Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz G-class (Geländewagen)

Comments

• rexconde1rexconde1 Posts: 278
    Why dont we add the Unimog to the Title?

Robert
  • sorry i should have known where my own vehicle was made, im not really a european person, but i just assumed they were made in Germany.
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    Congratulations! I hope you have a positive experience.

You must have come in contact or got too close to one, carefull they are addictive.

A fellow in New York told me that and he endep up owning about a dozen, I already have two.
  • thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    I was looking at a 1999-2000 G-Class Owner's manual and it explains about the Parktronic feature with rear sensors in rear bumper and a rear pillar mounted Warning Display. I wonder if this will be available in the 1st US versions to be release late this year or early next?

Also, the manual shows the MB grill guard as being a fold down unit to access the lights and grill for maintenance... pretty neat... wonder how much this option will cost?
  • bwhbwh Posts: 76
    You can see the standard features on MBusa's web site. I am pretty sure parktronic is standard. The grille gaurd used to go for $1100 from the importer in Santa Fe, no clue if MB dealers will have them or at what cost. I had one on my 300GE, not only does it fold down but easily comes right off minus a couple little bumper brackets using just the supplied tool. It is a pretty beefy unit too, much better than any I have seen.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• agh15agh15 Posts: 90
    I wonder if G-500 will be reliable when it comes out
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    First Look: 2002 Mercedes-Benz G500

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

The Edmunds review stinks! Typical of a tester that has NO knowledge of the vehicle whatsoever. Of course I know Edmunds is catering to the masses. What is wrong is that the G does not. There was a stupid comment under one of the pictures stating how the G was as good as a Jeep off road. Fact is Jeeps cannot touch the Gs off road prowess. I had to write a letter to C and D a while back when they wrote a dumb review like Edmunds. I have to agree that if you intend to use it as a car there are many better ways to spend your money. But if you want the ultimate practical off roader, hand built to last a lifetime, look no further than the G wagen.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    Got another link for you :-)

Send a letter to the editors

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I can help but simpatize with you, that is a joke in BAD TASTE, the Gwagen is as good as a jeep.

Just to highlite the difference between Mercedes and Jeep or any other manufacturer as a matter of fact, I decided to buy a new cab for my Unimog since I have corrosion (because of several years of use as a salt spreader and snow removal) and after 25 years is got wear on it, the restoration is going to the bare bones, a new cab will make it look like new, it started as an idea, I had to cut the metal in the floor and shape new ones and weld them onto existing metal, to aline the mounts with the point of support in the chassis would requiere hard work, more than what I want to chew, if I was on my twenties or thirties or even in my forties it would have been done by now, anyway I thought about buying a new cab, and do you now what, they make them, 4,500$ brand new from the factory, needless to say it's on it's way from Germany, who else but Mercedes will pull that one.
  • ees1996ees1996 Posts: 31
    Lots of gadets are in the G5. That is the high point. As far as looks it will evolve just as range rover has become more stylish.
    Wake up dude, it has looked exactly the same for over twenty years! It will not change until it is replaced by an almost certainly inferior successor.
    I hope it doesnt change. I like the look of the current G. Then they added the S-Class interior.
    http://mbspy.bacosys.be/g55l.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    "The flatter the sheetmetal, the more it's meant for offroad".

Is there anything else as flat as a Gwagen?? Maybe CJ Jeeps, Rovers and Hummers. All pretty hardcore trucks.
    Ah ha, how about a bus? :-)
    There were three on the AMG lot.

Another thing that I never knew is that the headlamp adjustment for the G is manual. On all of the other cars I saw and drove they are electronic headlamp controls.

R
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    What, you've never seen a Greyhound offroading? You can lift one of those things 5 or 6 feet. And talk about tall tires!

Getting around switchbacks is a bit of a chore with all that backing, but the oversize steering wheel makes it a breeze. And the approach angles are unbelievable!
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    in that Subaru commercial where the yellow school bus was transformed into an SUV?
This discussion has been closed.