Options

Interior Controls Not Always Easy To Use - 2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Acura
imageInterior Controls Not Always Easy To Use - 2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

A long road trip and plenty of in-town errands resulted in a healthy mix of fuel mileage numbers for our 2014 Acura MDX this month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    chaser2008chaser2008 Member Posts: 4

This is one of the things that drives me crazy about the system. When trying to pinpoint a location using the knob, it continually overshoots the location that I am trying to select on the map.

The lag is no joke. Not only does the system require 2+ steps to execute a simple command (i.e. seat heaters, fresh/recirc, text replies) but sometimes the lag is so long that you think that the system froze up. So when you re-enter the command while it is lagging, it ends up choosing something else. I've tried to outsmart it by pressing the correct command sequence hoping that the intended action is ultimately chosen. Nope, it gets stuck on the second step. This can be very dangerous when driving.

Sometimes I think that the Honda/Acura engineers think that we should be solely relying upon the voice recognition system. Aside from not recognizing my commands that well, I don't like interrupting the stereo or having to speak over my noisy kids in the back. I would gladly take a button cluttered center console over this system.

• Options
    rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144

Not meaning to offend anyone, but all who complain about this deserve it. You are the people who reward this substandard engineering by purchasing it. Now, not necessarily reflecting on you, chaser, too many people are attaching way, way too much importance on the "tech." I'm seeing a trend too often where someone spends top dollar on a new vehicle. Upon just sitting in it, I can instantly feel thousands of dollars shaved off the material cost and wonder to myself, "So how long will it take for him to catch on?" The reason they got duped was the center console with a backup camera because that's all they talk about. Now, it's getting harder and harder to find a new car for a fair price that actually has quality materials and construction, while employing decent quality, user-friendly controls. Instead, we get Walmart quality cars for the price of a small house.

• Options
    tirekickingtirekicking Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2014

Every car has deficiencies. So no matter which car you buy you will ALWAYS "reward substandard engineering by purchasing it." At some point you just have to pick the car that offends you the least while giving you a smile when paying for it. In the end, it's all perspective and it is just a car.

Acura did blow it by making some functions ridiculously cumbersome to operate. Fan up/down, heated seats on/up/down, no dials for temp, etc etc. Buttons and dials, please!!!!

• Options
    lime679lime679 Member Posts: 38

The one thing I just noticed on my Acura after purchasing it is that there is no sync button for the driver and front passenger which drives me a little crazy. I dislike having to use both buttons. If I speak the command, it changes the temp for both but I feel silly doing that with people in the car.

• Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Ironic that so many auto journalists panned previous generation Honda/Acura for having so many buttons on their center stack. Also ironic is that with the new TLX, everyone and their grandma is clamoring for a wagon variant. With the TSX, Acura did just that, and hardly any were sold. It seems people like to complain about not having something and then when they get it, they like the old way better. I personally am happy that my 2006 RL and 2008 RDX both have the old layout with lots of buttons on the stack.

• Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

@lime679 said:
    The one thing I just noticed on my Acura after purchasing it is that there is no sync button for the driver and front passenger which drives me a little crazy. I dislike having to use both buttons. If I speak the command, it changes the temp for both but I feel silly doing that with people in the car.

Strange. My older Acuras both had a sync button. Could your sync button be hidden in the touchscreen display?

• Options

@schen: I thought that too but no such luck. On my 08 TL-S there was a sync button and even the 08 RL. But after that, no sync. The buttons on the dash changed from 08 to 09 and apparently before there was no fan speed button on the RL. I guess I'd rather have fan speed buttons than a sync button anyway. Ultimately, I'd like all of them.

• Options
    lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68

There's a sync touch button on the MDX and TLX in the lower screen. You can find manuals btw on owners.acura.com.
    I also don't get why this row of virtual A/C buttons are not physical buttons:-(.

• Options

Thanks for the tip. Been there and done that. I am happy to have an Acura prior to this dual screen crap so I have one big screen high up.

• Options
    ams332ams332 Member Posts: 1

Can anyone comment on the LCD screens and wearing polarized sunglasses? My co-worker had a '14 MDX as a loaner and I was shocked that I could not see the screen with my Oakley's. I do not have this issue on my TSX with Navigation. Given how critical a role the touch screen plays in so many functions of the vehicle I was surprised by this. This, in my mind, is made worse by the fact that the system's use is very complicated. A quick Google search suggests some have this issue and it was noted by one other publication. Since the editors have reached 20,000 miles I'm wondering if anyone has noticed this and if living with it is as difficult as I am imagining it would be? I was otherwise impressed with the car.