will be a strong seller for Hyundai.

• Options

@bankerdanny said:
    Like the prior version, I predict this will be a strong seller for Hyundai.

The shoddy, cheap merchandise that Walmart flogs sells strongly too.

• Options
    razzafrazarazzafraza Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014

@sukemadiq
    No issue with increments of ten as they are clearly marked on the speedometer. Even if they kept those ridiculous speed marks on the speedometer, there should be at least small hashmarks for the -5s, but Not much point in dedicating space for 100-180 mph on the speedometer in the US while sacrificing the useful numbers from 0-90 ... As this car is not the only offender, see this AP article:
    https://news.yahoo.com/speedometer-top-speed-often-exceeds-150136959.html
    I don't agree with the various conclusions of the interviewee, but cars are creeping up with unrealistic speedometers for no practical reason...

• Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

The styling of the new Sonata is very me-too. The design looks like it could have been created by any company anytime in the past 5 years. In fact, my immediate reaction to the front quarter view was, "Looks like a Buick." Surprising and disappointing for a company that recently was out in front of the pack, willing to use edgy designs.

• Options

@ab348 said:
    The shoddy, cheap merchandise that Walmart flogs sells strongly too.

Shoddy? Based on what? I've driven several of the current version of the Sonata. Its a quiet, comfortable, adequately powered vehicle that offers good value for money and Edmunds hasn't had any quality issues with its recent Hyundai long-term testers. This isn't 1987, Hyundai has been producing good quality vehicles for some time now.

• Options
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74

Someone can't do math, nor has a good memory. The Sonata was redesigned in 2010 as a 2011 model. It's only been 4 years, not 5.

The more I read articles on this site, the less likely I am to visit it...

• Options
    stan_g_flstan_g_fl Member Posts: 1

I keep seeing flashbacks to the previous Chrysler 200 in the rear 3/4 view.

• Options

@bankerdanny said:
    Shoddy? Based on what? I've driven several of the current version of the Sonata. Its a quiet, comfortable, adequately powered vehicle that offers good value for money and Edmunds hasn't had any quality issues with its recent Hyundai long-term testers. This isn't 1987, Hyundai has been producing good quality vehicles for some time now.

And unlike 1987 Hyundai is trying to command price points almost equal to other brands now, but their offerings are are sizzle without much steak. Poor driving dynamics, lack of refinement, obvious cost-cutting are rampant. Long-term, who knows whether these will hold up. But the price is right. And of course the stigma that goes with driving a Hyundai can never go away. Good luck to you.

• Options
    se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94

Speedometer is the first where I've seen the scale change from every 5 MPH to every 10 MPH at the "20" mark. I haven't seen anything like that since a drag racer's tach.

• Options
    se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94

@redgeminipa said:
    Someone can't do math, nor has a good memory. The Sonata was redesigned in 2010 as a 2011 model. It's only been 4 years, not 5.

Sales began in early 2010 as a 2011 model. So yes, there are 4 model years but it's been on sale for nearly 5 years. You could even argue that 2011 models manufactured after July 2010 were a different model year because of mid-cycle improvements that improved their crash test ratings.

• Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571

Hyundai came in fourth place in the most recent JD Powers initial quality survey. Only 94 problems per 100 cars (the industry average was 116 problems per 100.) That is a pretty compelling testament to the quality of the products coming out of their factories. I have almost 57,000 miles on my 2011 Sonata. While the interior is riddled with various rattles, the car has been mechanically fine other than a thermostat failure that was repaired under warranty. Like any car, it has its unexplainable and sporadic quirks. Minor issues that randomly come and go.

The 2015 Sonata seems like a nice enough car. I may wait 6 months or so and go look at them as a replacement for my 2011. The decrease in horsepower for the 2.0T and 2.4LNA is most likely a function of fuel economy and reliability. It is no secret that Hyundai has been dealing with some engine and transmission issues in the 2011-2014 models. Reducing power output puts less stress on the drivetrain, and makes the whole system more stable/reliable.

• Options
    spwolfxspwolfx Member Posts: 1

@ryster said:
    Hyundai came in fourth place in the most recent JD Powers initial quality survey. Only 94 problems per 100 cars (the industry average was 116 problems per 100.) That is a pretty compelling testament to the quality of the products coming out of their factories. I have almost 57,000 miles on my 2011 Sonata.

Lets put this straight - IQS is 90 day survey... JD Power VDS (dependability) survey that rates 3yr old car rates Hyundai very poor - significantly worse than average. Here is the info: http://www.automotive-fleet.com/fc_images/news/m-jd-power-vds-2014.jpg

Hyundai is 4th best from the bottom :-)

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

“The margin from the best cars to average and below average has diminished dramatically,” Autotrader.com senior analyst Michelle Krebs said."

Do good auto quality scores produce sales and profits? (Detroit Free Press)

(Another discussion that may be of interest: Comments: Consumer Reports/JD Power Rankings)

• Options
    rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

@ryster said:
    Hyundai came in fourth place in the most recent JD Powers initial quality survey. Only 94 problems per 100 cars (the industry average was 116 problems per 100.) That is a pretty compelling testament to the quality of the products coming out of their factories. I have almost 57,000 miles on my 2011 Sonata. While the interior is riddled with various rattles, the car has been mechanically fine other than a thermostat failure that was repaired under warranty. Like any car, it has its unexplainable and sporadic quirks. Minor issues that randomly come and go.

The 2015 Sonata seems like a nice enough car. I may wait 6 months or so and go look at them as a replacement for my 2011. The decrease in horsepower for the 2.0T and 2.4LNA is most likely a function of fuel economy and reliability. It is no secret that Hyundai has been dealing with some engine and transmission issues in the 2011-2014 models. Reducing power output puts less stress on the drivetrain, and makes the whole system more stable/reliable.

The interior is riddled with various rattles? That's a pretty compelling testament to _poor _quality.

Unexplainable and sporadic quirks? That is not "like any car". Hondas and other good makes rarely have issues that randomly come and go.

These issues that you seem to downplay are big red flags to me. Hyundai may have come a long way, but it sounds like they still lag the leaders when it comes to quality.

• Options

@stan_g_fl said:
    I keep seeing flashbacks to the previous Chrysler 200 in the rear 3/4 view.

And from the front 3/4 view it looks like a Subaru Legacy. Not a good design to mimic.

Funny thing, the Hyundai ad for the 2014 model clearance at the top of the page shows a picture of the outgoing model that looks far more interesting than the new one.

• Options
    mitt_zombie1mitt_zombie1 Member Posts: 32
    ryster said:

A 2011 full of rattles is not acceptable. Heck I just drove my dad 3 hours in his 2005 Camry V6 and there is not a squeak or rattle in that car, he has not had a single repair and there is nothing that does not work.

A few rattles were OK when Hyundai charged far less than competitors, But 35K for a slow turbo that will likely need repairs down the road is the opposite of a bargain.

• Options
    It takes the turbo 8.3 seconds to hit 60? What's the point, a Camry 4 cylinder will do it in 8.4 and the V6 in just over 6. Apparently Car and Driver's 8.0 second 0-60 run in this car wasn't just an anomaly.

This is now the slowest "uplevel" engine midsize sedan you can buy, and a 4-cylinder Altima will beat it to 60.
  • Options
    kosmo69kosmo69 Member Posts: 5
    ab348 said:

@bankerdanny said:

And unlike 1987 Hyundai is trying to command price points almost equal to other brands now, but their offerings are are sizzle without much steak. Poor driving dynamics, lack of refinement, obvious cost-cutting are rampant. Long-term, who knows whether these will hold up. But the price is right. And of course the stigma that goes with driving a Hyundai can never go away. Good luck to you.

what do you expect from a Canadian
  • Options
    Why are you re-publishing a 3 month old article on the front page? How about you do a full review of the Eco version that you mention in this review.
  • Options
    kosmo69 said:

ab348 said:

@bankerdanny said:

what do you expect from a Canadian

Stigma? Again, not 1987, not even 1997. While driving a Hyundai would not be a point of pride, there is absolutely nothing to be even the least bit ashamed about in buying and driving any Hyundai built in the past 4-5 years.

There is no more a stigma to driving a Hyundai or Kia than there is in driving a minivan vs an SUV
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014

Why are you re-publishing a 3 month old article on the front page?

There is no more a stigma to driving a Hyundai or Kia than there is in driving a minivan vs an SUV

Lots of older editorial content is getting published on the Forums to get the comments merged with the Forum posts, so you may see more stories like this.

And I'd consider driving a Hyundai minivan. B)

• Options
    gizmo2009gizmo2009 Member Posts: 1
    I got the new 2015 Sonata Sport and it rides smooth, quiet ride.Handles great. I like the new look. I get about 33 MPG on hwy. Combine around 29 to 30 MPG. If you are thinking about getting a new 2015 Sonata, I would say, what are you waiting for????
  • Options
    "If you are thinking about getting a new 2015 Sonata, I would say, what are you waiting for???? "

Something that isn't dog-slow for $30K. Every other upscale engine in this class, be it the Japanese 3.5-liter V6s or the 2.0 turbos in the Fusion and Malibu, will lay waste to this Sonata in acceleration.
  • Options
    ijcyijcy Member Posts: 1
    I have no idea how your 2011 Sonata has rattles. I have the 2011 Limited 2.0T and i can't hear anything! It is the best car i owned (previously had the Nissan murano, Volvo S80,Volvo 850) And was so looking forward to the 2015 to change my car. But wow! The new design is fugly! And 8.3 0-60?! Mine does it in 6.0! What have they done? Unfortunately i will not get a Hyundai this time around. And i unlike stuck in the 90's ab348 and love and appreciate the strides hyundai has made to get where they are now.
  • Options
    sampaksampak Member Posts: 1
    Just an FYI to a poster above, the outgoing 2011-2014 model Sonata 2.0T does 0-60mph in about 6.4 seconds. http://www.zeroto60times.com/Hyundai-0-60-mph-Times.html

The new one is 30hp weaker and probably a few pounds heavier given the trend most cars seem to have in that department, but that still doesn't explain an almost 2 second difference between the new and previous model 2.0T. It must have to do with the power AND the way it is put down (transmission loss, ECU, tech wizardry to save fuel etc.) so even the 245hp is probably not what the car is REALLY putting down. It's a shame, but like someone mentioned already, most potential buyers for these types of cars probably don't give 2 nuts about performance. That and the ridiculous price point increases across the board, (2.0T especially) makes this car a gloss-over for someone like me, however.

That, and the rear end looks way too much like the Kia Optima. Meh.
  • Options
    topdaline2topdaline2 Member Posts: 1
    My opinion of Hyundai, yes they have come a long way in appearance and quality, the overall Hyundai ownership experience is below average. I have a 2012 Genisis Base, the engine is very powerfull but the MPG is no where near the claim. I have had several strange problems with my vehicle, which Hyundai always seems not to be able to duplicate. If you contact their corporate office in California be prepared, to treatment that borders on almost rude. The dealer experience does not compare with competitors and a Genesis owner is treated like an Accent owner. The cost of maintenance on my Genesis is extremely high $85.00 to replace the cabin air filter is a bit excessive every 7,000 miles, plus my vehicle was returned to me with grease prints on the glove box door, where the filter is located?. My previous vehicle was a Cheverolet Impala, the treatment I received from GM was always fair and repair costs were moderate, and the dealer experience was always good. Will I purchase another Hyundai product probably not, say what you may about the domestic vehicles, I have never been told we can not duplicate your problem, so much for their 10 year warranty
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,634
    well, I only have 550 miles on my Sonata, so no need to deal with service yet or corporate (and hopefully, as with almost all my other cars, I never need corporate!). But the dealer experience was top notch, and in the 6 weeks I have owned it, not one initial problem found.

as to the cabin filter, that is a dealer issue. For one thing, it is only recommended something like every 30K. No way it needs replacing in 7K unless you drive on nothing but dirt roads,, through cow pastures! But actually, $85 is probably normal at a dealer. I think Honda wanted just as much. It is also one of the easiest DIY projects ever. but the filter (dealer or Walmart), and it takes about 5 minutes to pop in. The most time consuming part is usually emptying the glove box, so you don't dump everything on the floor! Service people don't like to tell you how easy it is, because once you figure it out, you will never pay to have it done again.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    havasuvideoshavasuvideos Member Posts: 1
    As a four time Hyundai owner I can truly put them up against any Honda or Toyota I have owned them all. If you do not own a Hyundai, or have not owned one in recent years, I would refrain from negative comments. Honda, Mazda, Datsun (Nissan) went through the same thing in the 60's and 70's my parents wouldn't own one if you paid them. Your kids will be driving Hyundai I assure you. Talk to a Hyundai owner or read the facts from a reliable source to confirm the quality. Reading into the brand I learned that they refuse to use CVT transmissions or anything else that threatens the long term reliability of their cars. I have yet to see a squeak or rattle free car of any brand, if you don't believe me, go rent a Bentley and take a listen. In my short period of time on this earth I have personally owned 23 cars, in addition to my wife's cars. I currently own a 2013 Sonata SE 2.0T. I have posed the question to Hyundai, re: horsepower reduction. The unofficial reply was: horsepower output was reduced to concentrate engine torque in the mid-rpm range to save fuel, and eliminate the need to rev the engine to high rpms to achieve peak torque. Also it was mentioned to me that this is not a sport sedan, they make the Genesis for that, and 245 HP is a respectable number within its peers. Yes it's slightly slower than mine from about the 10-35 mph, but past that does just fine. I have driven a considerable distance and the fuel economy is better. I maxed mine in eco mode around town at 21, a good trip in the new one at just under 26mpg. Highway just over 36mpg on both cars (cruise set at 75). New car does feel better, it is quieter and more solid. My only issue is front end design. It would look better if they made it look like a baby Genesis or kept more cues from previous look. BTW cabin filter is about 20 bucks. I install mine myself takes 3 minutes the instructions are on the top of the box.
  • Options
    I can say without fear of contradiction that I will never own a Hyundai.