Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Owners - Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• johnnycat8johnnycat8 Member Posts: 12
    but in california the only allowable amber light facing forward are turnsignals. but most people dont know that its only a fixit ticket and if you get caughtfor it you were probaly doing somthig else wrong or got a teed off cop. i agree with you they look and stand out better. i get asked about them all most as much as the avalanche.....lol
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Other GM's come with amber DRL's. Do the Camaros come with white DRL's just in Calif.?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Well the wife picks up her new Avalanche this afternoon. The Red with leather and sunroof and Z71 package. Had a very long and heavy downpour overnight the other night and I went to the dealers first thing and outside of a few drops in the bed near the edge like the books says can happen the cab was dry. Took it out on a bumpy road and no rattles so looks like we may be off to a good start. She traded in her Honda Odyssey and sure wish the resale value on the Avalanche would be even close. Got $24k out of a 01 van that stickered at $28.8. Not bad for a little less than 2 years. At least here I shouldn't have to put up with those DC van people that also thought their vans were the best.
  • brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    You're wife will LOVE the AV. The bed has a 'water management system.' What that means, in essence, is if the object is on the rubber mat, it should stay dry. Water along the sides and under the mat is acceptable.

The AV looks 'mean' on the road so those little DC van people should just move out of the way. :)

Enjoy!
  • strtnovr2003strtnovr2003 Member Posts: 1
    i purchased my 02 avalanche Nov 01...it has 50k miles and at 36k miles, i was driving down the road while it was raining and guess what i had 2 inches of water in the passenger area floorboard. to make a long story short...this is a known problem at the chevy corp...after 3 attempts of GO Chevrolet, clinton NC they said, it's a design fault and can't be fixed...on top of that, like one of the other owners, rental car after rental car while they are working on this "AVALEMON"...the rental car, toyota corolla..basic...that just about killed me right there...but this truck is constantly leaking,..thought it was only when the panels are off...but also with the panels on...by the way...all those panels will fade...loose their seal ...etc...so expect the worse with the avalanche...it makes me sick that i paid 18k down on this and now look what i have...also, the dash lights go on and off...well that's a cluster mechansism which costs 262 bucks...with extended warranty you have to pay 100 bucks...i'm like all the resst of you people...love the ride..nothing like it, but the stress of all this is just unreal...well, i've got my 4th and final try to fix monday..and the chev corp will give me the verdict wednesday...according to NC lemon law, they have to buy my truck back...so we'll see...it's SERVICE AFTER THE SELL that kills me...Fleecing of America...Amen, this is one way...Oh also, when it floods, the airbag module goes out...already done that and replaced...so, guess that's about it for now....will keep you posted....
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    some do get lemons and they come from all manufacturers.

I have had my avy longer than you and have had no problems......none ...nil.......

No leaks.....none dry as a bone.......
    no seals coming loose none....

good luck with yours....

there is a TSB about a floor seam not sealed properly....and a hole in rear fenderwells....or something like that....so it may not be a midgate leak...
  • justdoit5331justdoit5331 Member Posts: 1
    I am concerned now about rollover with my AV. The insurance company has upped the cost 80% due to possible rollover problems. Has anyone else faced this or know if this is a real issue? Anyone know of a rollover with this vehicle?
  • brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    Upped the insurance compared to what? If it's compared to an older sedan, 80% can make sense. If they raied it 80% in one year of ownership and nothing else changed, I'd call and start asking questions.

The Avalanche is a truck. It is more prone to roll over than, say, a Toyota Corolla. I don't beleive it's more likely to roll over than any other truck. You can check out results of tests at www.nhtsa.dot.gov (http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2248.html for the AV) or http://www.highwaysafety.org/.
  • imaniguanaimaniguana Member Posts: 19
    Hi everyone. Just checking in. I am one of the original members from way back, when this board was started. I bought an 02 Forest Green Z71 in Oct. 01. I kept that until Jan. 03, when I traded in for an 03 Dark Grey Metallic Z71. I just had to take advantage of the incentives and rebates. I'm glad I did. Good to see the board here is still alive.
    It is here but not very active hehehe
    but at least it's civil.
    GO back in the gid avalanche thread to say Dec 2001 and Jan 2002....interesting stuff.....

Had fun back then....
    Heck back then you did not like avy txtank1...hehehehe

txyank1 "Chevrolet Avalanche" Oct 4, 2001 9:04am

I notice you like it now...great!
    that was just a good-natured dig.....sorta. But once you drive one you're hooked. So it took nearly a yr and a half and a WBH to get me. But hey now I'd even own a Classic (cladded),
    All is good txyank.......

Which do you like better? wbh or cladded?
    better but overall......WBH. But ...I don't like getting shortchanged on the color-matched mirrors and door handles.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I just bought the base model 2WD Avalanche with the chrome bumpers and just the wheel moldings and side molding. Sport red - neat color. It has a Z66 decal on the side but no Z66 suspension. Funny. Anyone know why?
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    My 2004 Avalanche's instrument panel surround pops off easily. It is identical to the one used on the Escalade except for the wood trim. I'd prefer the Escalade one and it appears that you could just swap them after ordering one from the Cadillac dealer. It even looks like it is the same color (grey). Has anyone done this?
    Many Owners have. Look for JPCustoms on line. They have seveal different styles to choose from. The Escalade Platinum being the latest and really nice. Looks similar to the '02 Escalade which won't work on '03 or newer.
    As for the Z66 label and np Z66 package. Sounds like a plain ol' scrrewup.
  • homer8homer8 Member Posts: 1
    I am posting this to help others and get this information on the internet. I own a 2005 Avalanche 1500 2/WD with 22000 miles. At about 19000 miles, while driving at night I heard a click the lights in the Instrument Panel went out. Dealer replaced the Instrument Panel, with in 3 days another click and the lights went out. Dealer replaced Instrument Panel and the next time I drive at night "Click" and the lights went out. Now my dealer has had my truck in his shop for 7 days and I don't know when I will get it back. For a vehicle to blow 4 Instrument Panels, which cost $600.00 a piece plus installation, makes me wonder if this might be a common problem and a recall should made so GM would be responsible for repairs. I will also send this to the NTSB. :lemon:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If I was you I would ask this question somewhere else as you can see the last post here was in 2004, so no one is home.
    1st I've heard of that problem.
  • daves02avldaves02avl Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if GM is going to upgrade the analog systems in vehicles when it has to be switched in 2008. Or is the money that is being paid for onstar out the window in 2008. No onstar or phone service period. Wasted money put into vehicle when purchased
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a local newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have just purchased a 2007 Chevy Silverado, Chevy Avalanche or GMC Sierra. Please reply to [email protected] no later than Friday, December 1, 2006 with your daytime contact info.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    If you have a 2007 you're covered. GM won't pay for the upgrade for others. For vehicles that are upgradable (check OnStar web site) OnStar says it's "free", so long as you pay for a service commitment (maybe two years up front?). I originally called OnStar about this back when I had my 04 Silverado (upgrade available).
  • tmcdaniel30tmcdaniel30 Member Posts: 1
    Im fixing to purchase a vehicle for my 18, very responsible son in the next week or 2. His heart is set on the Avalanche. Im scared because Ive been told that there are too many things that can and do go wrong with this truck. Is this a smart buy or not for this single Mom that knows zero??????? I will have to buy a preowned one at that 2004-2005 maybe? Help me if u can..
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Responsible or not, the Avalanche is not a great first car. Of course he has his heart set on it - he's not paying for it! Who pays for the gas (cheap now but could go back up) and insurance? Check out Consumer's Reports and other publications for good first car candidates.
    But on the plus side, it IS one of the safest to be in if involved in an accident. ;)
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    You have a point. But the safest vehicle on the road is the one with a safe driver in it. While the Avalanche is safe in an accident, what about the other vehicle involved in a 2-car smash up? Most likely the Avalanche will out-weigh it and cause more damage than it receives. I know; what about the other "unsafe" drivers out there? Odds are an 18 yr old driver will more likely than not be a cause of an accident, not the victim of it. Rack it up to hormones, inexperience, drinking/drugs or other "meds", not knowing safe limits, distractions with cell phone and texting, etc. We've all been 18 before - you know what I mean. Nothing against mom saying her son is very responsible, but every parent thinks their children are perfect angels or some version of it. I'm for the son have a vehicle and nothing against mom buying him one, but I'm also thinking about the safety of all the other drivers on the road as well.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Agreed. I want me in a Suburban, and everyone else's teenagers in bright orange Yaris with blinking lights on the roof. ;)
  • west8west8 Member Posts: 4
    like my truck but i think some idiot drove it in fourwheel in the city and didn't know it it only has 75000 and my transfercase is screwed i have only used the four wheel twice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who recently bought a used large truck or large SUV. If you have purchased a used large truck or SUV in the past 6 months, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email [email protected] no later than 1 p.m. Pacific/ 4 p.m. Eastern Wednesday, April 18, 2012 with your daytime contact information.