Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rishiprasadrishiprasad Member Posts: 6
    What dealer gave you that price? I'm also looking in Chicago but haven't gotten that low. Patrick Hyundai is close to that but they have nothing in stock. Was this their internet quote or did you haggle to get it.

I assume by OTD you mean with sales tax. What's your tax rate? It sounds like you paid under 20K before tax since your tax rate is likely 8 or 9%. If you want to email me details that would be totally appreciated. risprasa@gmail.com
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Am I misreading your comments? I'd think you would subtract the $18,250 trade-in allowance from the price of $27,995 leaving you with about $9800 for the new car. Or, do you still owe $13K or so on the Mustang?
  • Options
    05t105t1 Member Posts: 11
    It included everything, Pugi in Downersgrove. Car had just come in.
  • Options
    dodgerdealdodgerdeal Member Posts: 21
    That's a really good deal, under 20K including the pop package. That's what I had to pay for a GLS w/o the package. I guess the pricing really does vary by region. There's no way anyone in the Dallas area could get that price.
  • Options
    All taxes included, all fees included, tax rate 7.75%, dealership was Pugi in Downersgrove, recommended by my cousin who bought a car there. No haggling, did a lot of research, nobody could beat the price.
  • Options
    Don't forget about the Motozuma matching listed on the savings matching under special offers. You have to have the account open for 30 days but on the Elantra board, someone mentioned you can put the money in the account the day before you buy. Unfortunately, I missed out on this offer.
  • Options
    kel7298kel7298 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2011
    yes, I still owe that on the mustang.

I suppose I was hoping that the price for the car and the mustang were spot on.
  • Options
    _esch__esch_ Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it was for a non-turbo.

25k for a turbo would be kind of ridiculous, I think.
  • Options
    Is it just me or is this one expensive car to insure. It's $123 more each 6 months than a 2010 CRV with the same coverages.
  • Options
    kel7298kel7298 Member Posts: 3
    The opposite for me, tho I traded a mustang for the Sonata. Saved $14.50

I ended up getting mine for $27800, $2430 off list.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to interview recent first-time Hyundai buyers who would consider buying another Hyundai down the road, based on their experience with the brand so far. Please email your make, model and daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com by September 13, 2011.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    doks51doks51 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I'm interested in buying a 2012 Sonata Ltd. I find that prices in other states are lower (about $1000 - 1500) than the best deal in california. Did anyone buy out of state and bring in to california? Was it easy or a hassle? What do I need to look our for?

Thank you.
  • Options
    sonata_fansonata_fan Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Hi
    I received an online offer from a dealer for an used 2011 Sonata GLS with 22k miles for $16.7 + TTL.
    It was a previous rental car and the color is Indescent Blue Pearl. Is it a good price?

Thanks
  • Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I would say if it says rental on the car fax then stay far away. My brother had one and many dealers did not want it when he tried to trade it in. He had a heck of a time getting rid of it. On the other hand if you drive them till the wheels fall off then offer them offer them trade in value for the car because I know that they got it much cheaper than that.
  • Options
    Hyundai makes it very difficult for me to find a white Sonata with the black/wine leather interior online. All of the dealers in Cincy do not show a real picture of the car on their website and then they do not even list the interior color. I would usually find the car I want and then deal through email. These guys are making it tough. Any tricks out there?
  • Options
    bluepbluep Member Posts: 29
    THE FIRST SONATA I HAD WAS A 2010 SE WITH THE TURBO,I HAD 4200 MILES ON LOVED IT SO MUCH I TRADED IT FOR A 2012 SE ,I JUST THINK IT IS GREAT CAR FOR THE MONEY,I HAD MUSTANGS BEFORE THEY WERE NICE BUT THIS SONATA HAS ALL THE POWER AND GREAT GAS MILAGE.PLUS YOU DONT PAY A ARM AND A LEG FOR THEM.PS MY LAST TRIP I GOT 33 MILES TO A GALLON ITS GREAT.ANYONE LOOKING FOR A CAR SHOULD DRIVE ONE WITH THE TURBO. GO HYUNDAI.
  • Options
    purpleacepurpleace Member Posts: 1
    Just want you to know from my experience ...since july 1st....I have been searching for the 2012 Shimmering white 2.0 T LIMITED with NAV w/ wine interior and or Camel leather interior. I emailed customer service Hyundai....it is up to dealers....if they have requested this particular combo or not...if they have ...doesnt mean they will get it...it is about supply and demand. And unfortunately, those combinations are very rare...I live in the Southeast and there is niether one of these around this region. I gave up on wine interior and went with Camel Leather..I prefer it because of the heat in the south. Good news...I found exactly what I want in the Northeast way up North...there are only 25 as I have been told , for now....so I fly Friday to Pick it up and enjoy a nice drive home over the weekend....good luck in your search...dont give up...you will find it eventually....there are NO tricks...
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. This is for my wife and she said this time she is going to get exactly what she wants. So for any dealers out there I need a white Limited with the wine/black leather :blush:
  • Options
    mannygomannygo Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2011
    These forums have been great to me so wanted to contribute back. Just bought a 2012 Sonata 2.0T Limited without Navi in Denver Colorado.

MSRP : $29005
    Selling Price : $26550 (without TTL or trade in)
    Doce fee : $499
    Trade In Price : $2900 (99 Accord)

Took about couple of hours to negotiate this deal. No dealer installed accessories. They had to get the car from another dealership because of the specific color I wanted. Next day when i go to pick up the car i notice a clear bra on the car. The other dealership had installed this clear bra but i did not end up paying for it as it had not been negotiated as part of the deal. Took 5 minutes to clear that. Overall a good experience.
  • Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    your driveing record and the state in which you live can also affect your insurance rates.
  • Options
    starlight5starlight5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    I am in the chicagoland area and am looking for a similar car GLS w/ Pop Pkg. What other options were included in additional $200. And you mentioned no haggle pricing, did you just go in and specified the price or did they give it to. Any advice so I can get a similar deal?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    The options were the floor mats, mud guards, net for the trunk and a coating they put on the back bumper. I did very little haggling since they were about $1200 less than another dealer that claimed it was a deal that he would give to his sister. Also looked on the internet website Trucar which gives the best pricing for our area and mine was better than best.
  • Options
    p6r2h4p6r2h4 Member Posts: 3
    Don't know if this is the place for this question, but I ordered a 2012 Sonata SE and I am considering ordering the WeatherTec floor mats? Has anyone else bought them? Do they fit properly without any additional cutting? Is there a better floor mat product worth considering?
    Thanks in advance for any input.
  • Options
    starlight5starlight5 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks
  • Options
    newtrix1newtrix1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Just bought 2012 GLS Auto POP Mats,CargoMat,CargoNet,Bumper Applique
    20,711 (Invoice)
    Las Vegas, Planet Hyundai Centennial
    Presented dealer with best TrueCar (200 miles away) for $700 under invoice. They balked and countered at invoice. Which is $300 better than USAA price. TrueCar puts it barely into Great Price Category. Las Vegas Inventory on GLS is very low. like 4 in the whole city.
    Dealer snuck in $500 VTR (Window Etching)
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I have their mats for my Outlander. As I live in the snow/slush belt (Chicago area) I use the WeatherTechs in winter & the regular carpeted mats in summer. I find they do a very good job of keeping snow & slush from getting to the surrounding carpet. They have cutouts that fit the OEM mat hooks so they don't slide around and are deep enough that any liquid doesn't get over the sides.

If the mats for your car are "DigitalFit" then they'll fit perfectly, and that's what I see on their site for the '12 Sonata interior mats. The cargo liner for the trunk, if you were considering it, appears to not be DigitalFit so some trimming may be required. That seems to be the case with most cars.

Also, if you live in the Chicago area, you can go their to pick up the liners yourself; just call ahead to make sure they're in stock. They're in Downers Grove.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    Thanks. I live just 26 miles northeast of NYC so we get our share of snow not like Chicago of course but enough to need these kind of mats.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am waiting for my Sonata SE. I am wondering if there is any other place to get Tire and Wheel protection other than the dealership? I live 26 miles NE of NYC and the roads around here aren't that great. I think with the 18 inch wheels and low profile tires I will probably need it. Just trying to find how to get this protection at a good price.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  • Options
    rushin16rushin16 Member Posts: 4
    That sounds like a good deal. Does the POP mean Popular Package? Because Here in CT, the Invoice price for 2012 GLS auto with Pop. Package, cargo net, floor mats and bumper aplique is showing 21750. Which is the best price they offered me. How far below Invoice is a good price? Does anyone have recent prices to share in the Northeast. TrueCar best price for me is 20615, for a dealer located 100 miles away, who may or may not have the car in inventory. Is this a practical price, or I should expect to pay more.
  • Options
    javonmyboyjavonmyboy Member Posts: 1
    looking to purchase a 2012 gls sonata msrp 21815 dealer cost 20695 dealer says can walk otd for 21815 clear is this a good deal
  • Options
    rushin16rushin16 Member Posts: 4
    I would check Truecar.com, for accurate values. I got mine yesterday with the lowest value listed on Truecar. Your OTD may vary depending on Tax rates and registration fees, but overall, it looks like a decent deal to me. Good Luck!!
  • Options
    newtrixnewtrix Member Posts: 4
    Yes POP is Popular options Package. I think I did ok given the limited Hyundai dealerships in Vegas and their low inventory on GLS.
  • Options
    rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Anybody know when Hyundai will bring out the 2013 Sonata? If I recall, the 2012 came out shortly after the New Year. I'm hoping that's the case as I'd like to pick up a 2012 at the end of the model year. Thanks. Bob D.
  • Options
    I will never buy a Hyundai again. So far I have had my 2010 Sonata it in to get something fixed over 8 times and it is barely two years old.

I guess the red flag was withing two days of having it I noticed a nice and shiny black nut on the ground where I park it, the dealer found out where it came off in the engine compartment.

A piece of interior trim was found under the driver's seat which had to have been there before I bought it.

Then within the first month the driver's seat belt would not latch and had to be replaced.

I've had it in several times for the transmission which turned out each time to be software.

They had to replace a bad Brake Switch, The ESP "off" light kept coming on its own

The light switch went bad on the passenger's mirror which they replaced

The last caper is the low tire pressure light comes on even if the tires are OK. Makles you freak thinking you are about to get stuck in traffic when all is OK.

Hyundai built a lemon and it has cost me a lot of time and expense to bring it back to the dealership 45 miles each time, and they are notthe best as several times it had to go back to get it fixed right.

You can not depend on Hyundai for quality.
  • Options
    SIR WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?I HAVE 2 NEW SONATAS AND I CANT SAY ANYTING BAD I THINK YOU ARE OFF THE WALL.
  • Options
    SIR WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?I HAVE 2 NEW SONATAS AND I CANT SAY ANYTING BAD I THINK YOU ARE OFF THE WALL.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Have you looked into action under the Lemon Law of your state? If the same defect can't be fixed after repeated attempts, you should have a good case.

My 2007 Sonata has been a great car, very reliable, but every automaker makes some lemons.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    And our lowly Accent has been a very reliable car...I've recently taken it from my daughter to use. Not the most powerful thing, but I'm enjoying it and she has no problem with me using it for awhile as I pay for the petrol and service it...I end up servicing all the rigs in the family...the women in my house would rather I do it! But the Accent has been problem free and we might be adding another Hyundai to the fleet within the next year. Very sorry to hear about all your troubles...seems very unusual for a Hyundai of late!

Good luck! I am,

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    highway12highway12 Member Posts: 2
    What steps can I take to avoid buying a 2012 or 2011 Hydundai Sonata, new or used, with the problem of the car pulling to the left or right down the road and freeways? I like the car but am so afraid of buying a car that I will regret spending the money.

Thank you.
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    A thorough test drive comes immediately to mind.
  • Options
    longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited October 2011
    I would read through all the posts about the left pull problem and Hyundai solutions (that didn't work)

Here's one owners experience that really makes sense (Google)

I did take my car to the dealer and they were basically clueless and just tried to zero and align everthing - unsuccesffully. When i contacted the service manager about the failure... he said that they wanted to install a new "special strut". This did not get me to excited, so I said, "I would do some research and bring the car in". Well I took a look around for success with the special strut... For the most part, people that took this option were commenting that they thought there was a "slight" improvement, but it was nothing to write home about as they still felt a "slight pull". Then I started researching tires pulling. I asked around with some of my mechanics about that. My primary mechanic said that it could be the tires as no two tires and wheels are equal. After about 6 hours of reading and studying I think I can now start a tire manufacturing business.... or if nothing else, write a book.

I took the car to the dealer and requested that give me 4 new tires to take to my mechanic so he could install using his Road Force Balaning system (RF. They informed me that they had one of those machines and could do it at the dealer. (not everyone has these they are like 20,000 for the machine.) Anyway, before they removed the old tires, I had them test all 4. 2 of the 4 were reported by the machine to be defective showing the error code "Belt tension inconsistancy - RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT"... The dealer threw those two tires out and replaced them and installed all 4 tires using the full balancer system. The RFB tested the wheels and tires and identified which tires to match to specific wheels. The RFB then indicated to the technician where to place them on the car.

The car tracks perfectly down the road. On crown right roads it slooooowwly pulls right... on crown left roads it sloooooowly pulls left..... on flat roads or splitting the crown by putting the white line down the center of the car.. it tracks perfectly straight.

If you want to verify my research do a google search for "RADIAL PULL TIRES" or "RADIAL STEER TIRES". also try my favorite... "HANKOOK TIRES PULL ".... You will find all sorts of complaints with the tires....
  • Options
    mevandermevander Member Posts: 7
    You are off the wall. This forum is about prices paid and buying experience. I have friend who has a 2011 Sonata (limited package), had owned for 14 months with 19,000 miles and has had ZERO problems with her car.
  • Options
    jingarojingaro Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 2012 sonata 2.0T limited and received final price from NJ dealer. Please let me know whether below given price is good fit or not.

Model: 2012 White Shimmering Sonata 2.0T limited

Final price : $26472 ( Excluding Tax, Tags & doc fees)

Thanks
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I have had seven hyundai's and have never had any more than minor problems which were quickly resolved by the dealer. I would guess you got a rare "friday afternoon" sonata. Good luck.
  • Options
    I want to pay back this site for all the money it has saved me.
    Sticker = $27,550
    Truecar = $25,665
    Doc = $250.00
    Tags = $33.00
    Motozuma = - $500.00
    total = $25,448
    When my wife found a white Sonata with wine interior in a parking lot and said that that is the car she wants I said OK honey I will get it for you. After a few trips to various dealerships I knew I was in trouble. There are only 12 of these white/wine Sonata's in the country at this time. Well with using this site I learned about Motozuma and Truecar.com I was able to negotiate with the salesman and get it for $2000.00 under sticker. The dealership had to do a dealer trade and drive 200 miles to get it. The funny thing is here in Cincinnati most dealers on have 3 or 4 Sonatas on the lot so I feel pretty good about this deal. I did not add the 6.5% sales tax that we pay in my County to make it easy for everyone. Thanks Edmund's community
  • Options
    doks51doks51 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

This forum has been great help in making my decision to buy a sonata. Finally I bought my Sonata Limited (no nav) this weekend. It was very difficult to get a black with camel interior here in Southern California. As soon as one arrived, I grabbed it. Here are the purchase details:

MSRP: $27400 (Options: Mudguards, cargo net, cargo mat, carpets)
    Invoice: $25865
    Truecar: $25165

Purchase price: $24815
    Doc fee: $55
    Total Out the door: $26995 (incl tax, title and license)

I guess I got a good deal. I'm happy though!

Initial driving impressions:

First I thought this car didn't have the power I wanted, but guess what I was wrong. This car just flies. It was so smooth. I already put 500 miles over the weekend. This has good power. If I'm not watching, it goes above 80 easily. I got great reviews from all my friends and family. Everyone was so impressed with the options and the driving experience for that price. And I'm still driving on the first tank of gas that the dealer gave me....Awesome. I love the mileage (>35 mpg). I haven't used the ECO mode yet. I'll check it out next weekend...

Congrats to all the new buyers and good luck for the future ones. You'll love the car.

Thanks,
    Dan

P.S: Thank you Hyundai for making such a beautiful car.
  • Options
    jh88jh88 Member Posts: 1
    Congrats! Looks like a great deal. Can you share which dealership you purchased from and also the approach you took? Thanks...
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to add that I got the dealer to throw in the Paint and leather protection package that retails for $699.00.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited October 2011
    A reporter seeks to interview California residents who are currently considering purchasing a new vehicle, or who recently bought one. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, October 14, 2011 and indicate your city of residence, your daytime phone number, the vehicle of interest and the car model you currently drive.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    ckm2400ckm2400 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited ( No Nav or Turbo) Midnight Black with tan interior. Added features Carpeted Floor Mats, Cargo Net and Mud Guards. This car was extreamly hard to get in the area of Winston Salem NC. The dealer had to go and get the car from Columbia SC.

MSRP 27,350.00. My Base price 25,324.17 ( Tax 759.73, NCSI 13.60, License and Title 69.00, Dealer fees 599.50 which is set price) My OTD price 26,766.

After a lot of research and price comparison this car was the best value for the money and features. Thanks for all the post that heiped stear me in the direction of Hyundai.