Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Dodge 5.9 engine. Why don't people like them?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The Pre-'02 Rams are 400-500 pounds heavier than chevy and ford. That has a lot to do with the power you "feel".
  • Options
    ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Weight yes has something to do with it. But 4-500 Lbs will not effect the performance of an engine with no load in the back and only 1 driver. Granted the 5.9 is a good engine with plenty of power, but compared even to a 350 or a 305 the power seems t be "not all there" when talking about a Ram 1500. Even in My new Rado with the 4.8 the power feels more then it does in a Ram with a 5.9. The power is less compared to the base V8's from Chevy and Ford, and yes even the Toyot Tundra feels like it has more power compare to it. The power of the 5.9 can weel exceed over the 300Hp mark very easy. And the tourque can just get increased wih that. They should have redesigned the engine to produce more then GM or Ford for the '02 models...
  • Options
    There would be no reason to tweak an old engine that was originally slated for extixtion this year but was delayed until next year. The 5.7 hemi will be replacing the 5.9.

I've driven the 5.3, 4.8, and the 5.9 dodge. I disagree with your assesment of power in these as do the magazines.
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    I had a 5.9 on a '97 Ram. It wasn't that bad, but there are better engines coming out now. Peak torque and HP are not the same as useable numbers. In repeated day to day use, if the engine makes a big fuss producing the power you will tend not to use it, preferring to take it easy on the throttle.

Pros:
    Reliable. I never hear of Ram engine problems, just transmissions and brakes, mostly.
    Good torque

Cons:
    Noisy for the power output
    A little rough
    Poor Gas mileage (13 mpg empty)
    Mediocre transmission robs some of the power, I suspect.

I never noticed the deficits of this engine until I drove a Toyota Tundra with its more turbine-like V-8. So if you don't mind it, enjoy it. I'm looking at 2002 Rams (reg cab)now as a 2nd vehicle. I'd choose the 4.7, but I love the Ram's extra cab space and seat comfort compared to the competition. No other regular cab comes close in terms of storage and comfort.
  • Options
    bluehills1bluehills1 Member Posts: 1
    Reading all I can find about the new Ram 1500 5.9. As of yet I'm not fully educated about engines and become very frustrated with a "sales persons lines..." as far as what truck is better for what I need... outside of style and personal visual choice.
    As I am saving for a decent down payment could I have a non-sales persons opinion about A)is the 2002 Dodge Ram Quad (4.7/5.9 - 4WD) a strong or positive investment as compared to Chev/Ford & B)should I wait for the 5.7hemi (?) to arrive.
    I will be purchasing a four wheeled trailer to pull (for my business) and need to know will it have decent power (as well).

This will be a vehicle I will keep until it probably dies and cannot afford constant "shop visits." Both costly and business time consuming.
  • Options
    I tow a landscape trailer every day for work. I would say that you have adequate power for a trailer up to say, 4 or 5 thousand lbs, with either Dodge Engine. It also depends on how much you're annoyed by not having instant go power. Chevrolets resell higher than Dodges here in Georgia, but they also tend to cost more new. None of the US made trucks has a stellar reliablity record, so it's hard to say which is best there.

For style and personality, the Ram has an edge, but its a first year model. I drive a Tundra, and it tows great (much better than you'd think) , but it may be too small for some. I like its smaller size for manuverability since I never carry passengers anyway, but it's really too small in back for anyone but kids. it's also the most reliable, overall, in my opinion. Finally, it has fantastic resale (bought mine for $25,000 driveout in '99, it now is worth an estimated $18,000 with 30K 2 1/2 years later)
  • Options
    The Dodge has made great improvements on thier 2002 model 1500. The brakes are now the largest in the industry. Best bet is to test drive each and write down what you liked and disliked on each. Any of them will do the job and will likely get down to personal preference, financial deal and dealer service.
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    how reliable is the dakota? Would it fair well compared against the Tacoma's reliability?

Leo
  • Options
    ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    Bruce,
    I care for your Tundra, but as you say it's was too small for me when I was looking. Plus the price turned me off. Happy with the EXT cab 4x4 Rado. And it outmuscles the Tundra. he thing I did like about the Tundra was the Tourque. That's about it. The Ram's were a top decision of mine along with the Ford's. I don't like the Ram because I thought the engine felt weak. As to the guy saying I am wrong and all the mags are right, I invite you to look at some dyno tests of different cars and trucks. Youmight be suprised on what you learn. I never said the 5.9 was a bad engine, just underpowered that's all. I hoe the new engine has more power. The Chevy/GM Vortec's are beating them in HP!!
  • Options
    and my Tundra cares for you, too. : )

Seriously, I, or rather my wife, had a 2wd 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3L and my Tundra feels distinctly quicker, even the the 5.3L is rated higher for both hp and torque. Maybe it's that it's smoother at high rpm's than the pushrod 5.3L and only seems more powerful, or the Tahoe was geared high. But that Toyota engine is a fine one. I was pleasantly surprised by it.
  • Options
    rmtbkrrmtbkr Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the new Dodge 5.7
    is scheduled to be available in the RAM 1500?
  • Options
    The 5.7 will first appear as the standard engine in the 2500/3500 trucks. It will be available on a limited basis in the 1500 starting next January.
  • Options
    dodgeram10dodgeram10 Member Posts: 74
    345HP AT 5600RPM
    365FT-IBS TORQUE AT 4400RPM

For additional info go to Pickuptruck.com.
This discussion has been closed.