Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Third-Row Seat Access and Comfort - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Toyota
imageThird-Row Seat Access and Comfort - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Toyota Highlander can seat up to eight people. So how well are those folks in the third row seat going to fit?

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

Or you could get a minivan :D

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Or you could get a minvan. Absolutely.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2014

They aren't as squared off, but honestly, if you look at big SUVs, the main differences compared to a minivan seem to be a bit more ground clearance, AWD availability and the lack of sliders.

I love my sliding doors, don't need AWD, but more ground clearance would be nice for the back roads.

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

@stever, wait, what's this you're saying about taking a minivan on back roads?!

What about 4WD, ladder frames, transfer cases, aggressive tires, bad mileage, and a heavy curb weight... Are you implying that I shouldn't spend more for things that I don't need and a vehicle that is less conducive to my lifestyle?

Are you mad, man?!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2014

You should have seen the oil pan on our old Quest. Load it down and head for the free forest service campgrounds, or even better, a wide spot off an old logging road.

Lord knows the trouble I have jumping curbs at Kroger though. It is maddening. B)

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599

Third row access looks good. My CX-9 has more headroom though and it's not the most spacious 3rd row by any stretch. Still, this is a much better third row in terms of space a flexibility than the previous Highlander.

• twhoustontwhouston Member Posts: 3

It's pretty terrible compared to many other third rows. I climbed in one at the Auto show and it is significantly less roomy than that of the Durango, Explorer, Flex, CX9, Enclave, Traverse, Pathfinder, Pilot, and Santa Fe. I would say all the others are comfortable enough for at least medium size adults or teenagers. The Highlanders is only sufficient for children under 12. The only ones worse are in the Kia Sorento or Acura MDX.

• redwoodaggieredwoodaggie Member Posts: 4
    We bought ours understanding that the 3rd row is really for kids, or our dog. The more than spacious 2nd row makes up for it, though the kid seat leaves us with one rear adult spot.