Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM built all V8 engines bad

freeflyer5freeflyer5 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
GM has built all cars/trucks with known bad engines. Do a search for silverado rod knock/bearing knock. The problem is two fold. They have crankshaft flex because of an improperly supported crank and the crank is flexing knocking against the bearings. They also have a teflon coated skirtless piston problem where the teflon wears off after the first 1000 miles and leaves the pistons out of tolerance. When you start the engine with either or both problems your will here a rattle/tick/knock. If you look at alldata for TSB's you will find almost every v8 they built since at least 98 shows a tsb for these issues. They also have an engine exchange program for those of us who [non-permissible content removed] loudly enough. They offered me a new engine or a fixed engine and 100k 6yr warranty bumper to bumper. They would not do that unless they had a problem.

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    all the truck engines are garbage

Quick question for ya how many trucks have broke down or have had any performance losses due to this knocking tapping or whatever you wanna call it?

Ryan
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    I hear the crickets..... LOL
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    to keep their truck for awhile. With the known issues, I wouldn't keep mine past the 5/100k bumper to bumper warranty. Get's ya kinda thinking if this was GM's plan from the start...
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    You could be right about that. But it does seem to be kinda of an ISOLATED incident. I have not heard about that many people having the issue since the model year 01.. but then again who knows.. time will tell...

Jim
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    I'm really starting to feel left out. I haven't had a damn thing wrong or go wrong with my truck. Suppose I should complain to GM about it?
    -- Don
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Just turned 8000mi on my 2001 Silverado 1/2t with 1100-1200 miles towing/hauling light trailer and cargo (2000lb). If anything it runs better now than it did brand new! No quality related problems at all.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    My engine runs quiet. I think the problem is alot of folks are buying trucks for the first time and get bugged out when they hear a noise. LOL-my leaf springs groan a little when they're being compressed; you think I should look into a buyback?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Has a slight tap in the morning when i start it up lasts a max of 5 seconds.

Do i think it will cause any premature failure at this point nope.
    aren't you the same guy that spent $26/qt for gear oil?
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    I have an electric oil pump (pre-luber) if anyone is interested... Works great, prevents dry start & cools down after shut-down.

Quick save your engine, buy now!

http://www.enginelube.com/TypesFrameSet.htm

I have the version with spin on oil filter adapter & t-plug off drain. This would stop your morning ticking...

But to be perfectly honest, the damm thing is really loud, obnoxiously!!! So I'll sell it for half the new price. Let me know.

Still, may be the answer chevy was looking for.
    -Eric

• joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Anyone that mentions dry starts never overhauled an engine,oil is everywhere even on the bearings,very messy job.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Tell this forum how many miles are on your truck and what if any problems with the engine you've experienced? I'm curious as to the longevity especially of the 5.3 v8 since I plan on keeping the truck for at least 7-8 years.
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    2000 C2500 5.7L 3/4 ton highly modified pick-um up. Has 30,000 trouble free miles so
    far. Of course mine is last of the infamous 350 small blocks. ALso maybe the very loud
    Flowmaster keeps knocking and pinging noises silent if there were such a thing. Funny thing is
    I ve never had a Chevy vehicle ping, tick, ding, kock, cough, spit, miss since 1961
    when i had my 265 cu in BelAire hartop.....Have had FORDS too, no problem there
    either...hmmmmm
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Today is the first time I've encountered a real bad pinging when I really stomped on it. Have heard some before but never like this. I've gone through half a tank from the most recent fillup so doesn't seem like it would be just bad gas. Kinda weird. (7,000 mi. on '01 5.3) I've always used 87 octane and it's worked fine.
  • swooshmanswooshman Member Posts: 56
    Hey guys... I have a 1994 Z71 with a 350 cubic inch engine.. Everything is stock as of yet.. I have 155000 kilometers on the truck so far and havn't had any major problems... Anyone know any tricks that give better performance with this engines?? I would also like to know how to save a little more on fuel if anyone could help.. Anyhow I believe that GM makes great engines, afterall they are the "longest lasting trucks on the road".. Swoowh Man
  • phillipmphillipm Member Posts: 32
    I believe 1956 was the last year Chevrolet put the 265 cu. in. motor in a Bel Air. Starting in 1957 they went to the 283 cu. in. motor. Your 1961 should have had a 283 motor if it was the motor that came from the factory. Irregardless, both motors were damn good small block Chevrolet motors that DIDN'T knock, ping, or rattle like the new motors are supposedly doing.
    bat outa hell. Not to mention being loaded with lead...
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    I have rebuilt many small-blocks. Oil everywhere is not the case for starting. Lifters deflate over a few days, oil drains back down to the pan, the cam & rockers are only tacky with film, many filters don't have anti-drain valve's, and so on & so forth...

Ever built one? Even with all the assembly lube (sticky goey stuff) every decent builder pre-lubes off the oil pump. Now if it is so bad, why would they do this?

Read any ASE or ASME report on this, and you will understand. It isn't as bad as it sounds, just facts are facts, and the most damage you do to your engine (besides possible over-rev/ over taxing) is starting it.
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    in High school. Just turned 15 1/2, DMV made a mistake and gave me a license instead
    of a permit. Millions of teens gettting licenses that year. My '55 had the 210 option, a
    265 Cu inch V8 w/ 4bbl carb, powerglide, 45 rpm record player on the hump,
    reverb, dual exhaust. Hood was nosed, and vehicle painted Diamond black enamel and
    was very quick for a stocker. Turned 86 mph in 16 sec at Lyons Drag Strip, smoked
    a 57 Ford Fairlane with 312-4V T-Bird engine. In those years gasolene was ultra high
    octane leaded. In 70's and 80's i owned GMC, Chevy and Ford pick-ups. None ever
    pinged when cold or going uphill under load. Those years were auto industry's worst
    years for decent running cars.
    those were pretty hot cars. In '63 I had '57 210 2dr sedan with a 265 Power pak engine from a '56. Would run dead even with a Bel Aire Hardtop w/283 powerpak. Your times/speed are are about the same as what my '88 Cultass Calais would do with the quad 4! And it would get 30 mpg doing it.
    Well, Oby, that brings back memories! Had a '64, 427 Ford that seldom got more than 3K miles on a set of plugs with the timing curve I had in it and the way I drove it. I think we've gone soft; or maybe sane.
    -- Don
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    talked to a GM service manager at a car show this weekend, and I questioned him on the ticking noise in the new v8 engines and what he said is that it isn't uncommon to have some ticking noise on start-up due to the fact of the roller rockers and shorter skirts on the pistons, that only if the ticking noise was present at idle when the engine is at running temp. should there be a concern. Supposedly the engine tolerances were set at running temp. not a cold engine. What's your take on this?
    Mine doesn't do it on start ups...rather at idle. Just waiting for the motor to blow so that I can get a new one under warranty. Course could also do the red thing and drain all the oil out and take it for a blast on the freeway.......

minikin

Had a '64 Galaxie 500 with the 390. Could never tune that Carter 4bbl carb worth anything. Was a hard start from day 1 till 1970 when I finally got rid of it...no a/c either.....
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    In 1956 and 1957 I bought brand new Bel-Air hardtops with the Power Pak each year. The 1956 had the 265 cu. inch engine and was rated at 205 HP with the power pak. I raced it against every car that wanted to race and anywhere they wanted to race it. Much of it was in the curvy mountain roads of Montana. I was never beat with that car, however flat out the top speed registered only 105 mph. It was an absolutely great car and great performing engine. Then after 31,500 miles in 10 and 1/2 months, I traded it for a new 1957 Bel Air hardtop with the Power-Pak with a grand total of 220 HP in the 283 ci. engine. That car was never the speed wagon that the 1956 was. I was beat by a 1957 Pontiac which was never beat until 1960. But there never was a Ford that could beat me. I finally sold it for $135. The kid who bought my 1956 intended to keep up its reputation, and he rolled it up into a little ball -= he lived. I think they were both good engines even tho I blew up 2 in the 1957 - and I mean completely apart. Chev paid for both.
    cowboyjohn
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    >lifters deflate over a few days< You lost it there,what you said is not creditable.If that was the case you would have rattling lifters all over the place.Any repair manual will tell you to tighten the valve train down slowly unless you have bled down the lifters or you will bend a valve,a good lifter is hard to get oil out of.

The modern oils with the additives don't drain off completely,it leaves a film.

So forth & so on is kind of wishy washy.
    And no power steering, either. 3x2s never sync'ed right, even worse than my (later) XK-E 3 side draft SU's (which I actually did figure out how to balance and tune!)Drove the family across the AZ/CA desert through Needles in that Ford mid-summer, water bags hanging in front of the grille, no complete interstates yet. Wow, life really did used to suck, didn't it?
    -- Don
    but gas as referred to as ethyl was $.25 a gallon making $5.00 go a long way.....think cigarettes was about there for a pack too...
    Gulf came out with Gulftane at 19 cents a gallon. I have no idea what the octane was, but the only vehicle we had that would run on it was our '61 VW Bug. All you could do to squeeze $2 worth in.
  • suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    That's a pretty generic statement, without solid emperical evidene to back it up. Not trying to fan flames or hit a hot button;
    BUT!
    I've got a 99 K1500 Suburban (1/2 ton 4WD); I towed a 6500 lb travel trailer with two kids, stuff, my wife, and my 6'5" 285 lb self; We went thru Kansas at 70 m.p.h in 115 degree heat; The only thing I burned was fuel. In Denver, I went up to Estes Park, and hit an awful camp-site; Awful, because I had to BACK push my trailer into a site, that small valley between me and the site;
    The 350 wasn't strong enough to push, my engine temp went up to 265! At that point, I pulled into a level pull through lot; I was kinda scared, but no worries! That 5.7L is a tank, so's the tranny, and everything else;

NOW, I've got a friend who lives in Ainsworth, NE (up by south dakota line) who got 450,000 outta his '89 burb; He swears by this little formula
    1) change your oil every 2-2500 miles
    2) use Phillps Trop Artic oil

that's my story; I do think you can get a lemon V8 (yuck that sounds awful to drink) in anything; but I've had good luck with mine;
    gas I ever bought was 18 cents/gallon in San Antonio in late 1961 or early 1962. At least in absolute $$. Anybody out there know offhand how much that is today? Reg gas in DC was $1.659 this week & only $1.299 in Denver. What's with that? The other thing is, Oby, that Ford was in the 10 mpg class. My commuter car today is a V-6 Accord that, considering tires and all, could damn near keep up with that old Ford over a 1/4 and gets 30 mpg on cruise at 80 through Kansas in the summer with the A/C on.
    -- Don
    do it with nylon tires? hehe
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    "In Denver, I went up to Estes Park, and hit an awful camp-site; Awful, because I had to BACK push my trailer into a site, that small valley between me and the site;
    The 350 wasn't strong enough to push, my engine temp went up to 265!"

Next time you are maneuvering your trailer - put your transfer case into 4-LO. That is one of the beauties of having 4WD. It makes maneuvering much easier on your engine and tranny.
  • suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the suggestion! I never even thought about that! I guess you could also use to push trashy obstacles out of the way, like tham thar Ford Pickups! :)
This discussion has been closed.