Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently tried to lease a vehicle again after your last lease ended, and found that average monthly payments have gone so far up that you decided to get a cheaper vehicle with a lower monthly payment or purchase a used car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, October 18, 2018 telling us a little about your experience, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Mercedes-Benz G-class (Geländewagen)

Comments

• thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I can help but simpatize with you, that is a joke in BAD TASTE, the Gwagen is as good as a jeep.

Just to highlite the difference between Mercedes and Jeep or any other manufacturer as a matter of fact, I decided to buy a new cab for my Unimog since I have corrosion (because of several years of use as a salt spreader and snow removal) and after 25 years is got wear on it, the restoration is going to the bare bones, a new cab will make it look like new, it started as an idea, I had to cut the metal in the floor and shape new ones and weld them onto existing metal, to aline the mounts with the point of support in the chassis would requiere hard work, more than what I want to chew, if I was on my twenties or thirties or even in my forties it would have been done by now, anyway I thought about buying a new cab, and do you now what, they make them, 4,500$ brand new from the factory, needless to say it's on it's way from Germany, who else but Mercedes will pull that one.
  • ees1996ees1996 Posts: 31
    Lots of gadets are in the G5. That is the high point. As far as looks it will evolve just as range rover has become more stylish.
  • bwhbwh Posts: 76
    Wake up dude, it has looked exactly the same for over twenty years! It will not change until it is replaced by an almost certainly inferior successor.
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    I hope it doesnt change. I like the look of the current G. Then they added the S-Class interior.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    http://mbspy.bacosys.be/g55l.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    "The flatter the sheetmetal, the more it's meant for offroad".

Is there anything else as flat as a Gwagen?? Maybe CJ Jeeps, Rovers and Hummers. All pretty hardcore trucks.
    Ah ha, how about a bus? :-)
  • rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    There were three on the AMG lot.

Another thing that I never knew is that the headlamp adjustment for the G is manual. On all of the other cars I saw and drove they are electronic headlamp controls.

R
    What, you've never seen a Greyhound offroading? You can lift one of those things 5 or 6 feet. And talk about tall tires!

Getting around switchbacks is a bit of a chore with all that backing, but the oversize steering wheel makes it a breeze. And the approach angles are unbelievable!
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    in that Subaru commercial where the yellow school bus was transformed into an SUV?
    There ya go! I could remember the ad but not the source. Mmmmm-mmmmmm-mmmmmmmmm, now there's a rig any G-wagen owner will envy.
    Seeing as how my G is about the same size externally as a Disco, yet far more accomodating inside. Actually the Unimog caught my eye as the next step in extreme vehicles. I just picked up a '71 416. Not as big as a bus but maybe as tall.
    I park next to a G-wagen fairly often and I've been able to crawl around and under it. It's maybe a foot shorter and narrower than the Disco, and not as tall. Ground clearance (breakover) is much less, though mine is lifted a little. Approach and departure angles are about the same, but everything inside looks like the same grade packaging as a late 60s/early 70s BMW... rough, square, unfinished. Definitely not as refined as the Disco. From inside the wheelwells and from the rear everything has a tacked-on look. Things just don't look like they "fit" together, as if much of it was afterthought.

Underneath, I don't see anything as stout as my Disco, and its packaging is nowhere near as efficient. Take away the locking diffs, and the G I've seen isn't as impressive as a breathed-on CJ.

But a 'Mog... NOW you're talking! I have some pictures of my Disco next to one from a couple summers ago. It was driven from Norway and had the most gorgeous stainless steel camper on back. The doors were like walk-in freezers, they had a huge snorkle up the side of the cab, and 4 wheels/tires above the cab. What a beast! From 100' away it made my Disco look like a Tonka toy.

Regards, -Bob
    Have you had a chance to take a look at the newer G-wagens? The interior is much improved from the utilitarian 1980's versions. Here's a link :-)

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/future/future/main.jsp&modelCode=G500

MotorVision had a comparison between the old G-wagens and the current ones. The differences are very significant!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Yeah, I know... I'm just blowing his skirt up. psst: don't tell him! The new Rovers are as much improved over the Series Rovers as the new Gs are over the old ones.

But what I still don't get is everyone's Brand Loyalty... a 4WD with low range, locking diffs, long travel coil suspension, short overhangs, sufficient breakover clearance and solid axles is going to go places that 99.9% of owners don't even want to attempt. Once you fit the right parts, it doesn't matter if it's a CJ or a G500.
    Hi, I'm Drew, not Steve ;-)
    If you're Drew then you'll know the Number of the Secret Decoder Ring.

:) Sorry.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    No biggie - I'm starting to answer to Drew half the time anyway as it is. Let's blame your lapse on that "dreary" weather today, shall we :-) (judging by the web cam, you guys did have an interesting morning).

Steve (the other Drew)
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

We've got a severe weather alert now (snicker) they're calling for an additional 8 to 10" tonight.

Holy smokes, where'd all these Cheechakos come from? When I was just a little doorslammer I'd walk 10 miles to school, uphill both ways, barefoot in a blizzard. I'd stop to milk the cows along the way, but I'd carry the milk in a teaspoon 'cause we didn't have a bucket, and it took 40 trips but I was GLAD for the work!

See why I drive an SUV? :)
    Sometimes I just assume it's Steve typing because I don't see Drew posting a lot.

Besides, the word "host" in bold red catches all the attention.
    Funny, I didn't have to fit any parts to my Gwagen to conquer the Moab Rim trail. Good luck on that one with your Disco, HA! Sure you could make it if you fitted lockers, until the wimpy hubs, axles and diffs in the Rover explode like the Lucas electrics, HA! Frame and suspension not as heavy as the Disco, check again after your LSD wears off, HA! Fact is the Gwagen frame material is nearly twice as thick as that used by Rover. Did you notice the tubular crossmember tubes that pass through the frame rails and are welded inside and out? I bet ONE of my forged steel trailing arms wieghs as much as all four of yours. Equal approach angle in back, HA! you must be kidding, Rovers are butt dragers by any standard. Better breakover, not likely, besides when mine hits bottom it is all frame, yours removes the transfer case LOL. To even mention a CJ is absurd, ask a CJ owner that really off-roads how many times his frame has had to welded. It will probably have more repair welds than the factory used to assemble the heep, I meant Jeep, sorry. The Gwagen has no equal, but nice try.
    We got BWH stirred up now! Yahoo! Better do some more crawling around under a Rover, my friend. You're wrong on every count except the tubular cross-members... they are indeed tubular. This isn't the 70s anymore. Whoops... correction, I refer to the DI. The DII has, in my opinion, gone too far from its roots.

There's a shop here called Northern 4x4 you'd like. Their employees drive all kinds of exotic trucks, including a very cool Pinzgauer. The owner flew his CJ to a competition/expedition somewhere south of the equator last spring, and won the thing. It is a truly fearsome CJ, with nary a frame weld in sight.
    I went and drove/inspected a Disco a month or two ago. Cramped interior, pathetic V8, which I was told by the salesman will blow its headgaskets, but don't worry it usually happens under warranty. You may want to look closer at the G, anybody with functional eyeballs can attest to the Gwagen having much heftier components. Wrong am I? So Rovers don't break axles and diffs? Thats funny, hanging around the rover boards seems to tell a different story than the one you preach. Do I sense a bit of that crazy brand loyalty in your post? I know it is hard(impossible) for you rover guys to accept the facts. If I am wrong on every count I would love to meet you in Moab. Your Disco wouldn't make it, well maybe if you winch it up the tough stuff. As for these modified Jeeps and such, lets see you make it a daily driver as well. I suspect it also had a custom beefed frame, they are for sale in every 4x4 mag out there. Gee, I wonder why that would be?

I drove a Pinzie in Atlanta last weekend when I picked up the Mog. Really a cool truck, next on my list. I was particularly impressed by its on road abilities. It could work as a regular driver, unless of course your in a hurry.
  • Hello "nanuq", fancy meeting you here!

While I love my 00 Disco II, my ultimate goal is to own a 3-door G-wagen. They are the ULTIMATE off-roader and my dream for 40 years. I almost bought one once while driving through Santa Fe. I had a new MB 320 sedan and almost traded even for an 85 G280 with 75000 miles. But common sense overcame my lust! But I will have one someday! Until then, I'll enjoy my LR.

PS: I can tell that "bwh" loves the G - good for you! I'm right behind you.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    "The all-new G500 incorporates a much more militaristic exterior then its smooth-looking M-Class counterparts."

Mercedes adds another SUV to lineup

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • wolfxwolfx Posts: 72
    i've heard complaints that the C, E, and S series have been compromised by "cheaper" build to increase profits and lower prices to attract a larger audience, and that the only models left that are still "over engineered" are the CL and SL series. Would the G series be considered another "over engineered" benz?
  • I lied when I said I've wanted a G for 40 years - they were not built back then. But I still want one. A white 3-door G280 just showed up on a used car lot in my town, it's pretty rough and abused, and $ 23,000. Our MB dealer has already sold 10 new G500's, sight unseen - they also have a used 2000 G500 for $82,000 (a "bargain" since it cost almost $ 140,000 new), but they don't think they can sell it since a new one is "only" @ $ 75,000.

I guess I'll just keep waiting, and hoping! And yes, they are over-engineered, overbuilt, and the only vehicle still hand-built all the way.
    There's actually a vehicle named "Disco?" LMAO!

What next, the "New Wave?"
  • Disco = DISCOvery (Land Rover)
    Thanks heavens for that! I said to myself "Disco - must be some European model."

Boy do I feel foolish.
This discussion has been closed.