Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

6.5 injector pumps

oceanrescue1oceanrescue1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in GMC
we have now replaced our second injector pump on our ambulance, this time it failed while we were doing cpr on a patient. any body have any simular experiences. Also have a ford 7.2 liter
on a ambulance chassie that throws v-belts at any given time for says don't worry they were designed to have one v-belt run 165 amp alternatorand anda vacum pump!? go figure that one out.

Comments

• lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I would get used to the injector pumps going out the GM 6.5 is famous for that.
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    well thats a bunch of BS.

You should get about 100-120k on an injector pump, since it is an ambulance I figure you get lots of miles on it? If you didn't get that much then the rebuilt pump had some sort of problem.

www.thedieselpage.com has suppliers listed that lots of members have dealt with, you should be able to get a good one.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    The injection pump just started going out on our 96 GMC K2500 6.5L TD. For now its an intermittant problem. The truck has 79K on it and this is the first time we have had this problem, it still has the original green dot pump.
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    On an ambulance that has to be a problem. It would be enough of one on a private vehicle, but when lives depend on it a vehicle should be reliable, right down to the belts. You didn't say what the belt(s) that are being thrown operate. Is it one belt, or more?

I've never had a "belt thrower" but that would seem to be a simple problem to isolate and solve, especially if it is only one belt that does it. There can only be a few reasons I see to cause that. Misalignment of one of the things it is turning, wrong pully on a device it is turning, wrong belt, wrong tension on the belt, or something in one of the devices being turned beginning to fail, perhaps causing intermittent "freezing".
This discussion has been closed.