Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander vs Mazda CX-9 - Edmunds A-Rated Crossover SUVs Face Off Video | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Toyota
imageToyota Highlander vs Mazda CX-9 - Edmunds A-Rated Crossover SUVs Face Off Video | Edmunds.com

Two SUVs and two Edmunds.com editors Face Off: the Toyota Highlander vs the Mazda CX-9. Editors James Riswick and Mike Monticello debate the merits of each sedan, including their performance, comfort, interior, value and how much (or little) they're fun to drive. Which crossover SUV would you buy: the Toyota Highlander or Mazda CX-9?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I drive a 2009 CX-9 and I'm shocked that the CX-9 which is in most ways the same as it was in 2007 (aside from an engine upgrade in 2008). Mazda just facelifted the CX-9 so we can expect at least another couple of years. GM is soldiering on with Lambdas that are essentially unchanged since 2006. And the Honda Pilot is old too. The newer entries in this segment from the Explorer to the Santa Fe to the Pathfinder and now the Highlander really haven't moved the needle that much to the point where really old cars remain competitive.
  • Options
    zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    It should be noted here that the Highlander just nipped a vehicle that, while modestly updated, is now in it's 9th year of production! I've driven the CX-9 and it's a very good experience. Also, the Highlander's 3rd row is a joke in comparison not only to the CX-9, but every other true mid-sized CUV/SUV. And adding a 3rd seat belt just makes the joke that much more funny! Granted, Mazda needs to do a full refresh, but they can hold their heads high in losing by only one point against a model that's been out for only 2 years.
  • Options
    trexdinotrexdino Member Posts: 6
    The current generation Highlander (2014+) is a FMC - it's significantly different from the prior gen ('08-'13) - i.e. it's not in it's 9th year of production. OTOH, the CX-9 is ancient - the Mazda CX-9 desperately needs a thorough Skyactiv update.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    "Two SUVs and two Edmunds.com editors Face Off: the Toyota Highlander vs the Mazda CX-9. Editors James Riswick and Mike Monticello debate the merits of each SEDAN"

SUV = Sedan Utility Vehicle?
  • Options
    meteor10meteor10 Member Posts: 59
    banhugh said:

"Two SUVs and two Edmunds.com editors Face Off: the Toyota Highlander vs the Mazda CX-9. Editors James Riswick and Mike Monticello debate the merits of each SEDAN"

SUV = Sedan Utility Vehicle?

sure)