Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• kudikudi Member Posts: 8
    Former owner of an 81 Accord. Although it ran great, it rusted out above the wheels and below the doors and didn't pass inspection. Three years later, followed by a month of test drives & painful negotiations, I am the new owner of a 2003 Accord LX Manual, sliver, 4-door! Even though it isn't perfect (some minor scratches on the interior of the glass covering the odometer, the telescoping steering wheel making getting out of the car without bumping my knee a bit more interesting), I've been very pleased with everyting else (ride, comfort, acceleration...)for the 24 odd miles that I've driven it so far! We'll see how it and my attitude holds up!
  • m9431m9431 Member Posts: 38
    My 4th Honda, this one a Japanese-made Accord LX. Nice car but I made the "mistake" of driving a VW--I want to sell my new Accord!
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    I got a '03 Accord LX sedan on Saturday. What a great car! I look forward to discussing a lot of things with you folks.
  • km1akm1a Member Posts: 4
    I've a '03 Graphite pearl EXl w/smoke gray light shadow tint on the windows. This is a beautiful car inside and out.
  • maxpower02maxpower02 Member Posts: 103
    I have my 03Sedan EXV6 for 3 weeks now. Graphite pearl.

Hey km1a, it is a beautiful color, saw a recent commercial for Accord, was the Graphite Pearl.

By the way, how many graphite pearl Accords have you seen. I've seen lots of silver, a few white, couple of gold, 1 blue & red-and if I run into you (Brooklyn), yours will be the first gray!
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Hi everyone. Joining the group to be a "better-informed" Honda owner and to enjoy this virtual Honda community.

Bought first Honda in 1997 and most recently, an 03 EX-L auto.

Owned and test-driven other car brands in between, with the conclusion that Honda for the mainstream cars has probably the best engine and suspension technology. Ergonomics and interior design are also superior to most brands and exterior styling, if not the most appealing, is at least original. Overall, an "intelligent" car.

I'm just as concerned about the transmission issue but, based on experience and from what I've read, it appears to afflict more the V-6 rather than the 4-cylinder models. I've had 3 Hondas since 97, all with the automatic/4-cyl combination with no transmission problems.

Recently, I've test-driven the Camry and Altima. The Accord tops the two in many aspects, giving up only quietness to the Camry and perhaps body style to the Altima.

Well, I look forward to being of help, where I can, to anyone and sharing Honda stories with everyone else.
    Oh yes, my 03 is also in graphite pearl. Inside, the brushed aluminum accent is nice & modern but may have been nicer if combined with wood, which Mercedes Benz successfully blended in one interior. Or maybe that's asking too much for now.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    My LX is Graphite Pearl as well. The more I llok at my car the more I am convinced that I made the right color choice.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Graphite Pearl was one of our top 3 color choices but we had to take what we could find in the EX-L 5-speed coupe. They don't seem to be making very many of them yet so we ended up with the only one we could find which was a silver one. I live near Atlanta and I have seen more silver than anything else. Followed by blue which was another one of our top 3.
  • howardnhowardn Member Posts: 13
    in ref to post #97 from alkanx, pads on my '00 EX are shot at 33K...i suppose it depends on type of driving. I do mostly stop and go.
    Dealer wants $245 for front pads and rotor resurface....but local garage will do it with honda pads for $170.
    Also the Michelin MXV4s original equipment...front treadwear also looks excessive for mileage. Maybe rotating is a good idea
  • jimbo65jimbo65 Member Posts: 65
    Owner of a brand new 2003 LX automatic (love it!), and still own a 1996 LX automatic 90,202 miles with original brakes (great car, bought it new)! First Honda was an 1989 Accord LX 5 spd. man. bought it used with 118,000 miles on it, ran it 6 years and to 220,000 miles (it was a good car that could really go, traded it in very good condition yet. Honda engineering is superb!
    2015 CR-V EX-L 2WD = One Sweet Ride :p
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    33k on a set of pads is not too bad.. the difference between the dealer and the local shop is probably a labor charge differential, either that or the parts are just that much more at the dealer.

Have you been rotating the tires every 5-6k? If not, its not all tht unusual for them to wear out in 30k since the front tires take all the abuse on FWD vehicles...

You might already know that torque-tightening the wheel studs prevents rotor warping, resurfacing and eventually expensive replacement.

My 99 Accord's brake pads were replaced at about 28k (rear) and 45k (front) with rotor resurfacing each time.

Discovered later that if they had been torqued, rotor heat dissipation after hard braking would have been even, avoiding warpage.

Quite simple, but it's surprising how many shops don't practice it.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...also consider avoiding puddles. Hot rotors and cold water do not mix well.
    "...also consider avoiding puddles. Hot rotors and cold water do not mix well."

Excellent input. And since I've been recently doing the manual carwash, it's a good reminder not to power-spray the wheels as well.
  • lshaw3lshaw3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi
    I am new to this, but would love some input. I signed a contract for a 2003 Ex manual on 9/28. The dealer told me he couldn't put the order in until the end of October. The build date was suppose to be 12/18-22 but now the dealer tells me that they have moved the build date to 1/7-12. Is this customary to wait so long. I am getting a little antsy.
    Thanks
  • tailstootailstoo Member Posts: 8
    I don't know why it would take so long to get a manual EX. You might want to check around with other dealers in your area.

I just bought an 03 Silver Manual EX-L on 10/11 out here in Dallas, and supposedly the dealer had two others on hand.
    lshaw ... is it a coupe or a sedan and does it have leather? We were looking for a EX-L 5-speed and had a deposit down on one that was supposed to be built on the 14th ... well, it was never built and they told us production was moved back to the first week in January. So we got our money back. It's looking as if the 5-speeds will be pretty rare. You might want to try www.carsdirect.com or just try all of your local dealers til you find one.
  • shadowfax2shadowfax2 Member Posts: 22
    Hi all:

I own two Hondas, one for free and the other just purchased new.

I have a 03 graphite pearl EX-V6, leather interior, and so far so good. I test drove the Passat, Maxima, Altima, Camry and Mazda6 - all good cars worth considering. The Accord was just the right one for me. If my first few weeks of ownership are any indication the Accord will be the best car I ever owned. Note: My partner has an '00 LX 4 cyl. It's a good car, but has much more an "economy car" feel than the new V6.

My "other" Honda is a 1989 4 cyl DX with over 200,000 miles. My daughter "inherited" this car from someone who just got tired of driving it -- they couldn't wear it out. We bomb around town in it...it's a stick shift. If it holds up, will teach my son how to drive a stick using this car.

Good luck to all. I'm happy and proud to be among such well-informed auto buyers :).
    I ordered a Green without leather 4dr sedan EX 5 speed. I quess part of the problem is color. I called a couple of other dealers in the state and they did a search within the northeast region and found only 3 others, all on order. They were surprised at the length of time and speculate that maybe the order went in late. My dealer says that the manufacturer will wait until they have enough of the same orders for color to proceed. Don't know whether that is true or not. We waited 8 months for our PT crusier, but expected that because of the demand at the time. I don't want to wait so long with this Honda however...but its a great car. I have a 94' LX with 140,000 that I just finally am tired of, will give to my daughter. Great car.
    Maybe you should try and get your deposit back and go through www.carsdirect.com. They will search for your car within whatever mile range you tell them to. You might have to drive a little bit but it would be worth it. Their prices are also VERY competitive. At least in this area. Also, Honda doesn't work on an order system. They allocate cars to dealers based on their sales volumes. At least that's the story I got from 3 of my local dealers.
    Hmmm...so that means if we are a small town (only one dealer) and they aren't selling cars then my car won't be coming to them until they do? Hmmm...I went to carsdirect, but didn't want to give them credit card information just yet, they are also $600.00 higher in price and state that their price is not negotiable.
    If Honda were building the car they promised you back in October they would've had it by now. It's been almost 3 months I would definitely get my money back and go elsewhere. $600 may seem like alot but think of the money you are saving since Honda has 3.49% financing available right now. Also, try another area. If you don't mind the drive they are going for invoice or below here in GA.
  • brandon17brandon17 Member Posts: 9
    I had a very good search, buying and driving home experience with my new accord that I wanted to pass it along. I have purchased many cars but I never have received the service and respect that I got from Coggin Honda in Ft. Pierce Florida. No, I'm not a saleman, just someone who finally enjoyed the buying experience. First, I negotiated over the internet with other dealers, then I went to my local dealer and met up with Gary and Rob who showed me the car, then I gave them my best quote off the internet and they beat it. I paid $24,029 for an Accord EX V6, Silver with Black Interior - I love it!! I added a spoiler ($500) and the EX 4 cylinder wheels at no charge - plus a tint job - boy, this car looks fantastic and definately a head turner. I have no complaints. I only have 500 miles, but I am very happy with my purchase and would do it again and again - especially if I had the easy sales staff that I had at Coggin Honda. I leased my accord for 36 months @ 15k miles/year. I look forward to getting my new accord in 3 years from Coggin. The silver with black leather is awesome. . . and stays cleaner longer!! I'll never own black again. I feel like I just gave birth without the pain - maybe an epidural? -Accord Lover
    Thanks for your thoughts. I have had several "outside of area" dealers check the Northeast region and it appears that my car is on the list...at least one just like it is scheduled to be built between 1/7 and 1/12 for my dealer! I quess they don't have much control over the build date being changed. With the winter being what it has been (another 16 inches of snow this weekend to add to the 30" we received christmas day), I will just be patient and hold out, at least for now. The difference in the monthly payment is only $12 at this point.
    We just bought black. My last 3 cars were black and we swore we wouldn't buy another black car but it just wasn't meant to be. Had to buy what we could find since we are of a rather impatient sort.

lshaw: You are right. Honda dictates the build date. But it stinks anyways. Maybe you will get lucky and they will start offering 0.0%.
  • treostertreoster Member Posts: 74
    Here's another vote for the 2003 Accord EX-L V6 with Navigation in Graphite Pearl. Defnitely the best color combo (with gray interior and brushed aluminum accents).
  • lax2005lax2005 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased Ex-V6 (Dec.21, 2002), no navig. for $23,500, plus Tax & Tags. So far the vehicle is very nice. My only complaint...wish it had a softer ride. Love the power.
    Hi
    Well the vin # arrived last Tues (1/14) hopefully I will have the car by the end of the month. Fingers crossed ! :-) LShaw
    Congratulations! We just took ours on a 1100 mile trip and love it even more now. This car is a great highway car. Smooth engine, roomy (even in coupe form), dual-zone climate control prevented some bickering I'm sure :) , and even though the engine is still fairly new and we were going 80MPH most of the way we averaged 30MPG. A little off the 34MPG mark but I'm sure it will get closer as the engine breaks in and we get our first oil change,
    Well, the wait is over. To delivery of new EX on Tuesday, 1/21. Am loving every minute of it. It's more car than I expected, not having had a new one in 9 years. It handles so nicely. Still have to get used to those AB Brakes though!
  • stragglerstraggler Member Posts: 3
    As I posted in another thread, we had tested all the others, Altima, Camry, Mazda 6. We went to the Honda dealer to test a 2003 Accord but they still had a new 2002 Accord EX-L outfitted just as I wanted. Black, Leather, 5 speed; 6 pack CD player.

I took delivery last Friday. I love this car!

My last car was an Oldsmobile 88 Royale LS. This car is just about as big and certainly as comfortable. Gave up a seriously powerful V6 for a 4 cylinder which concerned me a bit. But this car is a joy to drive.
  • nfjimcnfjimc Member Posts: 21
    Take ownership of a '03 EX tomorrow, my first expierience with Honda. Was originally going to go with the Graphite Pearl but after seeing it next to a Silver model, I decided to go with the Silver. Previously have owned a Toyota and was extremely pleased with it throughout it's 125k+ life time. Test drove the new Mazda6 and was not impressed with the 4 banger. Typical feeling of the engine working hard to get it up to speed. Already ordered the splash guards from Handa-accessories and plan on installing them this weekend.
    liked the graphite better! I installed the splash guards from Handa, just make sure you have a phillips head screwdriver that fits between the back wheel and the rear inner fender. I used a small swivel rachet head with a phillips socket. There is only an inch or so to play with. The fronts were easy because you can turn the wheel out of the way! Good luck! Your going to love this car!!
  • idsrvagidsrvag Member Posts: 1
    Last night I drove home my 03 Accord Sedan EX V6. This is the first morning in quite some time that I am looking forward to the commute!
    I also look forward to comparing notes with other forum members!
    So far so good, but can you please tell me how in the world you got that back screw in without pulling the rear wheels off? Have enjoyed driving the car so far and have not experienced any of the vibrations that many folks have mentioned in other forums. Car is quiet and feels solid. I think you're right about me loving the car, of course ask me in two or three years! Thanks.
  • mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    I encountered the same problem as yourself when I attempted to install the mudguards. You have to find yourself a "Stubby" screwdriver, in other words find one that has a short, preferably <3 inches long.
    I have a stubby but no way can I exert enough force in that small space to get the self tapping screw to grab and start into the wheel well.
    It takes alittle while, its difficult to exert enough torque, but youll et it done.If all else fails try duct tape, lol.
    my neighbor had a small rachet set with phillips socket. A stubby screwdriver will not get the angle to put enough pressure on the tapping screw to turn it. Try a HomeDepot tool section, I'm sure they will have something to get the job done.
    "No Duct Tape"---BTW, The black splash guards will look great on your silver. Also, I installed the chrome exhaust tips, really gives the car a sporty look.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    My wife and I took delivery of our Accord on Feb. 10th. It is a 4 cylinder automatic with leather, and all the creature comforts. This is our 4th Honda. Previously we leased a 1997 and a 2000 Accord. We still have a 2000 Civic as part of our stable of vehicles. Having owned and / or leased Fords, Chevrolets, Buicks, AMC, Jeeps, VWs, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs we feel the Honda is by far the best vehicle in terms of quality. The 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee was the vehicle from hell in terms of drive train and electrical problems, and Chrysler was very unprofessional, in terms of "customer satisfaction". We now have 2,000 + miles on the 2003 Accord, and we highly recommed it to anyone who wants a "high quality" vehicle. Since we are purchasing this vehicle and we are planning to keep it for at least 6 years, we purchase a Honda 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty, (0 deductable), on this vehicle. -----Just my opinion. ----Greg
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I just bought a 2003 Accord EX-V6 in graphite pearl with the gray leather interior. Not only is this my first Honda, it&#146;s my first new car ever.

Compared to the 1994 Camry LE I had previously, the Accord is tighter and definitely more powerful. It does have a harsher ride than the Camry and some of the interior plastics are not as nice as the Camry&#146;s, but it&#146;s much more fun to drive. I&#146;ve been lurching all over town because I&#146;m not used to the acceleration and braking power.

I&#146;m a little nervous to give up my trusty Toyota, particularly since this is the first year of a major Accord redesign. But I was ready for something new and the Accord fit the bill, being sporty, attractive, luxurious, safe, and affordable.

I&#146;m looking forward to getting to know the car and becoming as attached to it as I was to the Camry.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    I got the same Graphite Peal V6, Gray Silver. My wife originally wanted the Redondo Red but the dealership do not have it on their lot so she decided that the Graphite is ok (that turns good for me because that is the color I want).

I expected a stiffer ride over the Camry (my choice was just either the Accord or Camry) so I am not suprised. Although I am surprised as to the tires - you can hear it and that negates the very rather quiet ride on a good road. I will need more driving, but my Michelin Cross Terrains on my SUV seem to be a better ride. Well, maybe I will change the tires someday if I save enough!

Tell us more of your experience with the car (specially things that comes up you do not like!).. Congratulations and enjoy... my wife is enjoying the car..
  • hell_patrol1hell_patrol1 Member Posts: 1
    After reading the first few pages of this thread, it seems like most of us here all have new(er) Accords. Well, I'm proud to say that mine's an '86 LXi hatchback with only (let me emphasize only) 118,000 miles on it, and it still runs like a dream. Unfortunately, I'll be selling it soon when I leave for the Army, but once I'm in a position to buy a new car, I plan on looking for a '97 SE. God, what a beautiful car....
  • tenor38tenor38 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to this forum (and especially hmurphy!) I too am a proud driver of a '03 EX-V6 Graphite Pearl Sedan. 600 miles later I have the following observations - I'm sure they are common to what others have observed:

Nimble and QUICK...I've got to constantly watch the speedomoter to make sure I don't inadvertantly find myself at 80 versus 60!

I was amazed at the size of the trunk space. It doesn't seem like it from the outside, but its cavernous in there!

Grey Leather is comfortable and the seat adjustments are awesome...I only wish there were a memory setting so I wouldn't have to readjust after my wife drives the car.

I'm a bit concerned about the bumpy ride...seems too bouncy for my tastes. Any thoughts on new tires to reduce that?

Too bad the "random" feature on the CD is not a true random - you only get to randomize a cd...not all of them at once.

Oh yes: do NOT drive down the highway with only the read windows down! I tried it and nearly had a heart attack when they started *thrumming* and vibrating so badly I thought they were going to break! I've heard that is a common issue with the Accord, and so I just do not do it anymore!

Since this is an *Accord* forum, I don't think I have to tell you how many appraising looks and complements the car gets all of the time...hope you enjoy yours as I do mine!
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    tenor38, it may help to check the tire pressure and keep it at specs before thinking of changing tires (just in case you have not done this yet)..

My wife has the same color as yours and I start to like the way it looks now...Very smooth engine though
  • lobo2458lobo2458 Member Posts: 7
    I got a 03 Accord Coupe EX-L 5sp MT a week ago.
    Color: Taffeta White. I put the rear wing spoiler and the fog lights at the dealer. I put almost all the accessories available in the car. I bought them on line at Handa.com and installed them myself. Easy to install and saved a lot of money.
    I overpaid at the dealer for the rear spoiler and the fog lights because I didn't want to deal with the electrical components of the car. The car looks sharp. More sporty that I thought. I'm 44yrs old and I wanted a car that made me feel like a 20yrs old again. Very happy with the car. My wife is already jealous at my new love. First Honda ever.
  • bluecar1bluecar1 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a Accord LX, base, graphite pearl, today. I love it very much! I owned 80 Accord, 97 Civic and 99 Accord, and loved all of them. I have to give more time to convert my wife from an Eclipse (2D) lover to the Accord lover, not only for better handling & ride but for better resale value.

Just have one question regardng the value of Honda Care. We were convinced by the loan officer at Honda and purchased a 7yr/100,000miles platinum warranty (it basically covers everything other than tear and wear) for $1600. Knowing the reliability of Honda cars, is this a bad purchase? Please give us your comments.
    I thinkt he whole point of buying a Honda warranty is piece of mind. But, if you look online you can get the same warranty for close to half that price. THe same warranty online sells for $985..

http://www.hondawarranty.com/24.cfm
  • carman54carman54 Member Posts: 14
    I have had my new Accord 2 months now and it is the tightest car I have ever driven.It feels like you are driving a car worth much more. I drove nissans for 10 years which i liked too but the build quality is superior here. The 4 cyl is very peppy and the overall feel is top notch. Honda does deserve their top reputation..
This discussion has been closed.