-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

engine longevity

bp53bp53 Member Posts: 23
edited April 2014 in Nissan
I have a 4 cylinder 1986 Nissan truck which has 207,000 miles on it. So far it uses no oil and has about 3 tuneups. I had to replace 2 clutches and a water pump but other than that no problems. Is this kind of mileage on a 4 cylinder engine unusual or do I have a rare engine? Would be interested in some of your comments. I know I'll have to replace it one day and am trying to decide which truck to buy. I don't want another Nissan because, frankly, I don't like the way they look and I'm tired of small trucks.

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I also had an 86 Nissan 4x4 king cab with a 4 cylinder and when I traded it in '96 I had 140,000 and the only major thing I had to do was replace a blown head gasket. I maintained the regular maintenance schedule and I think that had a lot to do with it. But like yours, it used virtually no oil and I can only recall having it tuned up once.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News and Views Message Boards
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    I had two Nissan trucks from that era. The original had no problems if you don't count an alternator way too early and a little bolt that found a way to loosen itself on our bad NM roads. Unfortunately, that little bolt held the entire transmission gear shifting mechanism in place. Anyway, the next Nissan (4WD) had the dual-plug heads, which we managed to totally massage out of their grooves. Didn't take long to make a new extension spark-plug (home-made)tool to tighten plugs just about every time we needed gas. Then there was a really bad hot-start problem with the carb, then the transfer case started slipping out of low and according to the dealer where I traded it in at 78,000 miles - all the u-joints were shot. We enjoyed the truck, but after a little less than 4 years it suffered badly from our bad NM roads. Plus, there was very obvious rust on the outer panels, the paint was awful. OK - I like the F-150's we have bought since so much more. They don't rust - the spark-plugs don't fall out and the drivetrain stays solid. Yes, we do use these trucks like they should have been built to handle and I don't think the Nissans held up anywhere near as well as they should have.
  • Options
    chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    My trucks first engine went 250k or so, only problems were a couple of exhaust manifolds that cracked. Nothing else, original tranny went strong till 330,000, this truck was used to tow and commute. I got it from my grandpa when he got a new K1500.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    That pickup of mine was one of the last that they used steel welds on, so yes, the bed of the truck suffered from a severe case of the rusts by the time I was done with it. But it wasn't bad considering the way I used the truck and the fact that I had no garage. Ahhh... I do miss that truck!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News and Views Message Boards
This discussion has been closed.