Dash Creak Is Back - 2014 Mazda Mazda3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,237
edited September 2014 in Mazda
imageDash Creak Is Back - 2014 Mazda Mazda3 S Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Mazda 3 has an annoying dash creak.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Things like this are where you really need an audio file or YouTube video included. Nothing sophisticated, just take it with your phone. I would like to know what "dash creak" sounds like. Is it loud? Annoying or just slight?

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

@kirkhilles1: I could be wrong, but it seems like actually catching that creak among all the ambient road noise with low level recording equipment would be quite hard.

• ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2014

It actually is quite hard to capture such a sounds amidst the relatively high noise floor of a car- unless you have a really good microphone and audio equipment. But a simple iphone recording is very tough- I know because I tried to capture an annoying door creak on my previous Mazda 6. What's funny/frustrating is that I did capture an annoying rattle from the passenger seat but the dealer said they could not make it out- even when I was standing there and pointing it out.

That said, my guess is that the creak is the result of parts expanding and contracting with weather and temperature conditions. Creaking when parts expand and silence when they cool off and contract.

• jessemellon1jessemellon1 Member Posts: 0

I've brought mine back to the dealer five or six times now. They've performed the TSB several times, but the creaking always comes back within a few days. Can't stand being in the car anymore, as the noise is all I hear.

• jules008jules008 Member Posts: 2
    Back in May I took my 2014 Mazda 3 S Touring into the dealership. They did a thorough job of trying to find where the noise was coming from, but couldn't pin point it and so weren't able to fix it. At that time they weren't aware of a TSB. The car still makes the noise so I'm going to take it back to them for another go. The TSB I found is 09-001/14 but it describes a rattling noise occurring when the car is driven over rough roads or bumps...mine is more of clicking, creaking noise that can happen at any time in any conditions, hot or cold, and is as if something is too tight. It is intermittent and seems to come from the front left of the dash.
  • jules008jules008 Member Posts: 2
    Oct. 23 and still creaking. Dealership had another crack at it. Had the car for the whole day, & couldnt fix it. Said they performed TSB 09-001/14 repair, but not corrected by this SB. They are contacting Mazda Hotline to see what the next step is.