Do I need an abandoned vehicle title?

djkfunkdjkfunk Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Saturn

I financed a 1997 Saturn SL2 in October 2010 in Florida. Late in 2011, I moved to Colorado. I continued making payments until May 2013, when all of a sudden, the company I financed the car from (also the dealer) suddenly disappeared. Their website (where I made payments) was down, their phone was disconnected...poof...gone. I assumed they went out of business or got purchased, and expected to receive a call or letter from another company stating that I would be making payments to them...but I never heard anything. The worst part is, I only had 5 payments left and I would have owned the car.

My question is: how can I (or CAN I) get a title for the vehicle? Do I need to apply for an abandoned vehicle title? Not sure if this qualifies as abandoned....but I made payments on the car for 2 and a half years and made every effort to contact the dealer/financer.

Thanks in advance


  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

    I'd call or visit the Colorado DMV office nearest you and ask. Someone there probably has seen something similar. Here's how they do it in Washington State.

Sign In or Register to comment.