Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

brake and cradle problems on 2000 Impala

curious2000curious2000 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
My parents own a 2000 Impala. The first problem they had, was a shimmy in the steering wheel when the brakes were applied. This car has less than 20,000 miles on it. They turned the brake rotors at the dealership and said that this would fix the problem. On the return trip, they noticed another noise. They should have immediately returned the car to the dealership and twisted some ears in my opinion, but, when the checked the car again, the cradle was bad under the car. The past experiences with this dealership, with an Oldsmobile, they rotated the tires and did other service work, and the car immediately wore the tires out and road like a wagon. Then the transmission went out with under 20000 miles on this auto. Are there any more people have this problem, or should I push for them to call General Motors and complain?

Comments

• Options
    wwnfwwnf Member Posts: 40
    I have had my rotors turned twice, I'm looking into replacing them because everyone, mechanics, have been telling that they are cheap rotors and my Impala is under braked. SO, I"m going to get high performance rotors and brakes because I like the car. As for the engine cradle they installed the shim fix on the two mounts. Took care of the poping noises. I've heard of others getting new cradles and the 2001 cradle has extra welds to prevent the extra flexing in this area. If I ever have a problem with this again, they'll get a lot of complaining from me because I asked for a new cradle.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    For plent 'up-to-date' information on the 2000 Impala cradle issues, follow this link...

Owner's Clubs>Chevrolet>Chevrolet Impala

See ya there!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Clunk/Pop Noise From Front of Vehicle (Shim Rear Frame/Cradle Mounts)
    TSB #00-08-61-003
    Clunk/Pop Noise From Front Of Vehicle (Shim Rear Frame/Cradle Mounts)
    2000 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

Condition
    Some customers may comment about a clunk or pop type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This condition can be duplicated and is most apparent during either a heavy acceleration from a stop or moderate to heavy brake apply at low speeds.

Cause
    This condition may be caused by fore/aft movement of the two rear frame/cradle mounts in the frame/cradle assembly.
This discussion has been closed.