Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero Brake Pad Problem

madgyymadgyy Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Oldsmobile
Hi All,
I'm having a problem with my local Oldsmobile Dealer. At 16,000 miles I noticed an annoying squealing noise coming from what seemed to me was my front wheels. I asked some mechanic-friends what it might be and they told me to go to my dealer. My dealer told me that I needed new brake pads but since the warranty expires at 12,000 I would have to pay +$100 for them. SO I went to a local mechanic who charged less and he informed me that my pads were worn unevenly and that the calipers were off. He also told me that it was a manufacturer's defect and Olds would have to fix it for free. WELL, Olds told me a different story and ended up charging me for the front pads. 10ft out of the shop with my brand new pads, I heard the squeal again. It was now my BACK brakes squealing!! They didn't fix the problem I had brought the car in for (the squeal) and now I need more brakes. What should I do!?

I just want to know if any other Alero or GM owners have experienced odd brake wear, and whether I should pursue my fight with Olds or just get new brakes and hope it doesn't happen again.

Thanks a bunch,
Crystal

Comments

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    You should have a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.
    Look over your owners manual very carefully, it should state the warranty period.
    I checked a 2000 Alero and it is 3/36, so I've got to assume that yours is the same. Check your owners manual. But I will check with GM and see what it is for the 2001 model and let you know for certain tomorrow evening, unless someone else can verify it.

Is there another Olds dealer that you could go to? The one you are going to, doesn't sound like the have a clue.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Brake pads are considered a maintenance item and not usually covered under warranty. HOWEVER, if you are seeing just one pad wearing significantly faster than the other, such as inboard pad still at 80% when the outboard is at metal, then the problem is not the driver, it is a caliper stuck in the guides and not "floating" and that IS a warranty item. And the Olds warranty is AT LEAST 3/36, sometimes more due to the impending demise of the nameplate garnering additional incentives for buyers.
This discussion has been closed.